Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMC v. BYU

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

I have to believe that Few is going to come up with some wrinkle to keep Landale from destroying them in the next game.
    What are the options? Zags have no one who can guard him straight up like Karno did. Double on the catch, they move the ball well enough to get an open 3, and he's normally surrounded by 4 shooters. Zone, same result, open 3.

Last game the Zags were successful in limiting the Gaels to 13 attempts from 3, but they made 8. Shows their patience w/ shot selection. Seems like it's pick your poison; last time the strategy was to let Landale get his and guard the perimeter.

So what are potential "wrinkles" that could be applied? I can't think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    What are the options? Zags have no one who can guard him straight up like Karno did. Double on the catch, they move the ball well enough to get an open 3, and he's normally surrounded by 4 shooters. Zone, same result, open 3.

Last game the Zags were successful in limiting the Gaels to 13 attempts from 3, but they made 8. Shows their patience w/ shot selection. Seems like it's pick your poison; last time the strategy was to let Landale get his and guard the perimeter.

Diamond and one hoping we can contain the three ball shots
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

Press and push tempo
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Zags need to speed it up. Throw bodies at Landale and let him get his one on one.

I would zone the heck out of them. It is that ball screen action that makes everything go. Landale rolls and even if they don’t get a bucket he slides into deep post position. Go big, lots of length and extend the zone to chase them off the three point line...less than ideal but I don’t see us actually stopping them anyway. I would rather get it into a helter skelter game than let them walk it up and get that ball screen action going. 2/2/1 full court dropping to an extended 2/3 and run, run run on offense. Bottom line is they are built to beat us...Randy schedules cupcakes all year and hopes to impress the committee by beating us...tough matchup for us with no Karno or Collins.

Samhan to Waldow to Landale.

Who is/was the best and hardest to play against ?

The first thing to do to Landale (and Naar for that matter), is make them play defense. SMC doesn't have the ponies to stop ZN, CK, or Rui from driving the lane and this will put pressure on Landale. I don't think they can really guard Josh or Silas either when they drive, but these two are not as good at finishing as the other 3. Also more action for Tillie as they have absolutely nobody to match up with him. We also need to shoot better than we did in Spokane, but how do you really "game plan" that strategy :-). We sure made their D look a lot better than it really is.

I agree with the posters above. We cannot let them dictate the pace for 40 minutes which we pretty much did in game 1. I had the feeling that Few was reluctant to press much because he knew JP and SM were going to log a lot of minutes.

SMC is very beatable. I have watched them 4 time so far this year and they have been behind late in the games all 4 times (including in Spokane. But they do not beat themselves. They just keep executing their offense at a very high efficiency. You know what is coming and they dare you to stop it. And that they are always a little more focused when they play us.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    The first thing to do to Landale (and Naar for that matter), is make them play defense. SMC doesn't have the ponies to stop ZN, CK, or Rui from driving the lane and this will put pressure on Landale. I don't think they can really guard Josh or Silas either when they drive, but these two are not as good at finishing as the other 3. Also more action for Tillie as they have absolutely nobody to match up with him. We also need to shoot better than we did in Spokane, but how do you really "game plan" that strategy :-). We sure made their D look a lot better than it really is.
    Jeez spike, the way you tell it I'm surprised the Gaels even showed up at The Kennel. Sounds like they have no one to play defense?
    Listen, I get your point but the emphatic superlatives and hyperbole just don't seem to hold water so much in this rivalry. It's your opinion and you are certainly entitled but I guess I have to disagree.
    ps I wish and many of us do, that the word ZONE was in RB's vocabulary.
    Cheers !

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Zags screwed the pooch with that loss at home to the Gaels. St. Mary's is in the driver's seat now, with their toughest game being away at San Diego and the home game vs. Zags while GU still still has BYU & San Diego twice each. Looks like those who picked them #1 pre-season are going to be correct after all.
    I believe the Gaels are 27-3 against WCC foes while Landale has been their starting center. All three losses came against Karnowski.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I believe the Gaels are 27-3 against WCC foes while Landale has been their starting center. All three losses came against Karnowski.
    wow what a stat

fun thread

Doubling SMC is a tough pill, that’s what they want seems to me, get you scrambling then move the ball to open shooters who can hit and operate. the Karno offense

If a zone, got to be one that forces the bounce outside right? they can shoot it and happy to move it to the open guy, but extending the zone opens the paint to penetration and for Landale maybe. You could double Landale out of the zone, but idk. Pressing could be a choice, if it could work even if just for a spell

To me, like the Delly switch with Rob, ultimately Zags have to man up and do it

There’s using multiple players to work hard to deny Landale the ball in the M2M, try to establish with JIII early that he can deny then save him for the second half without giving up the first by other guys stepping up by committee to take some hard turns on Landale denying touches, with good ball pressure on the perimeter to help deny easy entries while squeezing them off the 3 pt line.

Re. the screen/roll, the Zags sent the weak corner defender last year to help I think, typically JIII leaving the weak corner open. It is a scramble D with rotations, SMC love that

also have to sell fouls on those screens and get some of that poop called as a tactic!

maybe a gameplan that utilizes all Ds at Few's disposal with a goal of keeping SMC off balance?

I’d try extending the defense out on Naar and make him work all the way up the floor. They love to set their screens at the 3 point line. Make them do it further out. Ask JW3 or whomever to beat Landale to his spot on the floor and trap the pick and roll. I’m coming from the perspective of doing something to get SMC off of their usual spots in the floor and make them freelance or think a bit more about what they’re doing. If we do that, I think that allows the Zags’ athleticism to factor in more.