Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kennel Club R.I.P

Can't wait until snowflake is old to say.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    His position was that the lack of enthusiasm and attentiveness to the game was contributed partly to the amount of women in attendance. I assume he is meaning that a basketball game and motivating a team at key spots in the game pertains less to women in general than it does to men--- and i will be the first to agree with this. If you are triggered by it, you sound a bit soft to me. Sometimes the truth hurts. I have been around the game my whole life, dont consider myself sexist, but a realist. Do i think a mens college basketball game would be more engaging to a male as opposed to a female, and more of a social event for a female than a male? I sure do. Sue me.
    I can’t say I am seeing that. I have taken my daughter to a couple Zag games and several other college basketball games. She is way more involved than I am. Same with baseball games. Does she do it in a different manner than me? Probably. Is she less enthusiastic? Definitely not.

The Kennel Club did just fine for the last 15 or so years. I don’t see how, now that it is lackluster this year, it becomes the fault of women. There just isn’t the same enthusiasm this year as there was with last years epic run. It is very anti-climactic this year.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kclubfounder View Post
    Interesting thread. VERY interesting, for me at least.

I'm wondering how much the administration may be responsible for the "taming" of the Kennel Club. Or the NEUTERING of the Kennel Club!

My suspicion is that the administration has a LOT to do with it. A group of fanatic fans who expressed themselves in creative and spontaneous ways has been turned into a glorified cheer section.

To me, one of the founding fathers of the KC, that sucks.

I could give numerous examples of how the KC is being neutered, but I'll only give 3. 1) Every sign is checked on the way in the door, and if the most delicate snowflake could potentially be offended, the sign is not allowed. 2) Every conceivable "chant" or "cheer" that is initiated by the KC MUST get prior approval from the powers that be. For example, when I was a student and the legendary "Herman Munster" chant was started, we would have been shut down. 3) Students used to turn their backs during the introduction of the opponents. Hello, this was such a common antic! But now, GU students are not allowed to do it because it will HURT FEELINGS.

Bottom line, if you are pissed about the Kennel Club losing some of its Je Ne Sais Quoi, you may want to fight back against political correctness.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    I hope you have a daughter, which chooses to attend GU, that you have to pay $50,000 a year in tuition and associated costs with attending the school. While she is there, I hope GU is still as much fun as it is now to root for in basketball. I hope you are able to call her after one of these games and she can tell you how much fun it was going to the game and rooting for the team. I do not hope she calls you and tells you "Sorry dad, I can't go to the games, only guys are allowed to go to the games because they cheer louder than the girls". This will be my last reply on the topic. Sometimes a debate requires more than just laying out the facts. Sometimes it requires some empathy. If that makes me soft, so be it. Apparently I'm a snowflake.
    At least you admit empathy gets in the way of reality for you. You can be empathetic and take anyone into the club who wants to but don’t complain if attentiveness is off. It’s noy a false statement to say a male is more likely to be in tuned and knowing what to cheer for as opposed to a female. That’s a fact. There are outliers of course. But if GU played duke this year, do you think a make or female will have a better chance at taunting Grayson Allen about “tripping up”? That’s the point. You want creativity, attentiveness and relativity in cheers— to say the OP was way off base is not true. My point would be to screen these people before joining. Maybe they do. But give them sort of basketball aptitude test. If you don’t know about hoops but are using it as just a social thing or a resume builder, the results will be what we are seeing—- kids not caring about the game, on their phones, not cheering at the right time, etc.

At least you admit empathy gets in the way of reality for you. You can be empathetic and take anyone into the club who wants to but don’t complain if attentiveness is off. It’s noy a false statement to say a male is more likely to be in tuned and knowing what to cheer for as opposed to a female. That’s a fact. There are outliers of course. But if GU played duke this year, do you think a make or female will have a better chance at taunting Grayson Allen about “tripping up”? That’s the point. You want creativity, attentiveness and relativity in cheers— to say the OP was way off base is not true. My point would be to screen these people before joining. Maybe they do. But give them sort of basketball aptitude test. If you don’t know about hoops but are using it as just a social thing or a resume builder, the results will be what we are seeing—- kids not caring about the game, on their phones, not cheering at the right time, etc.
    Then why was the Kennel Club more active/creative/effective in the last few years with the exact same composition?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post

It's as common as wrinkles and grey hair. Every generation tends to look at the up and coming generations with a critical eye, yet societies advance and technological advances continue. Funny how life works. It's not stagnant. My generation was witness to massive evolutions in communication methodologies and technology. It is no different now. Another common thread from one generation to the next is resistance to change. The institutions and traditions my generation values will take different forms, subtle as may be, with the next group through. Such is life. There is no turning back the clock.

And I am befuddled any time someone assigns specific behaviors to a particular gender, then claims not to be sexist. As if having a vagina makes it impossible to be a fan of sports. It smacks of sexism, like it or not.

Oh, one more thing: the current generation did not develop in a vacuum, we steered them in this direction. Whether it be how we raised them or the technologies we gave them, we set the stage. So next time someone feels like throwing millennials, for instance, under the bus, take a look in the mirror, first.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZag View Post

Oh, one more thing: the current generation did not develop in a vacuum, we steered them in this direction. Whether it be how we raised them or the technologies we gave them, we set the stage. So next time someone feels like throwing millennials, for instance, under the bus, take a look in the mirror, first.
    Ha Ha. That is something I always notice when us Gen X'rs complain about Millennials. They are OUR freakin' kids! We raised 'em this way. I keep thinking about that apple and tree saying.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

A Millennial Job Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0KjdDJr1c

I think your on to something. I would first question how women are supposed to get fired up about yelling at Grayson Allen and other basketball players when they spend all their time baking, doing their hair, and reading gossip magazines? That is just too much for the female brain to handle. Next thing you know they will want to be Doctors and Lawyers. But why stop at gender. We should break it to ethnicity as well. I am sure some male races (we know we can rule out women right away) are better suited to creativity, attentiveness, and relativity in cheers. Of course to narrow the pool any further we would have to eliminate any with affiliations to religion that may not be able to understand the game. As you say there will be outliers, but if we really refine our search we can limit the the number of men that are unable to cheer at a basketball game.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    I think your on to something. I would first question how women are supposed to get fired up about yelling at Grayson Allen and other basketball players when they spend all their time baking, doing their hair, and reading gossip magazines? That is just too much for the female brain to handle. Next thing you know they will want to be Doctors and Lawyers. But why stop at gender. We should break it to ethnicity as well. I am sure some male races (we know we can rule out women right away) are better suited to creativity, attentiveness, and relativity in cheers. Of course to narrow the pool any further we would have to eliminate any with affiliations to religion that may not be able to understand the game. As you say there will be outliers, but if we really refine our search we can limit the the number of men that are unable to cheer at a basketball game.
    Love the zags for life

This is interesting. The sexist comment remains, but my post asking why it wasn't removed was deleted. Mmmkay.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

I have always enjoyed watching the students when they show them.....but after watching the freak show kid pulling up his shirt and playing with his nipples every time the camera was on him during the game, I thought that either someone needs to set some standards or they should just move the kids behind the basket until they get their act together. They get prime seats and they need to respect that privilege, there are many schools that sell those seats for a higher price and stick the kids behind one of the baskets. I think the students have a responsibility that comes with those better seats, perhaps it is time to make that clear to them.

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    I have always enjoyed watching the students when they show them.....but after watching the freak show kid pulling up his shirt and playing with his nipples every time the camera was on him during the game, I thought that either someone needs to set some standards or they should just move the kids behind the basket until they get their act together. They get prime seats and they need to respect that privilege, there are many schools that sell those seats for a higher price and stick the kids behind one of the baskets. I think the students have a responsibility that comes with those better seats, perhaps it is time to make that clear to them.
    Or maybe the TV producer decides that that is not the shot that is going to be beamed out on the airwaves. That is the producers responsibility there. The producer made a conscious decision to show that specific shot.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The best thing about this thread besides the truth the kc club sucks this yr?

The sexist comments with political comments......

And this thread is 5 stars. Lmaoooooo.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post

And to think I was going to put myself in timeout today...

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post

1. You care too much about stats, let it go. It fuels whoever gives you that rating.

2. The TZF post is incomprehensible. I just don’t get it, especially considering the source. Even in the old Crosby Center Tex’s post were usually well thought out and well reasoned. I generally sat on the opposite side of the political fence but always read his posts with interest. I can’t remember a post so inflamitoty. Tex, you’re better than that but I’ll give you a mulligan due to your years of stellar posts.