Thread: TheW TV

Default TheW TV

Can someone explain to me why the Pacific game is both blacked out on ESPN3 and not airing on The W TV in the San Diego area??

Small world. I live downtown, and I came here to ask the same thing.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

I am in the same boat in Oklahoma, probably because a sat channel has it listed but is showing a Houston awards show instead.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Why is a Zag game blacked out anytime, given the level of interest? Sleeping w the Neanderthal WCC is very costly.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Well, my broadcast picked up the game with 5 mins left in the half.
    Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Well, my broadcast picked up the game with 5 mins left in the half.
    At this point, just waiting to watch the espn3 replay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They need to change their name to WTFtv

Quote Originally Posted by Outraged View Post
    They need to change their name to WTFtv
    Post of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the Pacific game is both blacked out on ESPN3 and not airing on The W TV in the San Diego area??
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Why is a Zag game blacked out anytime, given the level of interest? Sleeping w the Neanderthal WCC is very costly.
    ROOT Sports Network has broadcast rights to the game. They decide which markets have access to streaming. If you’re in what they consider a “local market” they don’t allow access to streaming, for whatever reason. It’s not specific to WCC.

It really makes me angry to have the biggest money maker in the WCC be blacked out as we were in Kona last week. (thankfully SoundVoltex came through for us with how to watch) My brother in law in Reno is always blacked out from the Zag games. With no one else streaming any longer he is up a creek. It seems the WCC could press the issue with Root if they chose to. There are many, many fans across the country not in the "local market".

Quote Originally Posted by sullyzag66 View Post
    ROOT Sports Network has broadcast rights to the game. They decide which markets have access to streaming. If you’re in what they consider a “local market” they don’t allow access to streaming, for whatever reason. It’s not specific to WCC.
    Makes sense. San Diego and Stockton are only about 500 miles away.

Default TheW TV

“Local market” rules for all sports have always confounded me.

Aw hell, that's only a 7 hour drive in most places in Texas, with another 5-6 hours to go before you hit the border of another state. lol

Because Spectrum SportsNet had the secondary TV rights, and you're in their SoCal market. TheW.tv doesn't have rights to play the game in your area.

ESPN3 will only have ESPN Network games.

As for the why? Television networks pay money to institutions for rights to exclusively broadcast certain athletic events. They're usually banking on being able to sell advertisements to outweigh the programming.

Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    Because Spectrum SportsNet had the secondary TV rights, and you're in their SoCal market. TheW.tv doesn't have rights to play the game in your area.

ESPN3 will only have ESPN Network games.

As for the why? Television networks pay money to institutions for rights to exclusively broadcast certain athletic events. They're usually banking on being able to sell advertisements to outweigh the programming.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Bonus: I know who to curse and revile now, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    It really makes me angry to have the biggest money maker in the WCC be blacked out as we were in Kona last week. (thankfully SoundVoltex came through for us with how to watch) My brother in law in Reno is always blacked out from the Zag games. With no one else streaming any longer he is up a creek. It seems the WCC could press the issue with Root if they chose to. There are many, many fans across the country not in the "local market".
    Hawaii is typically grouped together with California regarding blackouts for whatever reason, at least that's the case with MLB (e.g. Dodgers and Giants games are blacked out)
    SOUND VOLTEX IV HEAVENLY HAVEN

伝説になんてならなくていい。It does not need to become a legend.
    常に新たな礎を作っていけばいい。It should always make new foundations.
    これからもずっと。Always.

I wrote to the acting commissioner and asked for them to negotiate better coverage with Root or to at least work on providing us a viable option that is more reliable than theWtv. I know it will not likely do any good but worth a try.

Direct TV (Ch 687) has been very good to me, I have over the past five seasons, only missed out on one Zag's game on TV and that was this years UW game...but caught the game on TheWtv.

This season, one of the Zag's game was blacked out on Ch687 but was able to watch the game on another channel in the upper 600's.

Dish also carries Root Sports so those are the only two choices of which I am aware that carry GU games, when they are not on ESPN, NBC, CBS and their affiliates.

Now, trying to watch the women's team is another issue altogether...find it near impossible to catch their games...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Direct TV (Ch 687) has been very good to me, I have over the past five seasons, only missed out on one Zag's game on TV and that was this years UW game...but caught the game on TheWtv.

This season, one of the Zag's game was blacked out on Ch687 but was able to watch the game on another channel in the upper 600's.

Dish also carries Root Sports so those are the only two choices of which I am aware that carry GU games, when they are not on ESPN, NBC, CBS and their affiliates.

Now, trying to watch the women's team is another issue altogether...find it near impossible to catch their games...
    I haven't had an issue with the games with Xfinity here in town (except that we pay too much) it's just the times we are out of town. Also my brother in law is a big time Zag fan in Reno and this year he has consistently been blacked out. We should have another option than theWtv. Major bummer about the girls vs St Mary's.

I went to DIRECTV just to get the Zags via ROOTNW ( Ch 687) when the Reno-Sparks cable provider ( Charter at the time, now "Spectrum" ) couldn't provide the access. It's not cheap but I've enjoyed being able to see nearly all of GU's home games that are on the ROOT/KHQ or ROOT/SWX schedule. There have been a few times this year when 687 was blacked out and I was re-routed to one of the CSN channels. . .I guess that relates to the regional broadcast rights. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    I haven't had an issue with the games with Xfinity here in town (except that we pay too much) it's just the times we are out of town. Also my brother in law is a big time Zag fan in Reno and this year he has consistently been blacked out. We should have another option than theWtv. Major bummer about the girls vs St Mary's.
    I hate when other options are not available...if you want to be sure to be able to watch GU no matter where you go, then DISH or DIRECTV is the way to go as both allow you to watch their channels on your tablet or phone. As Reno stated, it is more expensive than cable outlets but you will get to see all of GU's games. Also, when for some reason GU is blacked out on Ch-687, the game can be found on another channel and you will be re-directed to the channel on which it can be watched. Eventually, the Pac-12 Network will make it's way onto DIRECTV, so all GU games will be accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I hate when other options are not available...if you want to be sure to be able to watch GU no matter where you go, then DISH or DIRECTV is the way to go as both allow you to watch their channels on your tablet or phone. As Reno stated, it is more expensive than cable outlets but you will get to see all of GU's games. Also, when for some reason GU is blacked out on Ch-687, the game can be found on another channel and you will be re-directed to the channel on which it can be watched. Eventually, the Pac-12 Network will make it's way onto DIRECTV, so all GU games will be accessible.
    You have to have a DirecTv expanded package (used to be called the Sports Pkg) for you to be redirected. I no longer carry the expanded pkg as ATTSW (used to be a Root ch) now carries the games and is part of my regular pkg. A couple of times this year, ATTSW has had another game (Houston Rockets) or other regionally more interesting to local fans broadcast and has not carried the Zags. In those cases where ATTSW was not broadcasting the Zags, I still was blacked out by ESPN3 and The WhiffTV. It kinda pisses me off. As others have stated, the DirecTV service is not cheap, I'm paying $105 per mo now and it would be about $120 per mo for the expanded sports. I'm actively trying to cut my electronic entertainment bills, not expand them.
    Birddog