Thread: Rui over the past month

Default Rui over the past month

8 games
    119 points for 14.75 ppg
    48-66 for .727272 shooting

He’s hit double figures in every game. I’m starting to believe the hype, and he certainly is this team’s Giannis. Time to bench Norvell or maybe Williams/Melson for Rui, and see what he can do in a more prominent role.

Restricting Rui's 3p is stupid! Let him shoot three 3p's at least.
    Japanese fan

Quote Originally Posted by Skimhvn View Post
    Restricting Rui's 3p is stupid! Let him shoot three 3p's at least.
    Not sure where it says I think we should restrict his 3pt shot, but since he is only 4 of 18 on the year I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Let him develop that over time, and hopefully become a good shooter down the line. He starts shooting in the high 30s and he’s a lock for the NBA lottery. I think he’d benefit with a year of dominating for his junior season, but he’ll be gone after that. He’s probably moving up draft boards right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Not sure where it says I think we should restrict his 3pt shot, but since he is only 4 of 18 on the year I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Let him develop that over time, and hopefully become a good shooter down the line. He starts shooting in the high 30s and he’s a lock for the NBA lottery. I think he’d benefit with a year of dominating for his junior season, but he’ll be gone after that. He’s probably moving up draft boards right now.
    I know, but shooters wouldn't get a good touching with few shots...
    Japanese fan

Quote Originally Posted by Skimhvn View Post
    I know, but shooters wouldn't get a good touching with few shots...
    He’s extraordinary 15 feet and in right now. Why waste his efficiency? He needs time so that he can fully trust his shot. Just wait since I think it will come in time.

I thought the best college basketball player suited up for Saint Mary's, while at the same time the best future pro was pretty obvious. I think Rui stays at least another year and extends his range from 15 feet to 23 or so. He has the mechanics and touch, it is just a matter of getting the shots up in practice this year, and then taking them with more frequency next year.

he doesn't have the green light this year, so he's hesitant even when he does shoot them...it's like he's looking over his shoulder making sure he has approval to let it fly...not a good recipe for success

I love watching him develop, but now I'm terrified him and Tillie both leave. I really want him back for one more year to see how high of cieling he can reach in college.

I don't know where Tillie is going to bolt to, maybe a beach in the Mediterranean or something where he can just chill and be anonymous? Because that's what he seems to like to do during big basketball games. He's been terribly disappointing this year so far, IMO.

Rui is a joy to watch, has unlimited potential and he needs to have the leash taken off ...

Rui would stay at least one more year, but I'm afraid that he wouldn't develop more... His dribbling is monotone, so he should learn how to fake opponents for making success in higher level.
    Japanese fan

Just because someone is hot, doesn't mean they're the best person for the starting rotation. It's not always about having your best 5 on the court to start the game.

Rui had a career high in number of minutes played with 30. You could tell he was laboring and not physically ready to go 30 minutes day in and day out, especially against a team like SMC.

Being the first off the bench is a very important role. And coming off the bench allows Rui to remain under the radar in terms of other teams’ planning, in my opinion. I think much of his success against SMC was because SMC didn’t have a game plan for him. I believe that had he been in the starting five, it would have been a different story.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!