Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serious question about zags and wcc and moving elsewhere and march madness.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    They could do Div AA like Montana and Eastern. Not sure the Big Sky would want them in, and don't think it would be an improvement over the WCC.
    Side note my aunts dad played football for gonzaga and won a Superbowl with the Giants.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Side note my aunts dad played football for gonzaga and won a Superbowl with the Giants.
    SWEET!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Oregon started a baseball program from scratch about a decade or so ago. Starting a football program from the ground up...that would be a serious undertaking. Scholarship limit for football is 85. You have to have some depth. I would think you would have to be out recruiting for 2-3 years before you could actually field a team. Tough sell for kids to come in and practice for a few years without being able to play games. Not to mention building a football stadium would be cost prohibitive. I'd say it's a pipe dream, not happening. Not that anyone associated w/ the school is actually talking about starting a football program are they?
    GU has been expanding. Here's a Google Earth screenshot of the GU area in Spokane. McCarthey is indicated. The orange shaded area would be choice but questionable on whether it could be acquired. Across the Spokane River to the east is some fairly open ground (orange arrow). I'd like to think that if GU had a desire to go with a football program that they could pull it off. I think Spokane would be pretty friendly for it. Eastern Washington University out in Cheney has an exciting football program and draws quite a few Spokane fans out for games. Wazzu much further south draws Spokane fans too. Fun to ponder a GU FB program

http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    the problem is this..without a division 1 football program the Zags conference options are limited. I think for the size school the program is doing just fine and I wouldn't change a thing. They play enough good competition through the year to get ready for March Madness...I believe they have equaled or exceeded their NCAA tourney seeding 8 of the last 9 years...no need to change!
    Adding a football team would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by dhozagfan08 View Post
    Has the administration ever talked about adding a football team? I'm sure it would be difficult and would take a long time to build up, but I would think it's doable if a small school like Whitworth can have one. That would give us the option of at least going to a conference like the MWC, which would be an upgrade over the WCC.
    The cost would be prohibitive, mainly due to the fact that they would have to fund another 170 full ride scholarships. The 85 d1 football scholarships would have to be matched with 85 women's sport scholarships because of title 9. That would likely mean adding several additional women's sports. You would also have to build a stadium and a practice facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I couldn't help myself.....wouldn't your aunts dad also be your mothers dad and therefore he'd be your grandfather. (maybe it's your STEP aunt...Darn traditional families). Who was this guy. I hope he was on the sidelines because I don't remember anyone that was 64 yo playing for the Giants in their first Super Bowl win in 1987...

Quote Originally Posted by ZionZag View Post
    I couldn't help myself.....wouldn't your aunts dad also be your mothers dad and therefore he'd be your grandfather. (maybe it's your STEP aunt...Darn traditional families). Who was this guy. I hope he was on the sidelines because I don't remember anyone that was 64 yo playing for the Giants in their first Super Bowl win in 1987...
    unless your Aunt was your Mother or Fathers sister in law

Might be easier to get all Pac 12 teams to give up football

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I think that might well be another reason the BE isn’t interested in expanding...10% of $5-$10 is better than 8.5% of that amount...many things would change if GU was in a conference like the BE...BUT what benefit does the BE get from expansion?
    The Big East would take Gonzaga in a heartbeat if it were even one time zone further east. Gonzaga fits squarely in the Big East philosophy and profile. Gonzaga membership would increase the value of the Big East basketball TV offering and that would help all the members; greater visibility, higher profile.

Location is the real problem. The Big East is still committed enough to it's core principles that it can't expand that far west and gerrymander its schedule. It learned it's lesson from the headlong expansion it tried with football that caused the conference to lose its identity.

There will have to be a lot of structural changes to set conditions for GU going to the Big East.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by ZionZag View Post
    Ray Flaherty played for the 1934 World Champion NY Giants. One of two Zags in the Football Hall of Fame.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Flaherty

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Ray Flaherty played for the 1934 World Champion NY Giants. One of two Zags in the Football Hall of Fame.

Thanks Kitz..... I know all of that but that was no Super Bowl......I thought that's what he was referring to (1934) but as I indicated, I couldn't help my self...SORRY

Not that we haven't had this discussion a million times, but when we look at conferences, we tend to start with geographical/competition fit, and thus we put out names like the MWC, SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico and the like.

But, the folks at Jesuit house who own the place look first at the type of school it is - not just at whether it is Jesuit and/or Catholic, but is it private versus public, is academics the first, last, and near every middle priority, things like that.

WE can see "wow, UNLV and SDSU would be a perfect fit for a road trip" and meanwhile the Jesuits would find it the most "unfitfull" gathering one could create.

There's no easy or even semi-manageable solution or the people who think about this for a living (and are extremely good at it) would've thought of it long ago.

The most obvious west coast academic profile are the Pac schools. There's no similar west coast catholic college conference available. There's the football issue which would be the deciding point for 95% of the other schools, and then there's the Big East, perfect, but for half a continent.

And so it goes. The only thing I've given up on is the hope that the other schools in the WCC will commit to raising the national profile. Even SMC, god bless them, has basically only invested in Randy. They haven't established a "D-1 Power" facilities or mindset.

So, on we go, same issues, never resolved because they're largely intractable.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Not that we haven't had this discussion a million times, but when we look at conferences, we tend to start with geographical/competition fit, and thus we put out names like the MWC, SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico and the like.

But, the folks at Jesuit house who own the place look first at the type of school it is - not just at whether it is Jesuit and/or Catholic, but is it private versus public, is academics the first, last, and near every middle priority, things like that.

WE can see "wow, UNLV and SDSU would be a perfect fit for a road trip" and meanwhile the Jesuits would find it the most "unfitfull" gathering one could create.

There's no easy or even semi-manageable solution or the people who think about this for a living (and are extremely good at it) would've thought of it long ago.

The most obvious west coast academic profile are the Pac schools. There's no similar west coast catholic college conference available. There's the football issue which would be the deciding point for 95% of the other schools, and then there's the Big East, perfect, but for half a continent.

And so it goes. The only thing I've given up on is the hope that the other schools in the WCC will commit to raising the national profile. Even SMC, god bless them, has basically only invested in Randy. They haven't established a "D-1 Power" facilities or mindset.

So, on we go, same issues, never resolved because they're largely intractable.
    Agreed. Hopefully a new WCC commish will at least attempt to raise the bar from the sediment on the bottom.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I used to be of the opinion that a rising tide floats all boats. Unfortunately, it appears the WCC has been in a neap tide for a while.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I"m pretty sure Zags11 was not referring to Flaherty,. "Giants" is the key word , but it was pre Superbowl.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

WCC full of religious schools might show some forgiveness and offer a coach a second chance...say Malibu...LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    unless your Aunt was your Mother or Fathers sister in law

Might be easier to get all Pac 12 teams to give up football
    Its my moms sister in law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Bellinger
    Love the zags for life

http://www.gozags.com/sports/c-hallf...ger_bob00.html
    Love the zags for life

Anyways sorry I was trying to provide a cool tidbit. My aunt is also a season ticket holder with my family as well. She has the football (small) they gave out hanging as her necklace now. I apologize as I don't know what they were called then. (What they got for winning title)
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Oregon started a baseball program from scratch about a decade or so ago. Starting a football program from the ground up...that would be a serious undertaking. Scholarship limit for football is 85. You have to have some depth. I would think you would have to be out recruiting for 2-3 years before you could actually field a team. Tough sell for kids to come in and practice for a few years without being able to play games. Not to mention building a football stadium would be cost prohibitive. I'd say it's a pipe dream, not happening. Not that anyone associated w/ the school is actually talking about starting a football program are they?
    Would not have to necessarily build a football stadium...could utilize Joe Albi stadium for the first 5 or so years.

I have always thought a GU football program would be phenomenal in this area

A season of the following would be insane in this area

GU vs

EWU
    IDAHO
    MONTANA
    MONTANA ST

And vice versa for those schools as well

You have some major regional games in a small geographical range
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Would not have to necessarily build a football stadium...could utilize Joe Albi stadium for the first 5 or so years.

I have always thought a GU football program would be phenomenal in this area

A season of the following would be insane in this area

GU vs

EWU
    IDAHO
    MONTANA
    MONTANA ST

And vice versa for those schools as well

You have some major regional games in a small geographical range
    You’d be lucky to get 10,000 fans in the seats for any of those games. High school games in Texas draw bigger crowds.

The two biggest negatives IMO against bringing back football:

1. Title 9.
    2. CTE

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    WCC full of religious schools might show some forgiveness and offer a coach a second chance...say Malibu...LINK
    After the Eddie Sutton Experience I hope the WCC is done with rehabbed coaches.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    You’d be lucky to get 10,000 fans in the seats for any of those games...
    ???

EWU regularly sells out games 10k...

GU vs EWU would be an easy 15-20k if not higher.

Same with UM, MSU...their fans travel.

IDAHO I would assume a trip up to Spokane would be a good Saturday get away

I could not care less about Texas HS football attendance as it relates to football in this area
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    ???

EWU regularly sells out games 10k...

GU vs EWU would be an easy 15-20k if not higher.

Same with UM, MSU...their fans travel.

IDAHO I would assume a trip up to Spokane would be a good Saturday get away

I could not care less about Texas HS football attendance as it relates to football in this area
    So GU should add football so they can get back in the Big Sky, a Conference they opted to leave 40 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    So GU should add football so they can get back in the Big Sky, a Conference they opted to leave 40 years ago?
    I'm just hypothosizing...GU getting to a better bball conference trumps any dream regional football matchups I have

Maybe (????) .... start a whole new conference. I have no idea what that would entail or whether it is possible. Plus, if the Zags were in a new conference, say with west of the Mississippi schools, who’d be in it with GU? I’d surmise that a new conference would stir things up a bit as it would impact a fair number of other conferences. Guess I’m shooting this ‘idea’ in the foot (with a shotgun) already. Could the WCC add enough schools to split? Far fetched thoughts .....
    I’m personally fine with GU being in the WCC. I like that a WCC school can make it to a NCAA title game. My only beefs with GU in the WCC and/or being in Spokane, is not being able to get more big name schools to play us in Spokane (or for a BIS). I personally see way too many negatives with being in a conference with schools having great distances between them.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png