Thread: OT - OTL Report states Michigan St. abuse coverups potentially ensnaring Izzo?

Default OT - OTL Report states Michigan St. abuse coverups potentially ensnaring Izzo?

Outside the Lines also has obtained never-before-publicized reports of sexual or violent incidents involving members of Izzo's storied basketball program, including one report made against a former undergraduate student-assistant coach who was allowed to continue coaching after he had been criminally charged for punching a female MSU student in the face at a bar in 2010. A few months later, after the Spartans qualified for the 2010 Final Four, the same assistant coach was accused of sexually assaulting a different female student.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...ssar-case-espn

All the stories coming out about Michigan St. covering up the abuse claims, and not just from the gymnastics department, has to look like a lack of institutional control here, no?

On a different note, the NCAA is investigating UConn men's basketball program

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-investigation

Izzo kept a student-coach on the team after:
    1) he punched a woman in a bar
    2) sexually assaulted another

This was a FF year (2010).

I would say Izzo may be in trouble...

It's a shame because unlike some of these other coaches, I have (or had) always respected Tom Izzo.

Wrong place for this topic........but I cannot imagine Izzo would be in trouble without any evidence.

I don't get it, if Penn State got hammered for covering up pedophilia, why isn't MSU facing the same penalties for covering up serial rape?

AD Mark Hollis resigned today: https://twitter.com/AP_Top25/status/956925277204041733

Barstool reporting that Izzo wants to finish the season but he might get canned in the next few days. Maybe take this with a grain of salt coming from Barstool but it could happen: https://twitter.com/BarstoolMSU/stat...75257222512640

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Wrong place for this topic........but I cannot imagine Izzo would be in trouble without any evidence.
    I think the evidence is that it all happened and is known to have happened. With the current climate as it is does not leave a lot room for fudging. The good old days, if they can be considered that, seem to be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    I think the evidence is that it all happened and is known to have happened. With the current climate as it is does not leave a lot room for fudging. The good old days, if they can be considered that, seem to be gone.
    The good old days were bad old days. I’ve never understood how so many criminal acts could be forgiven for the sake of a winning record.
    The situation at Oregon should have cost Altman his job. I know it would today. If you accept a transfer who is being prosecuted for a sexual asssault crime, then he is accused of another one at your school. The coach should follow the player out the door.

can't image in this environment that questionable discipline will be tolerated going forward.....likely to clean the slate with new leadership...

it is what it is....

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    can't image in this environment that questionable discipline will be tolerated going forward.....likely to clean the slate with new leadership...

it is what it is....
    Soon to be followed by Mark Emmert, I hope:

https://deadspin.com/report-ncaa-pre...for-1822470340

I guess hindsight is 20/20, but I must admit that I am genuinely surprised (read naive) that stuff like this in the not so distant past was still getting swept under the rug.

How do these guys explain their lack of substantive action to their wives & daughters?

I know that some GU athletes have done some really stupid stuff over the years, but I sure hope that none of it has ever reached this level.
    Man, could I use a Taco right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Soon to be followed by Mark Emmert, I hope:

https://deadspin.com/report-ncaa-pre...for-1822470340
    Original article (free for non-The Athletic subscribers): https://theathletic.com/223555/2018/...ports-in-2010/

I hope people give Nicole Auerbach some clicks for writing the piece Timothy Burke is adding his commentary to rather than/in addition to Deadspin getting clicks for aggregating it.

Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    Original article (free for non-The Athletic subscribers): https://theathletic.com/223555/2018/...ports-in-2010/

I hope people give Nicole Auerbach some clicks for writing the piece Timothy Burke is adding his commentary to rather than/in addition to Deadspin getting clicks for aggregating it.
    My bad; should have linked to the original.

. “I hope that I’m a big part of the healing process for them and our campus community. That’s what I hope I can do here, since I’ve been here longer than anybody.”

Body language and language like “Hope” gives me the impression Izzo sees the trains headlights.

“Been here longer than anybody” defense in this case is probably a real negative on multiple levels.

ESPN's College Game Day began their show with coverage of the MSU mess. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    ESPN's College Game Day began their show with coverage of the MSU mess. . .
    And did they have anything to say r.e. Izzo?

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    And did they have anything to say r.e. Izzo?
    They showed video of Coach Izzo's Friday evening post-game remarks; paraphrasing:

I'm hoping I am part of the healing process for the victims
    I will fully cooperate with any investigation
    I'm not resigning; I 'm not going any where.
    He will have no additional comment going forward

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ult-complaints

Prior to airing Izzo's comments, Williams, Bilas, and Coach G offered fairly bland observations/opinions. Bilas did insist that looking into allegations involving players, coaches, etc. is the job of the athletic administration in concert with local & state law enforcement, and not the NCAA. Bilas' disdain for the NCAA is well documented so his stance was not unexpected.

That's all I recall, sitting. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

On Big 10 Basketball & Beyond last night they really took a big swipe at the university for forcing Tom Izzo to be the guy to answer the questions. MSU held no press conference went the trustees announced that the President wouldn't be leaving, and they held no press conference when she resigned. So Izzo was left there, as the freaking basketball coach, to answer questions that only a small handful of people at his college know the answers to. He became the university's spokesperson. Ridiculous. Izzo looked totally and completely exhausted after the Maryland game as he continued saying that he supports the healing process of the victims, etc. He wore a visible teal ribbon on his suit.

They also said that Izzo is the last guy on earth that will retire over this thing. Some people thought he might announce his retirement after a recent game. Ain't gonna happen. They described him by one word: "fighter." He has overcome a lot of obstacles to be where he is now.

Some TSN articles related to this topic:

"Emmert Calls Allegations Against Him in MSU Case 'a gross mischaracterization"

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...b16spe0lksmmzt

"There's one clear role for NCAA in wake of Larry Nassar, Michigan State tragedy"

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sp...v13xxx0k0wf21q

When criticized last week by an activist for failing to heed a warning about Michigan State earlier this decade in an article by The Athletic, NCAA president Mark Emmert responded with a letter to his board that mentioned several steps the organization had taken to address the problem, including publishing a handbook for members on dealing with sexual assault and other violence.

However positive these steps may be, they do not go far enough. The NCAA needs to develop a comprehensive resource available to member universities that comprises experts in the field of preventing sexual violence and employing crisis management and crisis communications to provide education on all these matters, whether it is on individual campuses or when its members gather at events such as the NCAA convention or even the Final Four or College Football Playoff. Those teams of experts also could be available to provide advice when significant issues do arise to help schools limit the scope and damage -- not to their brands, but to their students.

The NCAA's efforts on combating sexual violence on campus may be admirable, but they are incomplete if they do not extend to creating an understanding among administrators about how to prevent situations from turning into the consuming disasters that were the Sandusky and Nassar cases, with more victims and more lives damaged than if they'd been dealt with affirmatively and aggressively. Addressing these circumstances rapidly and forcefully, and with as much candor as is legally permitted, is far better than simply slamming all the doors and hiding under one's desk.

SN’s source called the convention “a huge missed opportunity” and acknowledged he was distressed to be working in a field that is failing to universally protect the student-athletes who are its charge. He blamed the absence of such a necessary emphasis on "arrogance" he perceives among university presidents who dominate governance of the NCAA. We can see that reflected in the failure of administrators in these high-profile cases, where defending the reputation and brand of the universities appeared to be of greater importance than the health and safety of the students who make them matter.

Jemele Hill is asking questions ...MSU grad & Izzo friendA

http://theundefeated.com/features/mi...espn:ncb:index

Thanks for that link, ceo.

Whatever he knows, Izzo needs to step up. Now.

This column from the Lansing State Journal claims that ESPN has gone over the top when it comes to its reporting of the MSU thing as it applies to Tom Izzo. That it has become a witch hunt that really lacks journalistic credibility:

https://amp.lansingstatejournal.com/amp/1084253001

On one hand, he owes his community answers and assurances that, over time, he hasn’t treated accusations of sexual assault or abuse toward women by his players with callous disregard. This is a core question facing the university right now — does it listen and respond to sexual assault victims? And it’s the argument ESPN makes for coupling these two storylines. If the state attorney general’s investigation shows that Izzo and his program were dismissive or ignored appropriate steps, he’s in trouble and should be. On the other hand, I don’t blame him for not giving ESPN easy material for a story that it has turned into a television drama. Not with how ESPN has behaved, including irresponsibly plastering the faces of Izzo and Dantonio next to a picture of convicted serial sexual abuser Larry Nassar — on the same television backdrop — not-so-subtly conflating those two stories behind the headline, “Crisis at Michigan State.” Even if you think the worst of Izzo and Dantonio, they sure as hell don’t deserve that.

I don’t think Izzo is enjoying this fight. But it’s one he’s willing to have. This is his legacy at stake. Coaches don’t usually survive an onslaught like this from big media and the mob that follows. Not in 2018. Certainly not on this subject. But I wouldn’t bet against Izzo. He has a few things in his favor: Loads of goodwill, a doting fan base that doesn’t want its hero to fall and an ESPN story that isn’t airtight. And because of the hearsay in ESPN’s reporting and effort to place Izzo, Dantonio and Nassar characters in the same story, ESPN stands somewhat alone. There are voices elsewhere calling for Izzo to answer the questions raised by the network. But you don’t see other large media outlets pouncing on this story with the same sort of prosecutorial zeal. ESPN has put Izzo and Dantonio the center of this story without any direct allegations of wrongdoing. Izzo and Dantonio aren’t being accused of the misdeed themselves. They’re being accused of perhaps mishandling or covering up the misdeed. That’s harder to prove, as evidenced by ESPN’s lack of evidence that Izzo and Dantonio were directly involved.

But ESPN is hard to respect right now. Beyond the secondhand hearsay and flimsy sourcing in places, there are lines in the initial report that reek of an agenda and sentences that mislead or needlessly build drama. Here is one example: “Even more, Dantonio was said to be involved in handling the discipline in at least one of the cases several years ago.” This works if “Even more” is followed by solid evidence, instead of “was said to be involved” by someone who, it turns out, doesn’t have direct knowledge of whether or not he was. If ESPN has that more firmly, it wasn’t in the report. Weaving the story between the Nassar case — one of the largest sex abuse scandals in this country’s history — and allegations against the football and basketball programs is grotesque, and I struggle to believe that it’s entirely well-intended.