View Poll Results: GUnit of the Game - St. Mary's - 2. 10. 2018 ?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hachimura

85 66.93%
  • Williams III

13 10.24%
  • Norvell, Jr.

3 2.36%
  • Perkins

5 3.94%
  • Melson

0 0%
  • The Coaching Staff

20 15.75%
  • Other. . .

1 0.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GUnit of the Game - St. Mary's - 2. 10. 2018 ?

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Agree. J3 worked his tail off tonight containing Jock. Scoring is important but J3 did the heavy lifting.
    Time and time again displaced him off the block little things like that allowed for the quick doubles
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Loved the play of several Zags. Had to go with the coaching staff, though. As bad as the gameplan was the first time around, it was just as good tonight. A complete 180. The team/coaches showed how to completely shut Landale down, which I didn't think was possible. The coaches had a great gameplan and had the team prepared well.

Gave it to The coaching staff over Rui for one simple reason. Up here Rui lit up Saint Mary's but GU lost, this time he lit them up again, but they won handily. The idea was shut down Jock and make every one else beat you assuming SMC wouldn't shoot nearly as well again as they did the first time around and they were right. The defense was tenacious and it was a ton of fun to watch. And now Saint Mary's is the team that will have to deal with it and make adjustments. We'll see if Bennett is up to the task.

Great play, great coaching, great team effort tonight!

I knew Rui would win in a landslide, but I voted for Josh Perkins. I loved how he directed the offense. He was in total control of the game tonight, He outplayed Naar who is one of the best point-guards in the country. Josh ended up with 13 points, which for him is a perfect game because he is really focused more on getting the ball and the game sets to the best sets the offense can run. It was beautiful to watch.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I doubt I’ve seen a better game plan more perfectly executed. I went with the coaching staff and really appreciate that option being available to us. Thank you.

I went for Rui, but in retrospect wish I chosen the coaching staff. What a fun game to watch!

Rui!!!!!!
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    Rui gets the nod for a great game taking it to the hoop aggressively. J3 had a solid game and Snacks just filled up the stat sheet with 15 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, no turn overs. Really good D by all and only 4 turn overs for the game. And a shout out to Randy Bennett for being so chatty after the game. Really. I think SMC has an all around classy team this year.
    i didn’t get to watch the whole game. How was his handshake?

I picked Rui but a Williams would be next
    But I do say the coaches really deserve this game. The plan and execution was fun to watch

I don't think I can vote!
    1. Great game plan by the coaching staff - on both ends of the floor (and with something still left in their back pocket for next time). And Few with the very uncharacteristic Time Out early in the first half to get train back on the track.
    2. Great execution of the game plan by all 5 players on the floor throughout the game. The speed and precision at which we switched on D after the double of Landale was a thing of beauty
    3. SMC had no answer for Rui and he made them pay - AGAIN
    4. J3 was relentless on both ends of the floor and really set the tone
    5. JP controlled the game well and played his tail off, plus we only had 4 TOs FOR THE GAME!!
    6. We had very few lapses on O or D, which in a game with this intensity, against a quality opponent, and on the road was really impressive

I guess I am going to have to go "all Switzerland" and abstain from voting. Did they name a "player of the game" on radio?

As much as I wanted to check #21 I voted the coaching staff. The switching double team on Jock was artful. The Zags were ready to play - all game.

Against the grain again. I would go with Perkins. I thought he was masterful from the get go pushing the tempo , controlling the offense, and setting the tone. Also I loved his hustle diving for that loose ball over the half court line. Second would be the team as a whole. The coaching staff came up with the plan but the players executed that defense, incredible rotations.

Rui is our X-factor , esp against the Gaels.... He gets my vote, with coaching staff a close second (way to adapt and leave them in the dust Mark and Tommy!!!). That being said - great games from all!!!!!
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Rui’s scoring was great. JW3 not only had a double/double on offense, but bore the primary responsibility for the double team on Landale. In the process, he emerged as the leader we’ve been needing.

That said, the coaches not only had a plan, but had a recently lethargic team energized and ready to execute that plan. Thus, my vote for the coaches. Happy to admit my gloomy unease going into this game was proven wrong.

Go Zags! Now that you’ve found your pace, don’t let down. Run the table.