Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: We're Just Way Better Than SMC...

Gee.... the trolls have their panties in a bunch....

Does this mean that we need to send SMC flowers since they didn’t get in? God it’s beautiful to watch SMC piss down their leg in March!

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Does this mean that we need to send SMC flowers since they didn’t get in? God it’s beautiful to watch SMC piss down their leg in March!

I am right with you Zagit! Gary Parrish has just destroyed them on TV and Twitter. It’s been beautiful

No risk, no reward. SMC should know that by now. How many times must this happen before Randy gets it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post

I am right with you Zagit! Gary Parrish has just destroyed them on TV and Twitter. It’s been beautiful

They’ve been hyping this season since last year. To watch it go down in utter flames is incredibly hilarious to watch. It looks like they had their Selection Show watch party at a local pizza joint. If that’s not the icing on the cake, I don’t know what is.

Don't know why all the ragging on St Mary's and Bennett. Sure, they could have improved their schedule and maybe gone on the road more. But I thought they were a very good team. And I thought their players were classy. Hell, they won a lot of games. I personally think they got screwed, not dancing. Just my opinion. I can't gloat on their snub. They have been a worthy test for the Zags for many years.

I have trouble rejoicing over the failure of SMC to get into the NCAAs. I like to beat them during the season, but I prefer to have at least two conference teams in the NCAAs. SMC had a good team this year and was better than a lot of the teams that did make the tournament. I am disappointed for them and hope that they do well in the NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    I have trouble rejoicing over the failure of SMC to get into the NCAAs. I like to beat them during the season, but I prefer to have at least two conference teams in the NCAAs. SMC had a good team this year and was better than a lot of the teams that did make the tournament. I am disappointed for them and hope that they do well in the NIT.
    I’m sorry you have trouble with that. I don’t.

They’ve been hyping this season since last year. To watch it go down in utter flames is incredibly hilarious to watch. It looks like they had their Selection Show watch party at a local pizza joint. If that’s not the icing on the cake, I don’t know what is.
    I’ve been looking at the God is a Gael board the last few days and saw the postings about the watch party. A video of Bennett talking to the media was just posted a few minutes ago...hilarious! Go play some one next season Bennett!
    Gary Parrish spilled the beans on you not wanting to play Rhode Island, Nevada and now Creighton? Ouch!

The gloating is because SMC’s failure to dance is a direct correlation to their OOC schedule this season (and arguably in past seasons when passed over). This directly affects GU and puts a greater pressure on them to continue to carry the water for the WCC. In a year when SMC had arguably its most talented team top to bottom they chose to play NOBODY in non-conf...Finally Bennett is getting called out for it and he should. Stop riding GU’s coattails.

Quote Originally Posted by thickman1 View Post
    The gloating is because SMC’s failure to dance is a direct correlation to their OOC schedule this season (and arguably in past seasons when passed over). This directly affects GU and puts a greater pressure on them to continue to carry the water for the WCC. In a year when SMC had arguably its most talented team top to bottom they chose to play NOBODY in non-conf...Finally Bennett is getting called out for it and he should. Stop riding GU’s coattails.

Boom! I like it

Quote Originally Posted by thickman1 View Post
    That's on RB, not the players or the fans. I take no joy in the players' disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post

I won't make fun of Saint Mary's but it's ultimately their own fault. This isn't the first time this has happened, and as has been noted on here the selection committee seems to get worse and worse every year in terms of favoring the power conferences over mid majors. While I agree that Saint Mary's is better than some teams that got in and I don't give the selection committee a pass for that, this is probably the third or fourth time that Saint Mary's has been shafted in the last 7 or 8 years or so. Bennett should know better. And he does nothing about it. The bank your entire NCAA resume on getting a regular season win over Gonzaga strategy is NOT viable anymore.

If Saint Mary's doesn't make changes to their non-conference scheduling after THIS, I am going to get more & more suspicious that the Gaels athletics program is possibly struggling financially, although I have heard no rumors regarding this.

I am not 100% convinced that this is all about Bennett. How else do you explain a 3 for 1 deal with Cal where three of the games are at Cal even though you are CLEARLY the superior program? That's a team that doesn't want to spend money on travel. It also would explain not doing the Rhode Island home and home series. Rhode Island is a long road trip.

I’m guessing a lot more going on when we hear about 3 for 1 Cal deal.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    If Saint Mary's doesn't make changes to their non-conference scheduling after THIS, I am going to get more & more suspicious that the Gaels athletics program is possibly struggling financially, although I have heard no rumors regarding this.

I am not 100% convinced that this is all about Bennett. How else do you explain a 3 for 1 deal with Cal where three of the games are at Cal even though you are CLEARLY the superior program? That's a team that doesn't want to spend money on travel. It also would explain not doing the Rhode Island home and home series. Rhode Island is a long road trip.
    Maybe but I don't buy it. Nevada was one of the teams Bennett wouldn't do a home and home with. I'm not gonna act like Gaels athletics is rolling in dough or anything, but if they can't afford a 3 hour bus ride to Reno, then I'm not sure how their athletic department is funding any sports programs.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

Wife and I are already on the suspicion train on that one. That has to be it. They can't just keep punching themselves in the junk every year without understanding why.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post

He goes even further on the CBS College BBall podcast that he and Norlander released tonight. He spends nearly 20 minutes going off on the lack of their schedule, contrasting not just with power conference schools, but with schools like Nevada this year that successfully scheduled tough games to protect them in case they lost in their conference tournament (which they did) and teams like Illinois State last year that no one would schedule. This year people tried to play St Mary's and the Gaels refused. Apparently St. Mary's even broke a contract they had to play a return game at Grand Canyon in Phoenix this year.

Starts at about the 12 minute mark and goes to almost the 29 minute mark.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cbs...etball-podcast

Rag on Bennett if you like.

But how about a little empathy for the "kids"? They're the ones that get hurt the most. And though they had some knuckleheads in the past, I felt this particular group was pretty classy.

I'm with Zaglaw on this one.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

But how about a little empathy for the "kids"? They're the ones that get hurt the most. And though they had some knuckleheads in the past, I felt this particular group was pretty classy.

+1

The kids this year at BYU are pretty likeable as well - I think the conference was well rid of Emery.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    He goes even further on the CBS College BBall podcast that he and Norlander released tonight. He spends nearly 20 minutes going off on the lack of their schedule, contrasting not just with power conference schools, but with schools like Nevada this year that successfully scheduled tough games to protect them in case they lost in their conference tournament (which they did) and teams like Illinois State last year that no one would schedule. This year people tried to play St Mary's and the Gaels refused. Apparently St. Mary's even broke a contract they had to play a return game at Grand Canyon in Phoenix this year.

Starts at about the 12 minute mark and goes to almost the 29 minute mark.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cbs...etball-podcast
    That was really a great listen and explanation of SMC exclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

Parrish said in the podcast he felt that Randy Bennett did Jock Landale a disservice. +1 indeed. We're talking about a team that can beat Nevada and URI.

Agreed that this sucks for the players but at the end of the day the players CHOSE to go there just like players CHOSE to go to GU. Past history has shown only 1 of the 2 programs with a willingness to play anyone, anywhere, anytime. I think the saying “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me” applies...but it’s more like fool me 8 times in SMC case. Unless Bennett made a promise to go schedule like GU and get these last 4-5 classes big non-conf games then this is also a matter of them choosing their fate.

SMC got hosed. Oklahoma and Syracuse should have been left out.

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    SMC got hosed. Oklahoma and Syracuse should have been left out.
    Given the current criteria for selecting teams i wouldn't say they got hosed. OTOH, OU, SYR, Texas, and ASU should not have gotten in with losing conference records. They really need to change that, it's an easy fix.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.