Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SMC is for Real. Great basketball game.

Default SMC is for Real. Great basketball game.

Before all the negativity and "opinions" come out, I want to say that that was one heck of a basketball game. SMC is for real and it will be a battle in Moraga and in the WCC tourney. Tonight's game was as good as you'll ever see in any league and any level. Great game and on to the next! 21 lead changes? That's a boat load of lead changes which means an outstanding game!! Unfortunately we had 3 too few points, but we'll regroup and press on!

Great game by Rui and it only is a glimpse of what we'll see going forward.

Go ZAGS!!!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Yep. Props to SMC, good game. I feel Few made a mistake not letting Larsen play more, I think he would have done a lot better job containing Landale in the 2nd half. Also, I understand Few wanted the 3 bigs in for D, but we needed Norvell's offense.

A good game. On this night the Zags got beat by the better team. Our boys were shooting too many threes, were careless at crunch time. No answer for Landale, etc. I can't figure out why Rui wasn't part of the offense in the second half. He had the hot hand. Disappointing loss to a better team on this night.

No question smc is good (Which once again make me wonder why Bennett won’t let his team play anyone) but this was a terrible loss. We played at their pace and let it become a possession by possession game. They out executed us and we blew a 9 point lead. Terrible loss.

Default 5 Turnovers and we lost..WOW

What was the difference considering it wasn’t Turnovers?

27% from 3?

Offensive execution

Our offense is evolving to rely on Rui and Norvell because our upper classmen never play like upper classmen in big games. Perkins 1-9 tonight goes good with 1-7 in vs SDSU. yikes

Default Fews unwillingness to double Landale cost us the game

Thread title says it all

terrible defense...you can't let a team shoot 57% and over 60% from three and expect to win...if you're going to play landale one-on-one you shouldn't be giving up any threes.

Couldn't keep SMC from scoring down the stretch. Landale killed them on the block and couldn't contain Hermanson from driving the lane or spotting up in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    Yep. Props to SMC, good game. I feel Few made a mistake not letting Larsen play more, I think he would have done a lot better job containing Landale in the 2nd half. Also, I understand Few wanted the 3 bigs in for D, but we needed Norvell's offense.
    I think the mistake was letting Kispert play. We couldn’t afford to let him “find his rhythm” by shooting through the misses. Everybody else was contributing (besides Perkins) on the offensive end. Love the kid but he should have sat tonight.

Our post play isn't very good on either end really imo. Our guards are not much better. I'm actually impressed with what Few has been able to do with this team so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    Or just take j3 off him because he was giving up position and leave Rui in there because his length was actually bothering Landale to pass out of the post a couple times.
    Yeah....unfortunately.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

SMC has a long history of killing teams that double in the post, they kick it out for open 3's.

Did Larsen play in the 2nd half? He might've had more success defending 1 on 1 against Landale than JWIII did.

You guys are all class. I hope the board won’t go negative and self-flaggelating in the next few days. You’re definitely going dancing and it will be tough for us to win at home much less in Vegas. I think you have the raw talent advantage. We just executed tonight led by our experienced seniors. Please beat BYU twice. Peace.

He's right Rui played him well. You at least have to change it up on occasion. You can't run the same thing at him over and over. The second half Kispert minutes were awful though. He had no business coming back in and single handedly reversed a run.

Good game but disappointing result. The SMC experience showed; we're still a growing team. I really thought that the home court would do it, but it wasn't enough. Playing in Moraga is going to be a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Kispert and a Perkins cosyus game.
    Sorry, it was a team effort IMO. SMC exploited Landale-J3 mismatch nearly every time.

Hard to play at your tempo when you’re pulling the ball out of the net most of the time.

Default Good effort but......

This one is most definitely on Few's shoulders. Now please know before I go on I have the utmost respect for Few and think he's an amazing coach. Sometimes though you just don't bring your A game and tonight he flat out got out coached.

I actually thought the guys played well and followed the gameplay well (at least to a fans eye). There were a few glaring mistakes that really caught my eye that I thought should and will be corrected next game .

The first is the lack of zone/press. We were far superior athletically especially at the guard spot. I thought token pressure would go a long ways against stopping their offense. For one it makes them operate with less time on the shot clock. I know they don't turn it over much but token pressure is often effective getting a team out of rhythm. We had ZERO I repeat ZERO answer for Landale, a zone look couldn't have hurt.

Secondly, both Jermey Jones and Larsen have got to play more. I actually thought the player that hurt us more was Hermanson. We had no answer for him defensively. Jones would have been a much better answer plus I actually really like what he brings to the table offensively against Saint Mary's. His straight line drives could have been effective. I know Larsen struggled a bit but he at least gives us an opportunity to guard jock without a front or double. I thought few gave up on him to quickly. If he's going to be adamant leaving J3 in the game then there has to be some sort of double or quick dig or he will eat us alive over and over.

I'm not mad at all I thought the guys played hard did as they were asked, I just think we need a better gameplay and I fully expect Few to bring it next matchup. Sorry for the rant!

Nope. Disagree. It was our offense that failed us. We were in control and failed to execute on offensive end when we were in control. Bad shots and missed shots. It wasn’t Gaels defense .. it was missed shots. We make a few of those and we keep the lead

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    terrible defense...you can't let a team shoot 57% and over 60% from three and expect to win...if you're going to play landale one-on-one you shouldn't be giving up any threes.
    Spot on.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Love Kispert and he is going to be a great Zag, but not quite ready for prime time and games like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    You guys are all class. I hope the board won’t go negative and self-flaggelating in the next few days. You’re definitely going dancing and it will be tough for us to win at home much less in Vegas. I think you have the raw talent advantage. We just executed tonight led by our experienced seniors. Please beat BYU twice. Peace.
    love the competition..made us pay for minor mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    The Gaels won, fair and square.

Can we call it a rivalry again?? Lol.