Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is everyone on the GU board?

Default Where is everyone on the GU board?

It seems we are missing a lot of the old vets nowadays. Its sad and I'm wondering where they went. Any info?
    Love the zags for life

Probably like me they are tired of the constant pissing contests and "I'm smarter than you" posts. The tone of this board has changed a lot over the years. OTOH, Dixie and TZF are still good for at least 5 posts a day not counting game threads. We need more Bowser!
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Probably like me they are tired of the constant pissing contests and "I'm smarter than you" posts. The tone of this board has changed a lot over the years. OTOH, Dixie and TZF are still good for at least 5 posts a day not counting game threads. We need more Bowser!
    Has it? I honestly feel it has devolved to where any dissenting opinions are bombarded by the "you don't like my favorite color the right way" crowd, which is a significant portion of this forum, maybe even the foundation of it. Although that may read as criticism, overall this board is pretty civil, generally positive, and often informative.

Vacated.
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 01-18-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Constant negativity and thread drift drive people away. Or if your ignore list is pages long, it might seem like there are no posts anymore

Hey! It's game day guys. Can we drop this topic for a single day? It's GU vs St Mary's. Enjoy the day.....if you can. I have been, and still am, proud to be a member of this community. I'm proud to be a Zag. Proud to be a member of this forum.

Go Zags!!! Beat St Mary's. No! Stomp the heck out of them. Pound them. Roll them. Knock them out. Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

It’s not that there is disagreement. It’s that it gets so personal so angry so fast. I think most people want less of that in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    It’s not that there is disagreement. It’s that it gets so personal so angry so fast. I think most people want less of that in their lives.
    I don't need any additional disagreements in my life...I have a wife and 15 YO son who keep that cup filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    It seems we are missing a lot of the old vets nowadays. Its sad and I'm wondering where they went. Any info?
    This version of the GUB has been in place 10 years now. Perhaps the format and content have become stale for some?

There are also other options for catching up with news of GU basketball, so folks vote with their feet (or their web browsers).

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Agree. It’s the lack of respect and rationality. Just because I disagree with a posts doesn’t mean I can’t respect the poster, and sometimes learn something. We all share a passion for the Zags. That doesn’t imbue us with perfect knowledge, and should NEVER justify attacks on other posters. Doing so is rude, and undermines this board,

Go Zag fans — with enthusiasm, passion, insight and respect.

I rarely post but follow the board consistently. A couple of comments. First I agree that in all probability the majority of the followers rarely if ever post. Why is that? I know that this comment will generate negative responses and perhaps points to my own paranoia. I feel that there is sort of a "club" of people who obviously know each other and in essence have a board within the board. To me this tends to inhibit comments from outside this group. When I have posted ( and I don't think I am completely uninformed having played and coached basketball) I have not gotten any sense that I have broken into the club, the back and forth between the frequent posters. Not sure how to draw more comments which I think would make the board less stale and repetitive. Finally I really don't feel there are too many "attacks" on people compared to the number of posts. I enjoy the board but enjoy it most when it involves actual discussion of approach, strategy-the basketball ins and outs themselves.

If that was meant as an insult, and it's very difficult to see how it isn't, just a very quick check of the last five days as a sample shows you posting more here than me, which is fine since I generally enjoy your posts.

Generally.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by gon2mt View Post
    I rarely post but follow the board consistently. A couple of comments. First I agree that in all probability the majority of the followers rarely if ever post. Why is that? I know that this comment will generate negative responses and perhaps points to my own paranoia. I feel that there is sort of a "club" of people who obviously know each other and in essence have a board within the board. To me this tends to inhibit comments from outside this group. When I have posted ( and I don't think I am completely uninformed having played and coached basketball) I have not gotten any sense that I have broken into the club, the back and forth between the frequent posters. Not sure how to draw more comments which I think would make the board less stale and repetitive. Finally I really don't feel there are too many "attacks" on people compared to the number of posts. I enjoy the board but enjoy it most when it involves actual discussion of approach, strategy-the basketball ins and outs themselves.
    My suggestion: don't be afraid to reach out to others via PM. There are quite a few people I have private conversations with, and we've never met in person.

Case in point: I met amaronizag for the first time in July, during my family's visit to Spokane. Through our conversations, we discovered a mutual affinity for wine in addition to our love of the Zags. It was a real treat to meet him, and Abe for the first time.

Last summer (or maybe 2016), I met LIZF for the first time, when he was traveling through Texas.

If anyone is ever traveling through North Texas, PM me. Hopefully we can grab a meal, or adult beverage together. I live about 10 minutes away from DFW airport.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    If that was meant as an insult, and it's very difficult to see how it isn't, just a very quick check of the last five days as a sample shows you posting more here than me, which is fine since I generally enjoy your posts.

Generally.
    You are too sensitive.
    Birddog

Arby’s. Roast beef sale.

Generally.
    I didn’t read that as an insult, fwiw. There are probably many others who don’t think you post too much.

Tuned out while we play the sad saps of the wcc. Tonight is worth watching though!

Quote Originally Posted by gon2mt View Post

I will piggyback on this and say I totally agree. The other thing that really turned me off was reading through one of the posts about how people became Gonzaga fans. It was pretty easy to tell that a lot of the negative posters and people who are the most out of touch, are non-alums and people very loosely connected with the program. Sort of the Duke problem. Not trying to play the better-than-though card for having attended GU (queue the attacks), but it's just my humble opinion that there's just a different (more positive/realistic/informed) connection if you've experienced Spokane/GU/the program in person, which leads to more reasonable posting here. I love that we have a large fan base and there are people from all over the country and world who love the Zags, but I think that causes some people to shy away from posting here.

The board has its 11th birthday coming up in a couple weeks!

And then the forums prior, it's been quite a few years. A lot of water has travelled under the bridge. I know several posters are no longer with us.

I do miss a number of certain posters, as they had close ties to the program and were knowledgeable.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Attitude Check: I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Both Bocco and Bogo are on the SMC thread, that's a very good sign.

gon2mt, that is an excellent post, and you, gonzagit and many others should unquestionably feel appreciated and warmly welcomed.

Other than the 800 lb gorilla in the room, I think the board functions quite well, there are 8-10 people with deep basketball knowledge that alone make the place a worthwhile read.

You can't collect 75-100 people anywhere and not have disagreement and friction at times, not with humans, anyway. If someone expects a place free of such instances, I think the expectation is wrong, not the board itself. When there is friction, what I see are people leaping to work through it, sometimes with tough love, I've benefited from it before.

The most important point, one made by the mods here continually, is that new people feel more than welcome and appreciated, whether alum or not, whether from Spokane, Canada, Poland and now Japan (!), the place always benefits when more views are added. I think it is safe to say that 90% of the people here will leap to welcome new posters, so please consider it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Generally.
    This. This exactly is what he's talking about.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Why stop there? We really need Mikeness to return here and liven up the conversation.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    Why stop there? We really need Mikeness to return here and liven up the conversation.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Or the classic parody "How to Make a Burrito", them were the days.
    Birddog

Bowser seems to only come out in times of critical need.

The thing that has become irritating is all the name calling and references to people being "stupid" as a person. For all the poster may know, they may be speaking with Bill Gates.