Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lady Zags vs Gaels

Welcome Swagger... always enjoy the different views and thoughts.

I also agree on your catch on the impact of the death of Sr. Laura. She was with them for many years in a personal way. Her death had to hurt.

As for our young players... playing at the D1 level is a learning experience every game. Put 6000 in the stands and it can be exciting and nerving... how they handle it, well...

13-1 is a great record. At the start of league there was talk that on any given night, any team had a chance to win. Yesterday kinda proved that... I looked at a number of games I would have missed. Thursdays game ended the way I thought they would. So... sitting at 13-1 is great, but for GU, expected with the talent on the team.

We on the board care very much for the Lady Zags and our passion sometimes can get the best of us.... for me, it’s wanting the best for them. They are not only great student athletes but good people.

Go Zags!!

Was going to wait until I could watch the replay, but the replay is shaky & only about half of the time is watchable, most likely my internet feed. Based on limited replay plus game time my observations are:
    1. Pressing against teams who do not have decent guards gives a false hope against better teams, their guards got around us many times creating a numbers advantage, helping out on the driver and they pass to open teammate. Trying to press continually instead as a surprise allows teams to figure something out.
    2. Protect the basket instead of trying to force our will in full court may have been a better option.
    3. The replay has SXW has Beck as the player of the game, some pts, but 9 assists, who was guarding her and letting move and pass at will.
    4. SMG have more muscle and used it against us, refs could have helped out not allowing them to push they weight around, also Jill T should have been used against this type of play, they would not win may battles pushing against her. Match-up are crucial
    5. Poor shooting, why? casting 3s early in the shot clock does not force them to use energy on def. would like to see 3s only when shot clock is down or late in a game when behind. Shooting just inside the arc usually ups the % a bunch. Live and die by the three usually results in impressive wins and not so impressive losses, SWX comments were attack the rim, which I fully agree.
    Was interesting to hear SWX comments, many which I thought were spot on.

Thanks Pony.

ZagDad

FRom the outside viewpoint: What I said the previous weeks, about FR giving 100%, naturally applies to the upperclassmen....who shouldn't have to be REMINDED! I watched the first 24 minutes...... then decided there had to be a better game! Here's a thought: Perhaps there was a mental let down from the Pacific game .... a mysterious 'bug' ???? Pacific laid an EVEN BIGGER EGG IN PORTLAND! Go figure, huh?

Welcome to the board Zag Swagger.

I am the board resident whose tendencies lean towards complete pessimism, with a pinch of the sky is falling and the odd cup of frustration with our coaching staff. I have refrained of late from posting as my tendencies seem to bloom and they may be best kept to myself.

So here goes... we can be as proud as we want about beating up on everyone in the WCC but it is, IMO one of the weakest years we have seen. Sometimes we have had a dominant team and we make the others look weak but this year we are the best in the middle of a bad lot.

Again, IMO we are 1 and 1 against the only WCC team that has a chance to beat us and that is not good enough. bad habits nurtured by poor opponents need to be dismissed.

Welcome back LadyZaga.

I, for one, miss your way too often, correct view (IMO) of the goings and comings of the Lady Zags. While maybe not quite as pessimistic (although real close) as your position, we pretty much are in lock step in our opinions.

While I don't think the sky is falling (yet), I have been constantly railing against the on-going poor defense by specific people (starters) and the bad habits that have begun to be demonstrated by many members of the team. Despite the various "excuses" and "justifications" for our poor play on Saturday (some of which may very well be valid), the roots of our poor defense have been visible for quite some time.

As our friend Kemo noted above; " What I said the previous weeks, about FR giving 100%, naturally applies to the upperclassmen....who shouldn't have to be REMINDED"! Exactly. We were playing our conference rival, at home in front of a packed house with a chance to at least tie for the conference championship and our senior (upperclassmen) leadership, in lockstep, looked like they were playing in molasses. How much more incentive did you need to play for? You can provide all the "excuses" and "justifications" you want. I personally find the lack of effort by our top 6 players unacceptable and the coach leaving these players on the court even more unacceptable.

From LadyZaga, "we are 1 and 1 against the only WCC team that has a chance to beat us and that is not good enough. bad habits nurtured by poor opponents need to be dismissed". Simple concepts that we all learned in Middle School and Freshman year in High School:

- Stop the person with the ball. Make them make the extra pass or two. Do not give up the lay-up.Waving arms at the ball handler as they drive past is not a defense.
    - Keep yourself between the player and the basket. Don't give them an alley to the basket. How many times did we see Barta and Rice trying to front McKay and Raggio and when the ball went over their head it was a lay-up.
    - On a double team, don't give them space to split you. Make them throw the ball backwards or over the top.
    - On switches we don't need two and three players to provide help defense, one should be sufficient.

St. Mary's and BYU do the same thing. They play very physical in all aspects of the game. Inside they are grabbing and pushing constantly. However, rarely do you see them extend their arms. Hands and arms are kept inside just like offensive lineman in football. Yes there is hold on every play but it never gets called unless you are caught grabbing a jersey as a defensive lineman spins away. Similarly in basketball, physicality is frequently permitted as long as the arms and hands are kept inside. Barta tends to shove and extend her arms leading to fouls. Rice just gets upset and then there is nothing subtle about her fouls. Jill T. probably has the best defensive technique on the team.

On the backcourt, LS is worst but it also applies to ES, JL and to a lesser degree CS. BYU and St. Mary's guards, play tight coverage running parallel to our ball handler. LS particularly wants to use her off arm to create space. This is a foul and as soon as the arm gets extended it gets called every time. What the guards need to do when they are fronted this tightly is to create a half step and drive into the defender creating contact. You can't drop the shoulder, but if you are driving to an open space and are bumped it is a foul on them. The aggressive team typically gets the foul calls. Do you want to be the hunter or do you want to be the prey? Way to often we are playing passive and letting the other team dictate the game.

What is your goal for this team? If your goal is to win the WCC Championship everything is fine. We can continue to play as we have and we will win at least one more game and the WCC championship is ours and the team is successful.

However, CLF stated early in the year that this team's goal (not mine) was to win the WCC championship and go back to the NCAA tournament. Well, Houston, we may have a problem. Because of the early loses to inferior teams (which we had almost made up for) and now with this most recent loss, the only apparent road to the NCAA tournament is to win the WCC Tourney as any chance at an "At-Large" bid is almost certainly now gone. That means there is no room for a bad game, lack of effort, less than 30% shooting or any other game changing malady that we have experienced this year. You have 3 games in 5 days that you have to play and not make a mistake.

Obviously we cannot count on our offense to win all 3 games because it comes and goes at will. We have the ability to play smothering defense, when we want to put in the effort. The question is do the ladies want to play the January defense or the February defense? Remember my points I identified at the beginning of the season that the team had to hit if they wanted to be successful.

1. Shoot over 40% overall, over 30% from 3 and over 75% from the free throw line.
    2. Limit your turnovers to 12 or less per game.
    3. Win the rebounding battle.
    4. Keep the opponent scoring less than 59 points per game.
    5. Play with intensity for all 4 quarters

Hit these same targets in the WCC tourney and you will be going to the NCAA. Miss them and the team (and the fans) may have a rough time in Vegas. The team has missed these targets in the last three games and we are 2-1, which does not get you to your goal.

Offense wins games (and all the individual awards), defense wins championships. If you are happy with the WCC championship, the sun is bright and we will get another ribbon for the MAC. If you want the tournament championship and the trip to the NCAA tournament, the team needs to plug the holes in the defense and play with intensity for all four quarters (didn't we have this discussion all of last year). If the players on the court cannot put forth the required effort, have the cajones to put in the subs. I am sure they will give you 110%. There is nobody on the bench that does not want more playing time.

CLF, you got 4 games left and you have already have secured a tie for the WCC Championship. Time to get the team prepared for the WCC tournament and if we need to make changes (maybe some attitude changes), now is the time to do it. Use these next two (2) weeks to get the team's various heads straightened out and squared away. Change up the line-up, give the bench some minutes and reward the extra effort. Time to get the team ready for post-season ball and Saturday's game was not a very good start.

ZagDad

Here is a quote attributed to Tommy Lloyd about being man handled by Jock Landale (Big Man for St. Mary's in game 1) and what they did to prepare for game 2.

“It wasn’t like we invented a new defense,” said Lloyd. “When someone is better than you (in the first meeting), you have to come out and be more aggressive and try something with conviction, not hope. Our guys started feeling it was working and started believing in it.”

CLF would be wise to listen to the knowledge of her more experienced comrade in arms for any future meeting with St. Mary's.

ZagDad

Here is an article from the Spokesman-Review concerning the battle of the bigs versus St. Mary's.

Saint Mary’s stands tall against Gonzaga women’s bigs

UPDATED: Sat., Feb. 10, 2018, 11:35 p.m.

Gonzaga always seems eager to welcome a friendly battle of the bigs. It’s not usually a fair matchup inside, with Gonzaga’s top scorers Jill Barta and Zykera Rice taking turns throughout the season dominating in the paint. But when the Zags welcomed Saint Mary’s to the Kennel on Saturday, the bigs met their match against a pair of Gaels in the post who average well more than 50 percent from the field.

The Zags were most concerned about junior forward Megan McKay, who rarely leaves the paint and misses her shots less than 40 percent of the time.
    “The game plan was to stay in front of her and block her out,” Gonzaga coach Lisa Fortier said.
    If only it had been that simple. McKay and her sidekick, Sydney Raggio, beat up the Zags inside and rattled Gonzaga’s interior defense in a tough 72-56 loss, Gonzaga’s first slip in the West Coast Conference.

McKay and Raggio hushed Gonzaga’s defense with a combined 31 points and limited the Zags’ second-chance opportunities with 11 rebounds apiece.
    McKay made the first jab at Gonzaga’s interior defense with three consecutive layups in the first 4 minutes that took away Gonzaga’s short-lived lead. She added one shot at the rim less than 2 minutes later to close out the quarter with eight points. Gonzaga’s luck changed momentarily when McKay fell into foul trouble in the opening minutes of the second half. In nearly 3 minutes that McKay sat on the bench, the Zags dominated the paint. They went on a 6-0 run behind Rice’s pair of short-range shots and guard Emma Stach’s layup to narrow the Gaels’ lead to 13 points.

But the Zags still had to contain Raggio, who took the reins from McKay in the second half before McKay eventually fouled out in the final minutes of the fourth.
    Raggio capitalized on Gonzaga’s spotty pressure under the rim with easy drives and lay-ins. She weaved through Gonzaga’s bigs and scored seven of her game-high 17 points in the fourth quarter. McKay and Raggio helped the Gaels to 47 rebounds and limited Gonzaga to 21. Barta, who averaged 8.7 rebounds heading into Saturday, pulled down just four in 30 minutes on the floor. Rice also had only four rebounds.

“We need to make adjustments, and as good as we’ve been defensively as a team, we got away from that today and we let it affect our offense,” Fortier said. “We’re going to learn from it and then we have to move on.”

Gonzaga women clinch share of WCC title despite disheartening loss
    Barely half an hour after their toughest loss of the season, the Gonzaga women were already picking up the pieces. In this case it was a piece of the West Coast Conference title, courtesy of second-place BYU losing in double overtime at USF.

Win streak snapped
    Saturday’s loss snapped a 15-game win streak that began in Gonzaga’s victory over Saint Francis on Dec. 17. The streak was one game short of matching Fortier’s longest run in her four seasons as coach, dating back to her first season (2014-2015) when the Zags posted a 16-game winning streak through mostly conference play.

The loss also put a blemish on what was a 13-0 record in conference, two wins short of matching Fortier’s best start in conference, also in 2015.
    The 15 consecutive wins were the fifth-longest run in program history and the fifth-longest active run of Division I teams in the country.
    The Zags won nine road games in the streak, the longest streak under Fortier.
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...u-womens-bigs/

ZagDad