Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lady Zags vs Lady Cougars

Best game ever for Emma. Way to go Emma...

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Would like to note BYU stream was awesome they did a much better job than SWX ever does, and the broadcasters were unbiased and did a great job. They were impressed by our Freshman. But they did correctly note that the Wirth sisters play soft underneath the basket. Which showed their knowledge of our team also.

BYU was off their 3 point shooting tonight 3-18 although they had numerous wide open looks, fortunate for us they did't go in.

It was easy to see why Devashrayee was player of the year last year as she his a great player finished with 24 points, 8-9 free throws. She was 8-19 FG. She was giving us fits on defense and because of her Emma fouled out near the end of the game. However would still have voted for JB last year LOL.

Hey we busted BYU 2 year winning streak at home. Great to see us to take it to BYU at home. Great game plan for first 3 quarter CLF and ZAGS coaching staff.
    I'd like to second the approval of the BYU.TV network. I watch ALOT of basketball ..... I can say that the BYU announcers have been the best at giving 'kudo's to the players...even those not in a Cougar uniform. Also, they call the game as 'they see it'....whether the call goes for or against BYU in general! I was at another engagement in town today...so will watch the replay! Still feel, GU should really push the pace vs BYU.... hard for their bigs to keep up....... also like @Zagdad84's comments, on 'TRYING TO NOT LOSE"... YOU have the best team in the league, so let them play! They will need this confidence when they go to the NCAA's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO

As our friend Skip is so fond of saying, "any win away from home is a good win." So in that way it was a good win which stopped BYU's 23 home game winning streak against WCC competition. The last time BYU lost to a WCC team in the Marriott was in 2015 to the Lady Zags during their sweet sixteen season and CLF's first as coach. The goal today was to win and we accomplished our goal.

For 3-1/3 quarters or so, this was the most complete game the Lady Zags have played all year. BYU players looked defeated and were committing frustration fouls. Then CLF went into play safe mode and Casssie Devashrayee showed why she is the existing Player of the Year. She never gave up, played really tough "D", made LS, JL and CS look silly at times trying to dribble around her. She made shots, got rebounds, hustled faster around the court than anyone. Once the lead got cut down to 12 or so, and then entire BYU team and the crowd got into the game. They got a 23 point lead down to 8 points in just a couple of minutes and BYU had the ball. CLF finally took the reigns off and put Barta back in and the lead immediately went back up over 12 and the Cougars were finally done.

The entire BYU team (other than Devashrayee) was ready to hang up their sneakers. The ladies had a chance to make a major statement to the Lady Cougars (we own this league) and with the Play Safe strategy by CLF and lackadaisical play from the players on court, a 23 point lead that took over 3 quarters to establish was down to eight in just a couple of minutes. The game in the Kennel (and possibly the WCC tournament) against BYU just became much tougher because of 2+ minutes of extremely poor basketball (strategy and play).

Really the only three areas of concern today (except for the 4th quarter let down) were the 17 turnovers BYU created including 13 steals. The Zag guards were picked numerous times (LS=4, CS=4, ES=3 & JL=2). BYU only got 11 points off of the turnovers, but it cost us 17 possessions. The guards have to be more careful with the ball. BYU outscored GU in the paint 32-12 and it was not due to BYU's bigs. We let them have a bunch of lay-ups off of backdoor cuts, pick and rolls, etc. The GU freshman did not pick up on the switches very well today. Need to improve for game 2 in the kennel. Finally, Zee and CS were not very good offensively today. They were a combined 3-23 and CS was 0-5 from 3 pt range. Thankfully JB and ES had big offensive games to offset the lack of offensive production from ZR and CS.

Yes ZAB, Jill Barta was the best player on the court today (she also played much better defense today in addition to her great offensive day), but Casssie Devashrayee showed why she is the current Player of the Year (POY) and why she is a worthy candidate this year as well. We kept her essentially under control for 3+ quarters, but Cassie owned the 4th quarter. You have to give her props, she earned it. You have to give a solid, complete 4 quarters of effort to limit her and today, the lady zags let up in the 4th quarter and she took advantage. They better learn from this or it could be trouble in the Kennel. BYU only shot 16.7% from 3 today. You cannot count on that happening in Spokane or Las Vegas.

As far as Player of the Year goes, an interesting fact, is that between BYU and Gonzaga, they have won the last 11 players of the year (GU=6 & BYU=5) with BYU wining the last four POY. Other than Courtney Vandersloot winning 3 years in a row, nobody else has won even 2 POY in their career. In all likelihood, POY will likely come down to Jill Barta & Casssie Devashrayee, so the streak is likely to continue.

Good win ladies. Let's learn from the 4th quarter for the last six league games and the tournament.

ZagDad

I concur that the BYU broadcast and broadcast team were top notch today with little to no favoritism evident in their call. They were well prepared and knowledgeable on both teams.

Great job Cougars, it was a fantastic effort on the broadcast.

ZagDad

The Spokesman-Review's write-up on today's victory:

Jill Barta leads Gonzaga women past BYU, 84-70

PROVO, Utah – Jill Barta poured in 34 points and Gonzaga made it 14 straight wins with an 84-70 thumping of BYU on Saturday in Provo, Utah.

The victory snapped BYU’s 23-game home winning streak, which began after the Bulldogs defeated the Cougars in 2015.

Check out today’s highlights. Zags WIN a hard fought game on the road! pic.twitter.com/xMfIIOgNiV
    — Gonzaga WBB (@ZagWBB) February 4, 2018

“Our team played so tough tonight,” Gonzaga coach Lisa Fortier said. “We managed to maintain our composure through some BYU runs. We played great defense, on some really talented players. Jill had such a great game, and we received critical contributions from everyone.”

It didn’t take long for Gonzaga (19-4, 12-0) to assert command. The Bulldogs built a 15-5 lead with 4 minutes remaining in the first quarter and closed out the period with a 21-10 advantage while shooting 62 percent.

Although BYU (13-10, 8-4) scored the first five points of the second quarter, Gonzaga went on to lead 38-26 at halftime and 57-42 entering the fourth quarter.

Zykera Rice opened the fourth with a jumper to match GU’s largest lead of the game, then Emma Stach had a 3-pointer and a three-point play as the Bulldogs opened up their largest lead, 65-44. A 7-0 run helped BYU close to within 69-55 with 5 minutes remaining, but the Cougars posed no real threat.

“I want to give Gonzaga a lot of credit,” BYU coach Jeff Judkins said. “They played really well today, especially Barta. They are really hard to guard because they spread you out so well.”

Stach made WCC-leading scorer Cassie Devashrayee work hard for her 24 points on 8-of-19 shooting. Stach finished with a season-high 16 points, Chandler Smith added nine rebounds, seven assists and seven points, and Laura Stockton dished a season-high eight assists.

The Zags dominated the boards 45-29 and had 23 assists, two short of their season high. Gonzaga extended its lead in the WCC standings to four games over second-place BYU.

Gonzaga returns home to play Pacific on Thursday at 6 p.m.
    Updated: Feb. 3, 2018, 6:24 p.m.
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ast-byu-84-70/

ZagDad

It was a “W” on the road. BYU at home... 23 WCC wins in a row.

Congrats Lady Zags... you have now beat every team in the WCC this year.

As always there are things to be taken away from the game. A day shouldn’t go by that you can’t learn something new if you want to.
    Here are some of my take aways:

ZR learned that you need to do things differently when playIng against a 6’7” center... work at it and you will be fine.
    The team as a whole will see, as we did, that you need to be more careful with your passes against a good time.
    Good teams know how to trap... and cover the lanes.
    ES has said in her interviews that their 3s will start falling... she is starting to believe it. And it was great to see JB get her 3 shot back.
    I hope that CLF realizes that she let off the gas to early... good teams usually have players that never give up and can bring the rest of their team with them. You always have to be in control of YOUR game....

Last... as everyone has seen, the talent and potential of this team is never ending... 6 more tough league games. Every team that you have beaten will be looking for revenge.

More chances for learning experiences.

Great win and lets finish strong!

Thursday’s just around the corner...

Go Zags!!

Kemo right you are again "Let Them Play". Just when I give CLF a compliment earlier for not letting teams back in the game, she did. You got to have that killer instinct in the 4th quarter and hammer teams especially when you have them down. Last two games our 4th quarters we just sat on the ball. And yes we gave BYU confidence now that they can play against us. Next three games, these teams, all can give us a run for the money. Other teams really get motivated to play in front of 5,600 fans, and knock off the Big Dog on our home court. Pacific and Saint Mary's are going to be looking for some serious payback. They both are very capable teams.

Look forward to ZR and JL shaking off this game and coming up strong at home. Your right Pony Senior Leadership at its best today away to step it up in a big game Emma Stach.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-03-2018 at 08:53 PM.

If you go to the BYU WBB web site @ click on the picture (video link) not the text of the "Cougars Fall to Bulldogs 84-70" topic, you will get to see some BYU highlights. Yeah, who cares right, but they also include an interview with Coach Jeff Judkins and Cassie Devashrayee which plays in the background while the highlights are showing.

It is interesting to listen to the other team's perspective of today's game.

Link: https://byucougars.com/home/w-basketball

ZagDad

After looking at links to BYU I found it interesting that Broadhead scored 4 points more than her average, certainly has the ability to score 30+ points against us.
    Byu talks about their poor shooting but great play and wide open shots which they usually make. I counter with our poor shooting by CS & Rice, if they shoot even 50% we would have beaten them badly or bigly, believe me.
    Also see that Broadhead averages 38 min. per game, always wondered what JBs career stats would be if she played more that her 22 or so mpg. The press always dwells on pts, rebounds, assists (so does the scoreboard) but more important than stats is who wins on the scoreboard. Do they take this into account for conference MVP.
    Walking around the foyer I noticed that the best player from last years team is not on the mural wall, what does it take to get respect. a 40 pt game maybe.

Having trouble posting this response...hopefully it doesn't come up twice:

OK Zagdad84, here's the 'outsiders' view of the BYU game. Well, as a whole, a well played half. Barta was 99.9% perfect! [I must disclose I'm a huge Barta fan, also have liked C. Smith from her first game with GU. I'm becoming a fan of ES...and absolutely love seeing JT on the floor (she reminds me of Ellie Tinkle in many ways!] O.k. what was that 0.1% complaint on JB....I believe it was in the 2nd period...she had driven across the key with the ball and decided to use that 'left handed scoop shot'....trouble being she was being hounded by a 5'9" player (box and 1)....with the ball below JB's waste, it was an easy tie-up and lost possession. JB's is too good to fool around with such shots...elevate and shoot. Both JL and ZR had uncharacteristically bad games. JL seemed to be trying to outrun herself as well as her dribble....she didn't let the game come to her.... she made some shots, but didn't seem to be crisp or sharp with her passing. ZR....her shots appeared awkward and jerky??? She was just out of sorts. i think the tape should be burned for her... and CLF needs to reemphasize what she wants....Low Post dominance...get into position and let the wings or high post feed you! LS played well, had a few hiccups...but you need her decisive drives and dishes. Other than Barta, ES played the most COMPLETE GAME, on both sides of the ball. Probably was victimized by a couple of bad calls...but she held her own! Again, as a whole, 3rd quarter seemed to establish the fact, Zags were going to stomp the cougars! Some of the younger players made a mistake or two...also had some bright spots. I was looking for the 'backoff' ... but not sure what happened. I'd have to say, some of the subs didn't go 100% at times in that 4th period...you can't have a fast break unless people are filling the 'lanes'...Jenn Wirth (I think) took a long 2 pt shot early in the clock...when you should have been going for point blank range shots and FT's! The announcers were hyped with BYU's mini run (aided by some poor officiating (BYU star given a basket, when she was bumped beyond the key, yet managed to go 4 strides to shoot the ball........) and the hopeful crowd! CLF's time out and the team settled enough to finish it out! My general impression is that this team is now playing at a higher level...more is expected. An example: I believe this was in the last 3 minutes of the 2nd Qtr., Zags were swinging the ball from the right corner back to the top and a crisp pass to Smith on the wing at 45 deg angle to basket. Her defender was at least 10 feet off her, and her 3 pt attempt was a "good" shot .... as she let it go, I noticed ES was ALL ALONE IN THE LEFT CORNER...nearest person was under the basket...that one extra pass...that is what very good teams make! CS shot didn't make it, but ES shot in the corner probably was money in the bank! Just little things that they will eventually pick up on the more they play! A great team to watch, they are 'young athletes, so they won't be perfect...I think CLF's biggest job is 'cheering on the 2nd tier players to give 100% no matter the score...you never know when their efforts might be the difference in a game! As I've said on the Pacific board...we observers do not have the 'eyes at practice sessions'... so it is difficult to "out guess the coaching staff".... I've always been a firm believer, a TEAM IS AS GOOD AS IT PRACTICES! Hopefully, this wasn't too 'verbose' or critical; Some great talent and they are starting to come together!!! .........Looking forward to thursday's game, and hopefully Pacific makes it 'competitive!

KEMO THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK. Pacific is really looking improved last three games. Which include beating BYU by 12 points and Santa Clara by 18 points. They are a team to be reckoned with. Glad we found another Townsend fan I just see so much talent in her.

Stockton is a interesting story she is a polarizing player the name by itself often makes her some of the fans favorites one of of my best friends is a huge fan. Saw numerous shots of Dad Stockton in the stands and a really younger version sitting next to him? Good to see dad supporting his daughter along with the young man.
    Laura often frustrates me when she gets the ball stolen, she predictably fouls that player in anger. Did you notice when she dribbled the ball above her head and lost control or when a critical point in the 4th quarter she got called for a double dribble or elbowing someone which she often does also. Laura is so stubborn she often will take a 3 point shot when she knows that is not her forte. But as you mentioned Kemo she seems to have developed a special bond with Barta and really sets her up well for shots (assists). I love it when uses her muscular frame to take charges that pumps me up as much as it does her. Last game she gave a awesome assist to JT. LS strength is penetrating and dishing off or making a layup. Its also frustrating to me when she just sits on the 3 point line not her game. Her speed of the game has improved since she has come back from injuries. In fact it seemed like the rest of her teammates were lagging behind her coming up court in the last game. I think LS could be a even greater plate setter to her teammates.

But as others have pointed out I think Jessie Loera and Laura Stockton make a nice contrast to other teams. Hope CLF learned her lesson no lead is ever safe, apply the dagger keep the foot to the medal. Sorry Kemo but hoping for a 30 point win against Pacific. Think Rice and Loera might be extra motivated and Pacific is next up in line LOL. The key for this team is having various players stepping up to contribute so you never know who might have a big game against you.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-05-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks Kemo.

Sometimes we "homers" are too critical or looking at things through rose colored glasses. It is nice to get a true "fans" opinion on the team. I agree that when this team is rocking and roll'in it is a very good team and great fun to watch.

Other than the "let down" the other item of play that was unusual was the huge disparity of points in the paint which BYU won 32-12. This is highly unusual not only because we rarely if ever lose points in the paint, but also because we won the rebounding battle easily. 45-29 and it was not Sara Hamson (6'7" center) doing the damage) we simply did not pick up the switches, backdoor cuts and the pick and rolls very well, particularly in the first half.

As always, the more aggressive team/player tends to get the benefit of the calls. Cassie Devashrayee is like 2nd in the nation in free throw attempts and 4th in free throws made. Thus, not only is she a good player, but obviously she knows how to get the foul calls no matter who she is playing or who is officiating the game.

It is interesting on your comment about giving "100%" no matter the score" as this was the third time on Sunday that I had heard this exact comment. First in an interview with ESPN, Sabrina Ionescu (UO Duck's guard) mentioned that the thing they learned the most from losing to U-Conn in last year's NCAA tournament (at the elite eight) was that U-Conn goes 100% on every play. They never take a play off. If you are not going 100%, they make you pay every time. The second time was on the BYU highlight video of the Zag game, they had an interview with both Coach Judkins and Cassie Devashrayee. Devashrayee noted that some of the younger team members had not yet learned that you have to go 100% on every play and not take a play off. She also noted that she tends to lead by example and she hoped that with their comeback in the 4th quarter that the younger players learned that they can play with this team. Yep, a lost chance to increase the amount of doubt in the minds of some of our younger opponents.

Like last year, we see bits and pieces of how good this team can be and it seems almost every game we see more and longer periods of better play. Only six more games to fine tune the team before the tournament in Vegas.

Thanks again Kemo,

Go Zags,

ZagDad

A couple of thoughts...

No question that Cassie is a very good player. One thing I noticed was how well she uses her screens... something our players need to work on. She frees her self to get open shots. She is also good at drawing fouls... Emma ended up fouling out. Last... she is very good at the step back shot.. again something for our players need to work on.

On the team’s let down... shouldn’t have happened. The team has been pretty good at not allowing it to happen.
    By the way... there was only one point difference in the scoring in the 4 quarter.

Defense defense defense... when we lost our defense in the 4 quarter we lost control of the game. BYU 28 points.

Work on the shortfalls and stay positive... undefeated in the WCC!

Go Zags!!

One last comment before I retire this evening. Back in Nov. GU played Belmont in LV and lost. Currently they are 21-3 (I think) and ranked in the top 5 of Mid-Majors... a top their conference. I didn't watch the game, but got the impression they were decent and the Zags had some deficiencies... but most on the board felt Belmont was an NCAA bound team! I follow quite a few of the 'statistical' measures; and Jeff Sagarin has Belmont ranked # 56.....[Zag's are #38].... Same ratings has SMC #89; BYU #104; LMU 126 and Pacific #154. Jeff has a "recent trend".... and all of the above teams are currently playing like the below rankings:

#19 Gonzaga
    #57 Belmont
    #98 SMC
    #101 Pacific
    #125 BYU
    #184 LMU

The above should put your 'team's progress" in perspective.