Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post game thread vs SMC

Default Post game thread vs SMC

Zags slap up smc 78-65. It wasn't as close as score says.

Omg! I'll eat crow! Beautiful job by the coaching staff and by the players. Jw3 with fourth straight double double. How about RUI? The Gaels have no answer for him. Both games Rui has dominated the Gaels. Rui had 23 in Spokane and 21 in moraga.

The Zags started the game punching the Gaels in the mouth. Every run Gaels could muster, the Zags beautifully responded. When the zags play there A game they can beat anyone. The Zags will be a top 10 team come Monday. Think about that! We lost so much from last yr and to be a top 10 team the following year? Wow!

Landale was rattled completely by the double team. He looked flustered and nervous whenever the double came. The zags defense beautifully switched all night long.

I have no complaints tonight. None. Go Zags!
    Love the zags for life

What a game!
    Best in a long time.
    Offense was flowing all night but defense was sublime.

Best game I’ve seen the Zags play this year. Had flashbacks of last season on the defensive end. Keep it up and keep getting better boys!
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

I didn't like the Reffing. It felt one sided. I'm glad zags won anyway.

Smc shot 25% from 3 and the zags at 33%.

The defense was beautiful by the zags.
    Love the zags for life

The Zags played pretty much straight-up defense in Spokane. SMC is going to have to go to school now for the tournament. There’s a new sheriff in town, at least for now.

WOW, Awesome win. Shut down Landale and Naar. Rui was awesome, team was awesome! Great game plan executed to near perfection

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    The zags defense beautifully switched all night long.

!
    The key to the game. Absolutely brilliant coaching move. Can’t say I’ve seen the Zags do a four player defense swioever before. Blown away how awesome that was.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Best game I’ve seen the Zags play this year. Had flashbacks of last season on the defensive end. Keep it up and keep getting better boys!
    Yep, the offense was clicking and everyone was locked in on the defensive game plan. Very impressive how Zags rotated once double team on Landale happened.

Take away for this squad is “Wow, look how good we can be on both ends of the court when we bring this kind of intensity and focus.” Norvell showed me a LOT tonight...D, rebounding, toughness. Way to go Zags.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Scary that we rely on SMC being our best win... usually it's them counting on us.

Drinking from a chalice of Gael tears.

Tastes kinda bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Scary that we rely on SMC being our best win... usually it's them counting on us.

Um, ever heard of Ohio state?

Great game for the Zags. I actually picked them to lose in Moraga. Great game! Still, I think St Marys is a great team and would like to see them dancing and win, as long as they don't play us.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    The Zags played pretty much straight-up defense in Spokane. SMC is going to have to go to school now for the tournament. There’s a new sheriff in town, at least for now.
    I prefer to have my crow broiled as it’s better for my heart!!!

Wow! What a game...

Fantastic win...

We still have four games left 2@home & 2on the road...USD & BYU...need to keep our focus!

By the way, the staff had a great game plan...the top three players were taken out of the game...

Super defense!

Just so proud of our team. That performance had as much heart as any I've seen in a long time.

Obviously the "D" was at another level, and wow it would be great to start taking that as an identity. Evolve it.

We just wanted it more, and showed it from the first minute to the last. Even the cynics here really ought to acknowledge the impressive commitment/effort/desire.

Coach is POG, best coaching job in some time.

Rui, can carry us when at his best.

Bigs really stepping up.

I had it dead wrong, happy to eat it. Shows too little faith on my part in the pride this team has in itself.

Excited for them. This is just whacked year with no "elite" teams that are unbeatable. Great year to pull it all together toward the end of the year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

doubling Landale off the post feeder, Few's master stroke in this one seemed to me, and doubling hard. all rotations were crisp and SMC was rattled; they expect to exploit the double team, I thought they would too, but no! the double teamer would have to then rotate all the way to the weak corner to complete the rotation on the double team or give up the open 3; don't think it ever happened, giving up that open 3 from the weak corner. will have to check the video but that's pretty incredible D

JIII battled Landale hard to deny and won that battle plenty, but this time the help came from the post feeder defender when Landale got his touches, and wow were they inefficient touches this time

JIII and Zags played the screen roll by digging over the top and recovering, with the roll defender (usually JIII) sagging the middle to slow the dribble, and JIII really a nuisance in there imo mucking up Landale on the roll; Landale slips more screens than the other SMC bigs I remember, did do the old school Bennett moving screen thing a number of times too however

and that's not anything about the O!

Few kicked Bennett's butt in this one

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    The key to the game. Absolutely brilliant coaching move. Can’t say I’ve seen the Zags do a four player defense swioever before. Blown away how awesome that was.
    Please explain the “swioever”

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Yeah baby!
    I think the D was the same except after Landale caught the ball; then the big change with the post feed defender doubling immediately and hard, sometimes getting to Landale just as the ball did
    wow that was fun to watch! Few

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    ,,nationwide the Ohio State win will be considered the Zags best win...but I think this one was more important ...
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

I don’t do the game predictions often, mostly superstition. My gut said 12-15+ for GU.

SMC reminds me of some GU teams in the past with solid players and great team play. Then those GU teams would run into an athletic BIG5 team and the athletes (and skill) would be too much. Got that vibe tonight.

The approach to Landale was top notch and you could see it in Randy’s face from the start. I noticed a lot of suggestions to let Landale get his, watch the other guys. Fact is, without Landale they don’t have much and even the suggestion that he wasn’t in play for smc really threw the whole team.

Zags can’t put their guard down going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Um, ever heard of Ohio state?
    Yep, with their win over Purdue this week they have a real shot of being big 10 champs. WAY better than a win against SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I didn't like the Reffing. It felt one sided. I'm glad zags won anyway.

The defense was beautiful by the zags.
    ...yes, some of those calls were just atrocious...me AND my TV screen were thankful we had such a big lead that they didn't effect the outcome ....I wish I could sit down with the refs and a video of this game and ask them what a defensive player has to do ....it was almost like they were clueless to the rules of basketball....
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

IMO, Rui had been out of sync the last 3 games or so, but not tonight. He was in the groove with all sorts of moves and shots. Norvell, Perkins, Melson, and Williams were near flawless too, helluva game. Oh yeah, I was happy to see the refs let them play too, it was pretty physical without getting stupid ugly. If Few hadn't taken his foot off the gas with 8 mins to go Zags would have won by 20 or more pretty easily.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Rui was really solid defensively as well. He held his position against Landale, no mismatch at all.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Well that was satisfying!

What a great game, so nice to see the guys execute and play with confidence!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!