Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post game analysis Gonzaga vs USF

Default Post game analysis Gonzaga vs USF

Gonzaga 75
    USA 65

I was not impressed at all. 13 turnovers and 7 assists. That stat says it all to me. Jonathan going one on one all night long. Yeah he got his points. I thought he looked bad and especially on defense. I just don't like how he never passes when he's double teamed, Also on defense, His lack of switching on the screen and role left USF shooters open all night. USF makes 12-28 for 42%. This is so typical when Gonzaga does not play up to par.

The bench scores 13 points thanks to Mark Few. He played Kispert and Larsen very few minutes. Larsen looks really good, and we know what kispert can do. Few is a confidence breaker I think. This has been a great bench and to not play them more tonight is disgusting to me. And oh yeah he has to go with Jones.....who is absolutenly NO THREAT at all on offense. Sorry I didn't like the game at all. The defense imo was really pathetic.

Scoring: JW3 17, Perkins 16, Melson 14, Hachimura 19, Norvel 9, Tillie 6. I almost forgot, Tillie as is par for the course, looked like he didn't even care about playing tonight.

The good news is that GU almost never plays good in San Francisco.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 75
    USA 65

I was not impressed at all. 13 turnovers and 7 assists. That stat says it all to me. Jonathan going one on one all night long. Yeah he got his points. I thought he looked bad and especially on defense. I just don't like how he never passes when he's double teamed, Also on defense, His lack of switching on the screen and role left USF shooters open all night. USF makes 12-28 for 42%. This is so typical when Gonzaga does not play up to par.

The bench scores 13 points thanks to Mark Few. He played Kispert and Larsen very few minutes. Larsen looks really good, and we know what kispert can do. Few is a confidence breaker I think. This has been a great bench and to not play them more tonight is disgusting to me. And oh yeah he has to go with Jones.....who is absolutenly NO THREAT at all on offense. Sorry I didn't like the game at all. The defense imo was really pathetic.

Scoring: JW3 17, Perkins 16, Melson 14, Hachimura 19, Norvel 9, Tillie 6. I almost forgot, Tillie as is par for the course, looked like he didn't even care about playing tonight.

Go Zags!!!
    We must have watched a different game...j3 switched and played very well on guards including blocking shots, altering shots
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Thanks, Reborn. I look forward to your post-game analysis, and this one was spot on.

Zags went zone after the under 12 2nd half and got four straight stops, helped overcome the BS that was going down
    Morrison was right, the refs get a D-
    overcoming the jive was cool to see
    Larsen struggled to play the Zags switching perimeter defensive scheme; that USF team is well coached, and Smith and company got the iso on Larsen with Ferrari and torched it
    Smith also trapped the Zags when Josh was forced to the bench (with dubious foul calls), something I think the Zags can look forward to from here on out
    how many of the Zag turnovers were offensive fouls, anyone know that stat or where to find it please?
    thought it was a sweet win on the road in the horror house War Memorial with the road WCC Zag officials out in full force tonight

maybe Coach Few is saving Larsen and planning to unleash him vs St Marys!

he rebounds everything. his defense is awesome vs dribble drive. arms up, great length, moves laterally pretty well, if not great for 7'. imagine if his knee was 100% healthy or trusted.

can't explain not playing him, b/c we will NEED him vs Landale next Thurs. Right?

Can 6'8" J3 guard him? Or lanky Tillie? Not unless they front him.

Larsen could be sneaky good vs Jock
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

With ya Bornie. You hit all the high/low points. Lotta of gonna get mine out there, sheathed in ra-ra stuff. Two passes and up all night. Everybody, even Hach. Disappointing. Tillie musta joined French foreign legion; he’s disappeared.

I am still waiting for that dang Snickers Bar commercial with that guy in the hospital to air again. What the hell is up with that? That ad must have run 47 times during the GU/USF game tonight. You talk about overload. Do they really think we like candy bars that much? Gees.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    maybe Coach Few is saving Larsen and planning to unleash him vs St Marys!

he rebounds everything. his defense is awesome vs dribble drive. arms up, great length, moves laterally pretty well, if not great for 7'. imagine if his knee was 100% healthy or trusted.

can't explain not playing him, b/c we will NEED him vs Landale next Thurs. Right?

Can 6'8" J3 guard him? Or lanky Tillie? Not unless they front him.

Larsen could be sneaky good vs Jock
    that would seem the matchup to get him some minutes if it was to happen. I just wonder about the knee's health
    on Landale, hope to see no one else get off no matter who is guarding him and what he does Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 75
    USA 65

Go Zags!!!
    Correct. Especially regards the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    We must have watched a different game...j3 switched and played very well on guards including blocking shots, altering shots
    went for a walk, what's up here?

JIII getting the wrath when he appeared to be told to go 1v1, him and Rui and Tillie, all of them, that's what the Zags went to, right? those matchups, that's what they wanted all night
    Tillie got pulled at 16:50 first half and Rui in, and he went to work off the bounce 1v1 pronto. Zags had mad mismatches on those 1v1s

was that not the apparent offensive game plan for the Zags? if guys are going 1v1 because coach told them too, that's cool right?

Reborn, I disagree old friend

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I am still waiting for that dang Snickers Bar commercial with that guy in the hospital to air again. What the hell is up with that? That ad must have run 47 times during the GU/USF game tonight. You talk about overload. Do they really think we like candy bars that much? Gees.
    Honestly, this is the best post in this thread by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    Honestly, this is the best post in this thread by a long shot.
    right on man

well, care to add to the discussion, make it interesting basketball talk man? I know you can, all those years on the game thread

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    Zags went zone after the under 12 2nd half and got four straight stops, helped overcome the BS that was going down
    Morrison was right, the refs get a D-
    overcoming the jive was cool to see
    Larsen struggled to play the Zags switching perimeter defensive scheme; that USF team is well coached, and Smith and company got the iso on Larsen with Ferrari and torched it
    Smith also trapped the Zags when Josh was forced to the bench (with dubious foul calls), something I think the Zags can look forward to from here on out
    how many of the Zag turnovers were offensive fouls, anyone know that stat or where to find it please?
    thought it was a sweet win on the road in the horror house War Memorial with the road WCC Zag officials out in full force tonight
    Agreed about the refs, this was the first game this year that I've been annoyed over the officiating. They were embarrassing.

On the bright side the Zags have now won 6 straight in WMG.

It was a whatever game. The main thing is the zags won. I'm pretty pumped about the game Thursday.
    Love the zags for life

Any word on the Snickers guy this morning? Has he been released?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Who?

(just kidding)

Snickers bars are my gasoline store #1 purchase. But, have being beaten over the head with one all game long .... think I'll have to go to Mars or Butter Finger next fillup ..... Then again, maybe Butter Finger could be bad MoJo. Mars might be better for deep 3 or 1/2 court shot MoJo.

I'm glad we came out of WMG with a win and didn't let the Dons get too close. The Dons sure shot themselves in the foot with free throws. The refs early on looked like they were going to allow a bit of contact - that didn't last! Glad the Zags and Few didn't let the zebras get them overly rattled. Of the usual suspects I'm liking how Melson is picking up his game and hoping Tillie follows suit. Although I spotted the Zags 9 more points in my game prediction I liked how GU shot (52.8% per ESPN's box score). I'm glad our first game with SMC is in the Kennel this season.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Where’s Don Draper when you need him? The guy in charge of commercials must have spent his career in Hollywood working on the Fast and Furious franchise.

Spokesman coverage of the USF game, includes links to audio clips with Few, Williams, Perkins, and Melson

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...p-showdown/#/0

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

Vince noticed the Snickers commercials, too.

Yes. Seen his attorney. Getting a divorce. His wife power slammed that phone right down his throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Snickers bars are my gasoline store #1 purchase. But, have being beaten over the head with one all game long .... think I'll have to go to Mars or Butter Finger next fillup ..... Then again, maybe Butter Finger could be bad MoJo. Mars might be better for deep 3 or 1/2 court shot MoJo.
    Try Reese's Nutrageous, similar to and better than Snickers IMO. Also harder to find, though.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Not going to win every game by 25. Not our best effort though. I noticed compared to a lot of teams our passing especially around the perimeter is slow/lazy. No urgency ever. Kispert does ok, but he’s a fundamentals guy.

Traveling seems to be a thing too. JW and Tillie shuffle, shuffle constantly. Not sure what that is about.

Hopefully a more precise game on Thurs.

Smile Some Take-Aways/Hopes

(1) Not Zags best game, but they kept the lead, won by double digits.
    (2) If Dons hit free throws, Zags are in trouble.
    (3) Dons playing this year w/o injured Minlend (a WCC "all freshman" last year), and their young team has had some other injury issues. Yet Dons gave GU a game, which is what we want, right? Not conference blowout after conference blowout. Most importantly, Dons's coach looks like he's building a contender (when they're healthy). Kind of like what's happening at Pacific (which's playing, due to NCAA penalties on former coach, with only eight scholarship players, yet beating the likes of BYU, again).

(4) Ultimately Kiddwell hopes he saw last night evidence of WCC teams starting to elevate and push the Big Three. (There's a lot of youth in this league, remember.)

Finally, here's hoping USD, USF, and Pacific improve in the next two years, and start making life on the road regularly miserable for GU, SMC, and BYU. Hoping for the day the WCC regularly sends three teams to the NCAA Dance. (It's happened once.) FOUR TEAMS to the Dance would be awesome, and is this fan's stubborn hope. OK, one last thing: Hoping BYU starts playing up to their potential. With those facilities and their budget, they should be pushing for an NCAA Dance spot every single year.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

OK, one last thing: Hoping BYU starts playing up to their potential. With those facilities and their budget, they should be pushing for an NCAA Dance spot every single year.
    I'll join you in pulling for USF or USD to step up their efforts but I'll take a pass on wishing positive vibes for the Cougars. You might as well ask a life-long Seahawks fan to root for the Raiders .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek