Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 91

Thread: Kennel Club R.I.P

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    542

    Default Kennel Club R.I.P

    I will leave the reasons for debate or reasons for the decline to other; however, the kennel club is on life support. Gone are the days of bouncing and making noise when the opponent has the ball. No original chants originate from the students. Unless there is music playing, the vast majority are present to socialize and be on their phones. The top half of the student section sat for most of tonightís competitive game against a good USD team. The student area to the West didnít contain any students at all. Mark Few turned around and was waving his arms asking the adult crowd behind the bench to get the noise and energy up in the last 4 minutes because other than the first 2-3 rows of students, the kennel club was apathetic.

    Iíve been a season ticket holder for more than 20 years and the lack of excitement and engagement is very different and disappointing. The change is real and persistent.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,345

    Default

    I was wondering about this because on TV the rooting section does seem extremely quiet. I remember thinking during the St Mary's game that it was the quietest Kennel Club I've ever heard. Shame on you GU Students. Watch other schools was great programs as THEY CHEER with all they have. No wonder Gonzaga is a better team when they play on the road. Shame on you GU students. You no longer seem to be a part of what has made this team so special.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I was wondering about this because on TV the rooting section does seem extremely quiet. I remember thinking during the St Mary's game that it was the quietest Kennel Club I've ever heard. Shame on you GU Students. Watch other schools was great programs as THEY CHEER with all they have. No wonder Gonzaga is a better team when they play on the road. Shame on you GU students. You no longer seem to be a part of what has made this team so special.
    The KC is a microcosm of Zag fandom this year. Last year's run has made too many faithful bored and uninspired.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Yeah it was pretty depressing today. Hopefully they bring it Saturday!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    I will leave the reasons for debate or reasons for the decline to other; however, the kennel club is on life support. Gone are the days of bouncing and making noise when the opponent has the ball. No original chants originate from the students. Unless there is music playing, the vast majority are present to socialize and be on their phones. The top half of the student section sat for most of tonight’s competitive game against a good USD team. The student area to the West didn’t contain any students at all. Mark Few turned around and was waving his arms asking the adult crowd behind the bench to get the noise and energy up in the last 4 minutes because other than the first 2-3 rows of students, the kennel club was apathetic.

    I’ve been a season ticket holder for more than 20 years and the lack of excitement and engagement is very different and disappointing. The change is real and persistent.
    Said this all year in game threads. Its bad. I went to cpl games and half were standing but mute.
    Love the zags for life

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Said this all year in game threads. Its bad. I went to cpl games and half were standing but mute.
    I'll duck and cover with this comment: KC needs to limit females, most of whom are there as a social gathering, a place to be seen. I don't recall much more than a handful of women who were seen in the Snake Pit. Maybe GoZags can shed some light with his recollection.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'll duck and cover with this comment: KC needs to limit females, most of whom are there as a social gathering, a place to be seen. I don't recall much more than a handful of women who were seen in the Snake Pit. Maybe GoZags can shed some light with his recollection.
    My wife is loud as can be and so is my aunt and mom. I personally think ota because more people want to go to the "cool" event.

    And honestly a lot of the males were doing nothing as well. I've been to 4-5 games this yr. Its been as bad as possible.
    Love the zags for life

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    517

    Default

    This is really disappointing. I thought the games seemed dead this year on TV but figured that maybe they had repositioned the mics or something. I agree that the KC needs to get some new cheers, the classics just sound depressing coming from this group. No stomping, no jumping, it's just boring.

    That's not to say that the rest of the MAC crowd, which has done the impossible and somehow managed to become even more lifeless, is pulling their weight. The ambience is like attending a pac-12 bottom feeder game.

    Do they need more beer? Better leadership? What does it take?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Greenville, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Better tread lightly! If they catch wind of this abuse they’ll probably cower away in some safe space Saturday instead of showing up at all.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,313

    Default

    During last night's game i was wondering if it was just me or if the KC had disappeared. There was a TV shot early in the game of a 20 something guy (not KC) sitting courtside messing with his phone and seemingly totally disengaged. What a waste of a good seat! The KC should be energetic enough to get the old farts into it too.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy (20 mi N of GU)
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    Maybe the student section should have a no-phone policy during the game .....

    In turn they could have some GU stus (dozen or so) dedicated to social media photo/video taking and commenting on the games.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    435

    Default

    I get the impression they're more going through the motions than emotionally invested in the game. More like, "this is when we jump around" than "we're excited; let's jump around". Apathetic is a good description.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Q: How do you take GU fans "out of the game!"
    A: You start the game.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    536

    Default

    that would explain why we play better on the road

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,200

    Default

    There should be a before and after picture: before the TV cameras turn on, when they’re on TV, and after.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    The KC is a microcosm of Zag fandom this year. Last year's run has made too many faithful bored and uninspired.
    I agree with this , much more than the duck and cover post below .

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outraged View Post
    that would explain why we play better on the road
    exactly
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'll duck and cover with this comment: KC needs to limit females, most of whom are there as a social gathering, a place to be seen. I don't recall much more than a handful of women who were seen in the Snake Pit. Maybe GoZags can shed some light with his recollection.
    This might be the worst post in the history of this board. If I was a mod, I would ban you.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'll duck and cover with this comment: KC needs to limit females, most of whom are there as a social gathering, a place to be seen. I don't recall much more than a handful of women who were seen in the Snake Pit. Maybe GoZags can shed some light with his recollection.
    Absolutely shameful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Above May Valley, WA
    Posts
    430

    Default

    There seems to be apathy both on campus and in the community. I got an email that I could still buy tickets at Noon yesterday. The second time this year that I got a second email that tickets were still available.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    Absolutely shameful.
    I'm sure there are countless explanations for this problem (e.g., cell phones, apathy after reaching the BB pinnacle last year, etc, etc.). The solution rests with leadership; leadership from the kennel club hierarchy, and the cheerleaders. They need to step up!!

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    This might be the worst post in the history of this board. If I was a mod, I would ban you.
    Stop, bro. Relax yourself. Rebut his position, instead of getting triggered.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    My wife is loud as can be and so is my aunt and mom. I personally think ota because more people want to go to the "cool" event.

    And honestly a lot of the males were doing nothing as well. I've been to 4-5 games this yr. Its been as bad as possible.
    Thank you Zags11. The original post was ridiculous. On the booster side, its more likely to be the women who stand up and cheer and yell. Plus, watching the KC, I don't see a lot of difference in behavior between the men and women. Honestly, smart phones have changed human interaction in every aspect of our lives.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    This might be the worst post in the history of this board.
    There have been worse posts.

    The student body and the people that go to the games are representative of our current fans. If the fan base is changing, trying to artificially manage it will not produce that 'old feeling'. The only cure for the apathy might be a rough patch to let everyone understand how blessed we have been.

    I bet you would see fewer, but more enthusiastic, fans at an NIT game.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Stop, bro. Relax yourself. Rebut his position, instead of getting triggered.
    Limiting the amount of women allowed to attend an event isn't a position. It's a ridiculous statement which requires no debate. Do I really need to rebut with, hey I think that women and men attending Gonzaga should receive an equal chance at obtaining tickets to a basketball game? Really? This is a debate that you feel is required?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •