Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post game analysis Gonzaga vs USF

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    (1) Not Zags best game, but they kept the lead, won by double digits.
    (2) If Dons hit free throws, Zags are in trouble.
    (3) Dons playing this year w/o injured Minlend (a WCC "all freshman" last year), and their young team has had some other injury issues. Yet Dons gave GU a game, which is what we want, right? Not conference blowout after conference blowout. Most importantly, Dons's coach looks like he's building a contender (when they're healthy). Kind of like what's happening at Pacific (which's playing, due to NCAA penalties on former coach, with only eight scholarship players, yet beating the likes of BYU, again).

(4) Ultimately Kiddwell hopes he saw last night evidence of WCC teams starting to elevate and push the Big Three. (There's a lot of youth in this league, remember.)

Finally, here's hoping USD, USF, and Pacific improve in the next two years, and start making life on the road regularly miserable for GU, SMC, and BYU. Hoping for the day the WCC regularly sends three teams to the NCAA Dance. (It's happened once.) FOUR TEAMS to the Dance would be awesome, and is this fan's stubborn hope. OK, one last thing: Hoping BYU starts playing up to their potential. With those facilities and their budget, they should be pushing for an NCAA Dance spot every single year.

:]
    USF impressed me as well last night, especially considering they were missing some key pieces. The announcers mentioned major renovations to the tune of 1 million + coming up for the Dons’ facilities this offseason too. Good sign that program will definitely trend upwards. Then again, we are talking San Francisco prices so 1 million may just update the bathrooms. :-)

Not 100% sure of that number...anyone else recall the announcers mentioning that?
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

I thought I heard the number as closer to 30 million.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    Million Dollar Listing San Francisco?

When I got on this thread I expected to see a lot of complaints about the lack of passing and assists. Lots of wings attempting the three right away even when they did not have a good shot. However, like someone said, maybe the coach was urging Rui, JWIII, and Josh to go one on one tonight. Just didn't look like the usual zag offense I am used to. I wanted team ball, not 'me' ball, but OK if that was Few's instructions. Even so, for my taste, I don't like the way Norvell, JWIII, and Rui do not pass out of double and triple teaming enough. Kind of reminds of Angel Nunez who decided from the outside he is going to the hoop, no matter what develops in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    When I got on this thread I expected to see a lot of complaints about the lack of passing and assists. Lots of wings attempting the three right away even when they did not have a good shot. However, like someone said, maybe the coach was urging Rui, JWIII, and Josh to go one on one tonight. Just didn't look like the usual zag offense I am used to. I wanted team ball, not 'me' ball, but OK if that was Few's instructions. Even so, for my taste, I don't like the way Norvell, JWIII, and Rui do not pass out of double and triple teaming enough. Kind of reminds of Angel Nunez who decided from the outside he is going to the hoop, no matter what develops in front of him.
    Zach is probably second on the team in assists. He’s deferred on his shot taking the past few games. I thought J3 was a bit too stubborn last night when he got the ball. Don’t know about Rui, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Million Dollar Listing San Francisco?
    I thought I heard they were putting $30MM into the Sabrato Center too. . .

See this link for some additional info: http://usfdons.com/news/2016/6/29/fa...on-update.aspx

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

On a side note...have always loved the name of their (USF) gym
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Will the revamp at USF be completed in time for the 2018/19 season, or will the Dons need to play somewhere else for a period?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Will the revamp at USF be completed in time for the 2018/19 season, or will the Dons need to play somewhere else for a period?
    Haven't been able to find anything on that, CDC

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 75
    USA 65

I was not impressed at all. 13 turnovers and 7 assists. That stat says it all to me. Jonathan going one on one all night long. Yeah he got his points. I thought he looked bad and especially on defense. I just don't like how he never passes when he's double teamed, Also on defense, His lack of switching on the screen and role left USF shooters open all night. USF makes 12-28 for 42%. This is so typical when Gonzaga does not play up to par.

The bench scores 13 points thanks to Mark Few. He played Kispert and Larsen very few minutes. Larsen looks really good, and we know what kispert can do. Few is a confidence breaker I think. This has been a great bench and to not play them more tonight is disgusting to me. And oh yeah he has to go with Jones.....who is absolutenly NO THREAT at all on offense. Sorry I didn't like the game at all. The defense imo was really pathetic.

Scoring: JW3 17, Perkins 16, Melson 14, Hachimura 19, Norvel 9, Tillie 6. I almost forgot, Tillie as is par for the course, looked like he didn't even care about playing tonight.

The good news is that GU almost never plays good in San Francisco.

Go Zags!!!
    I agree, not Few's best game. Really a head scratcher.

I watched the game over this morning. It's always a good thing for me to do because the Zags always look better when I do that. I'd have to say I need to give San Francisco more credit than I did. They played hard, and shot quite well from behind the 3 pt arc which is typical of how they play. It's also good for me to remember how tough all the WCC teams will be when they play at home. I seemed to have forgotten that. It was great to see a packed gym too. I also needed to remember that USF always plays the Zags tough at home, and't always been a scary place for the Zags to play (at least scary for me).

I thought Perkins played great. He was the one one guy who was shooting great. I felt he should probably have shot more because he was the one who was hot. Hatchimura was also just so good, but this time on defense. He had 4 swats, mostly against guards who thought they could drive on him. He also had 8 rebounds (second highest on team to JW3's nine). Rui played the 3 quite a bit showing he can guard wings. Overall. I thought the Zags played pretty good D. They held USF to 38% shooting. Tillie had 4 turnovers which is not good, imo. Perkins only had one. A great stat.

I think the Zags played better than I first thought. I guess I'd like to see Larsen and Kispert get more minutes, but in closer games I guess it won't happen. Kispert did get 16 minutes, which isn't bad for a bench player I guess, but Larsen only got 4, and again played well. Williams shot 7-12, which is way better than I thought, and only had 2 turnovers (which is also better than I thought).

The other thing I noticed is that USF was a lot bigger than I thought. They had a couple of 6' 11" guys who sere built pretty well. They did our guys a tough time inside.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    On a side note...have always loved the name of their (USF) gym
    Great gym to play in...built in 1958 (I think), "War Memorial" ...honoring our veterans...I played Frosh ball there in 1961 (for UOP). The "HOUSE RUSSELL AND JONES BUILT"

I watched the game over this morning. It's always a good thing for me to do because the Zags always look better when I do that. I'd have to say I need to give San Francisco more credit than I did. They played hard, and shot quite well from behind the 3 pt arc which is typical of how they play. It's also good for me to remember how tough all the WCC teams will be when they play at home. I seemed to have forgotten that. It was great to see a packed gym too. I also needed to remember that USF always plays the Zags tough at home, and't always been a scary place for the Zags to play (at least scary for me).

I thought Perkins played great. He was the one one guy who was shooting great. I felt he should probably have shot more because he was the one who was hot. Hatchimura was also just so good, but this time on defense. He had 4 swats, mostly against guards who thought they could drive on him. He also had 8 rebounds (second highest on team to JW3's nine). Rui played the 3 quite a bit showing he can guard wings. Overall. I thought the Zags played pretty good D. They held USF to 38% shooting. Tillie had 4 turnovers which is not good, imo. Perkins only had one. A great stat.

I think the Zags played better than I first thought. I guess I'd like to see Larsen and Kispert get more minutes, but in closer games I guess it won't happen. Kispert did get 16 minutes, which isn't bad for a bench player I guess, but Larsen only got 4, and again played well. Williams shot 7-12, which is way better than I thought, and only had 2 turnovers (which is also better than I thought).

The other thing I noticed is that USF was a lot bigger than I thought. They had a couple of 6' 11" guys who sere built pretty well. They did our guys a tough time inside.
    Reborn, how did the poor officiating (my opinion) play into the turnover stats? It seems like we had quite a few turnovers based on poor calls from the refs (offensive fouls).

biggest takeaway for me was few's willingness to use rui at the 3 spot for extended periods...ha, maybe put rui on naar = no layups

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Reborn, how did the poor officiating (my opinion) play into the turnover stats? It seems like we had quite a few turnovers based on poor calls from the refs (offensive fouls).
    by my count 4 were caused by questionable calls
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

One other thing that I think I'm going to have to come to terms with as a fan. I strongly believe that JW3 is "playing out of position" in terms of being the first offensive option in the post like the team did in the past with Karnowski. It worked well with Karnowski because of his superior court vision and passing and of course the fact that no player could ever stop him from scoring one on one.

JW3 is a great player. But he doesn't have the court vision or the passing ability of a player like Karnowski and I think by playing through him is a mistake.

With that said, I think Few has made his decision and I need to be at peace with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    by my count 4 were caused by questionable calls
    The last offensive foul on Rui was utterly ridiculous. Rui played perfect defense on that play. He was rightfully incredulous after that call.

Rui's defense has shown marked progress since October. By leaps and bounds IMO. He is showing lateral quickness on defense I never saw last year.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    One other thing that I think I'm going to have to come to terms with as a fan. I strongly believe that JW3 is "playing out of position" in terms of being the first offensive option in the post like the team did in the past with Karnowski. It worked well with Karnowski because of his superior court vision and passing and of course the fact that no player could ever stop him from scoring one on one.

JW3 is a great player. But he doesn't have the court vision or the passing ability of a player like Karnowski and I think by playing through him is a mistake.

With that said, I think Few has made his decision and I need to be at peace with that.
    Agree w you 100% here. Choice of putting your 5 best players on the court to start the game, which is what Zags are doing by starting JWIII and Tillie, vs putting the best team on the court, which imho would mean starting Larsen at the 5 and JWIII at the 4...his natural position.

It’s working vs WCC but I fear it won’t vs NCAA tourney foes. Tillie is an enigma to me in terms of showing up consistently. He may play w greater urgency and focus if coming off the bench