Thread: TBS airing this year's NCAA Tournament Selection Show, expanding back to 2 hours

Default TBS airing this year's NCAA Tournament Selection Show, expanding back to 2 hours

Ugh....They're going to drag it out like 2016. Terrible decision.

For the first time since handing the NCAA a bucket of money to air NCAA Tournament games nearly a decade ago, Turner Sports will be airing the NCAA Tournament Selection Show. On Wednesday, Turner announced the Selection Show’s move to TBS for 2018. TBS will also air the Final Four and National Championship this year, with CBS taking back the three games and the Selection Show next year. The Selection Show had aired on CBS since 1982.

Sports Business Journal also reports that the show this year will be back to two hours, a format that came under a hell of a lot of scrutiny in 2016. The NCAA cut the show to 90 minutes in 2017 after that criticism, but ratings still dropped just like they did in 2016. The Selection Show won’t have the luxury of a strong lead-in this year, either – SBJ reports that TBS plans on airing reruns of The Big Bang Theory prior to the Selection Show, a drastic shift from CBS, which typically led in to the Selection Show with the Big Ten Championship game. That won’t be a possibility this year, given that the Big Ten title game airs a week earlier.
    http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/tbs-...two-hours.html

I don't care if it is two hours. What caused all the complaints is that it took them 40 minutes to go through the East Region until they announced the bracket for the Midwest region. This is what led to the bracket leak on twitter. Dozens of teams had to wait for God knows how long to find out if they were in the dance. Coaches actually started preparing for their opponent as soon as the leak happened. They turned the TV off. Announce the brackets first, do the in depth analysis later. Apparently this will occur according to the article. Thank God!

I feel like I am the only person in the world who feels this, but while I don't mind if the Selection Show and The Final Four and Title Game is on Turner if I get the chance to watch any game I want for free, a significant amount of people in this nation like my Dad, who is living on a strict retirement income, do not own cable or dish television. That number is increasing as people realize what a rip off it is and as more people are financially struggling. I can't believe what I pay for my Direct TV service. It's just not the cost of the channels, but for the DVR, the equipment, service and repair, etc. Let's put it this way: I could buy groceries (and more) and fuel for the week for the amount of money I spend on D-TV when I can just put an antenna on my roof and get TV for free. That's exactly what my pop does. You can watch the tourney on the internet for a period, but I guess even that costs money at some point once you hit your time limit. He feels he should be able to watch New Mexico State (who wins the WAC most years) as he lives in state, but he can't. They always end up on TNT.

Just as long as they reveal the brackets first, then do all their talking head crap. What made it so bad 2 years ago was they'd reveal a quadrant, then "analyze" and make predictions, while the rest of the field was still unknown. It was absurd and if memory serves someone leaked the full bracket online during the show because of it.

I guess I don't really care what channel the NCAA bracket show is on. Will TBS have the same announcers as the CBS show, or will we be entertained by some sort of amateur hour bozos who know nothing about basketball?
    If it is on Turner Sports, perhaps we could have Ted Turner and Jane Fonda engaging in some clever ex-spouse back-and-forth dialog while the two of them announce the brackets?

I would pay money to watch that show.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I don't care if it is two hours. What caused all the complaints is that it took them 40 minutes to go through the East Region until they announced the bracket for the Midwest region. This is what led to the bracket leak on twitter. Dozens of teams had to wait for God knows how long to find out if they were in the dance. Coaches actually started preparing for their opponent as soon as the leak happened. They turned the TV off. Announce the brackets first, do the in depth analysis later. Apparently this will occur according to the article. Thank God!

I feel like I am the only person in the world who feels this, but while I don't mind if the Selection Show and The Final Four and Title Game is on Turner if I get the chance to watch any game I want for free, a significant amount of people in this nation like my Dad, who is living on a strict retirement income, do not own cable or dish television. That number is increasing as people realize what a rip off it is and as more people are financially struggling. I can't believe what I pay for my Direct TV service. It's just not the cost of the channels, but for the DVR, the equipment, service and repair, etc. Let's put it this way: I could buy groceries (and more) and fuel for the week for the amount of money I spend on D-TV when I can just put an antenna on my roof and get TV for free. That's exactly what my pop does. You can watch the tourney on the internet for a period, but I guess even that costs money at some point once you hit your time limit. He feels he should be able to watch New Mexico State (who wins the WAC most years) as he lives in state, but he can't. They always end up on TNT.
    You are not the only one who feels this way.

We paid a fortune for XFinity, now pay a fortune for Direct, and it really shouldn't cost a fortune.

It is a fantastic product, 23,200 channels, DVR, On-Demand, blah blah, nirvana. It's just, with today's technology, all that stuff ain't all that expensive to beam into your home.

They charge what they do bc they can. In so many markets people have one choice for cable, Xfinity monopoly. Dish/Direct - 2 choices. That's an effective monopoly.

You're not alone. And, it is not just your father that decided it's not worth it. We're right there. In fact, without wanting GU basketball in 50 inches and high def, we'd already be there.

I can get all other info/entertainment straight from the net.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    You are not the only one who feels this way.

We paid a fortune for XFinity, now pay a fortune for Direct, and it really shouldn't cost a fortune.

It is a fantastic product, 23,200 channels, DVR, On-Demand, blah blah, nirvana. It's just, with today's technology, all that stuff ain't all that expensive to beam into your home.

They charge what they do bc they can. In so many markets people have one choice for cable, Xfinity monopoly. Dish/Direct - 2 choices. That's an effective monopoly.

You're not alone. And, it is not just your father that decided it's not worth it. We're right there. In fact, without wanting GU basketball in 50 inches and high def, we'd already be there.

I can get all other info/entertainment straight from the net.
    Actually, the cable companies have a good deal of money invested in infrastructure, so it aint so cheap to deliver. Cable cos are scrambling trying to figure out what is next as cord cutters are growing in numbers. It's content that really drives up the price. Your friendly ESPN group costs you a little over $9 per mo. Most cable cos also deliver your internet and they feel like the future will be streaming, and ala carte at that. They have a business model that is constantly in flux. Don't get me wrong, i have no sympathy for them. You will still be screaming at the cable co or your phone co when service goes down. Satellite vendors have a little different problem. They don't have so much in infrastructure, but they still suffer from cord cutters and they aren't very good at delivering high speed internet. The entertainment future is murky, if you can figure it out you'll be a rich person. I'm paying $105 per mo for DirecTV, I cut it back 2 years ago from $120 per mo.

I couldn't find any recent articles after a quick Google, but this might enlighten you some.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/cable...etworks-2017-3

Oh yeah, and those big contracts that athletes are getting? you're paying for those indirectly too.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

This is the click-bait version of the selection show to milk as much ad revenue as possible

"68 teams made the field this year but who got left out is a shocker!" *click here*

I guess Selection Sunday is a reality show now where you have to sit through 2 hours of BS to see who got a rose and who was voted off the island.

Meh. Go out and plant some Zinnias. Come back in after enjoying a spring day and print your bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Meh. Go out and plant some Zinnias. Come back in after enjoying a spring day and print your bracket.
    Wow! What a good idea! I love zinnias ... though March 11 is too early to be planting in Spokane.

Anyway, here's an article about the show, which I've now included on my basketball calendar: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...on-show-sunday

The 2018 NCAA March Madness Selection Show, featuring the exclusive live first-time announcement of the pairings for the 2018 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, will be televised on TBS – Sunday, March 11, at 6 p.m. ET. TBS will also televise this year’s NCAA Final Four National Semifinals on Saturday, March 31, along with the National Championship on Monday, April 2.

This year’s two-hour Selection Show, produced in partnership between Turner Sports and CBS Sports, will be presented live from Turner Studios in Atlanta. The show will feature analysis, discussion, interviews and reactions from teams as they find out if they made the “Dance,” along with their region, seeding and opponent. Greg Gumbel and Ernie Johnson will host the show, joined by analysts Clark Kellogg, Charles Barkley, Seth Davis and Kenny Smith.

The NCAA Selection Show will also be available on NCAA March Madness Live, the official live streaming product of March Madness available via digital devices.