Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GU vs Portland post game thoughts and analyses

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Imagine what we could do if we weren't in the WCC...

Maybe we could win a game in 9 consecutive NCAA appearances, or win 2 games in the NCAA's in 3 consecutive appearances, or maybe even make the championship game. I mean, that would be a dream come true, don't you think! Maybe we could get a couple of 1 seeds! Just imagine!

Nah, just a pipe dream. We could never accomplish all of that, better than all but a couple of programs in all of college basketball, coming out of the WCC.
    HAHA!!! Love it!

The Zags leaving the WCC has been covered ad naseum. There has to be a place for them to go, and all the other programs have to have a place as well.

Continued griping about the WCC does no one any good. It is what it is, and the Zags will do what the Zags do. If you want to watch ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 sports...feel free. This is Gonzaga in the WCC, at least until all the needs can be met to affect a change.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    HAHA!!! Love it!

The Zags leaving the WCC has been covered ad naseum. There has to be a place for them to go, and all the other programs have to have a place as well.

Continued griping about the WCC does no one any good. It is what it is, and the Zags will do what the Zags do. If you want to watch ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 sports...feel free. This is Gonzaga in the WCC, at least until all the needs can be met to affect a change.
    the Zags can still overcome the WCC and have proven it, yes! I love them for it.

doesn't change the fact the league is a basketball donkey pretty much year after year. you disagree with that and think the league, not the Zags or SMC, but the overall basketball league is a good basketball league?

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    the Zags can still overcome the WCC and have proven it, yes! I love them for it.

doesn't change the fact the league is a basketball donkey pretty much year after year. you disagree with that and think the league, not the Zags or SMC, but the overall basketball league is a good basketball league?

What is your interest? What is your end goal?

Is your interest what is best for Gonzaga basketball and GU Athletics generally? Or is your interest the quality of conference opponents?

If it is the former, while not ideal, the WCC remains the best fit for Gonzaga. And as I sarcastically attempted to demonstrate, it has not hurt Gonzaga's Basketball team in the least. Only 1 team has a longer current streak of winning at least one NCAA tournament game, Kansas with 11 versus Gonzaga at 9. Only one team has a longer current streak of winning at least 2 NCAA tournament games with Wisconsin at 4, versus Gonzaga at 3. We have had multiple 1 seeds awarded and other top 4 seeds as well. The WCC isn't the best basketball conference, but it is not hold Gonzaga basketball back even a little bit.

If your interest is a better basketball conference, why?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    HAHA!!! Love it!

It seems that perhaps some of the justification for moving to another conference is fueled by boredom and the desire to see the Zags play more interesting opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    It seems that perhaps some of the justification for moving to another conference is fueled by boredom and the desire to see the Zags play more interesting opponents.
    obviously, but imo it has been well-established that currently, such a scenario doesn't exist...so it seems pointless to constantly refer back to it.

What is your interest? What is your end goal?

Is your interest what is best for Gonzaga basketball and GU Athletics generally? Or is your interest the quality of conference opponents?

If it is the former, while not ideal, the WCC remains the best fit for Gonzaga. And as I sarcastically attempted to demonstrate, it has not hurt Gonzaga's Basketball team in the least. Only 1 team has a longer current streak of winning at least one NCAA tournament game, Kansas with 11 versus Gonzaga at 9. Only one team has a longer current streak of winning at least 2 NCAA tournament games with Wisconsin at 4, versus Gonzaga at 3. We have had multiple 1 seeds awarded and other top 4 seeds as well. The WCC isn't the best basketball conference, but it is not hold Gonzaga basketball back even a little bit.

If your interest is a better basketball conference, why?
    thanks for your passionate reply.

My goal? My interest? To root for and observe the Zags basketball team and Mark Few. That's why I'm here. Few is my favorite coach for many reasons, and I look to emulate his family approach and laying down roots approach and not following the next flashiest opportunity approach, but instead to build a life with your community through your expressions as a coach over a long time.

That is what I am into, who I am, and why Few is, to me, the MAN. That's why I follow this team and root for their success. It's not an alumni thing, it's about something else for me.

Anyway, I could argue that the level of the WCC over the years helped create that ceiling of Few 32 and all that, and it took many years for the Zags to overcome and adjust to it...that's what I think happened WHICH IS AWESOME btw!!!

along with getting Shem who ultimately led the best front court in the country last year imo with the best Zag backcourt ever imo led by the best Zag year ever in the uniform by a player not named Morrison.

but that doesn't deny that the WCC, as a basketball conference, isn't very good...I thought it was self evident frankly. And while Few is incredible at overcoming the need for normal convention, this year's WCC drek is quite drekky so I agreed with the original premise.

all that said, I LOVE following every game and the development of the players...every game, root for them all hard, love watching the development

At this juncture, it appears as though the bottom 5 WCC teams are totally inept. The top 4 teams appear to be adequate or better and Pacific may be on the rise. Until the first round is over we won't know who is really good and who the pretenders are. The bottom half does appear to be far worse than normal however. The GU/SMC game should tell us a lot but it doesn't take a genius to figure this out.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    At this juncture, it appears as though the bottom 5 WCC teams are totally inept. The top 4 teams appear to be adequate or better and Pacific may be on the rise. Until the first round is over we won't know who is really good and who the pretenders are. The bottom half does appear to be far worse than normal however. The GU/SMC game should tell us a lot but it doesn't take a genius to figure this out.
    The bottom 3 teams are 1-14, the only win being LMU last night. I see Portland improving with Porter as the head coach. Pepperdine IMO is officially a lost cause, the way the administration backed down on improving facilities was telling.

Zags and Gaels are both 5-0, five teams are 3-2 or 2-3, LMU is 1-4, and two are 0-5. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

WCC RPI (per KenPom) is currently 11 (of 32).

Same source, since 2002:

There are certain variables that effect the #'s such as the changing # of teams in the WCC & other conference realignments.

Be that as it may, I count 9 yrs. where the # is worse, 4 yrs. where it's the same & 3 where it's better.

A little perspective. Hope it helps.
    GU Boards, where men (?) talk about their underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

Same source, since 2002:

There are certain variables that effect the #'s such as the changing # of teams in the WCC & other conference realignments.

Be that as it may, I count 9 yrs. where the # is worse, 4 yrs. where it's the same & 3 where it's better.

it does, thank you. 6 down from the Power 5 but 20 up on the rest
    but I've never advocated leaving the WCC

Was anyone else as excited as me to see kispert at SG?! I haven't watched all of the blowouts, so they may have done it before and I missed it. I love the size that lineup brings with CK at SG and RH at SF. Great for rebounding, they had two offensive rebounds in a row. That's a lot of length in a zone defense as well. I was thinking about that possibility already in regards to the log jam up front for next year. If kispert plays some at SG and rui gets 20 min a game at SF, that kind of takes care of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post

Same source, since 2002:

I wonder what those rankings would be if the Zags were removed from the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I wonder what those rankings would be if the Zags were removed from the equation.
    this. I would love to see an rpi where you remove the rpi of the best 2 teams from each league, then rerank the league. It would be interesting to see which leagues have more top to bottom balance and which leagues are being propped up by one or two teams

Maybe we could win a game in 9 consecutive NCAA appearances, or win 2 games in the NCAA's in 3 consecutive appearances, or maybe even make the championship game. I mean, that would be a dream come true, don't you think! Maybe we could get a couple of 1 seeds! Just imagine!

Nah, just a pipe dream. We could never accomplish all of that, better than all but a couple of programs in all of college basketball, coming out of the WCC.
    I'll have what he's having.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I worry about bad habits / over-confidence. For example, that play when Rui and Tillie were like 2 feet from one another, Rui just hands Killian the ball who then scores it. Terrible spacing that ain’t gonna fly vs tourney teams.
    Yes, that spacing was allowed just because the opponent was Portland.
    Hi, I'm a Japanese, I wanna communicate with Zags fans here, sorry for my bad English.

think how bad it could have been if they called all the fouls Portland really committed.

http://www.spokesman.com/galleries/2...and-jan-11/#/6

perfect!!!! thank you, and i agree
    getting tired of the Debby downers, makes these boards depressing to read half the time

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I agree after the first round is complete we really won't know how strong the top four are going to be; however, from having seen every team play at least one, I think WCC can get three teams into the dance...GU, SMC and USD...

SMC has already beaten BYU on the road and USD at home in a close game. If USD can beat SMC at home and beat BYU twice, I think USD has a better than average chance of making the dance this year. If by chance they beat the Zags at home, then I think they would be a lock...conference is stronger this year than the last couple of years...

In addition, I don't think playing in the WCC has truly "hurt" the Zag's opportunities regarding the Dance...barring any strange catastrophe GU will be playing in its 20th consecutive NCAA tournament...I'm not sure any Big East team can say the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I agree after the first round is complete we really won't know how strong the top four are going to be; however, from having seen every team play at least one, I think WCC can get three teams into the dance...GU, SMC and USD...

SMC has already beaten BYU on the road and USD at home in a close game. If USD can beat SMC at home and beat BYU twice, I think USD has a better than average chance of making the dance this year. If by chance they beat the Zags at home, then I think they would be a lock...conference is stronger this year than the last couple of years...

In addition, I don't think playing in the WCC has truly "hurt" the Zag's opportunities regarding the Dance...barring any strange catastrophe GU will be playing in its 20th consecutive NCAA tournament...I'm not sure any Big East team can say the same...
    San Diego is currently at an RPI (Espn) of 113. Unless they win the conf. tourney they will not be in the ncaa tourney

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    San Diego is currently at an RPI (Espn) of 113. Unless they win the conf. tourney they will not be in the ncaa tourney
    Not saying it will happen, BUT. If USD wins out except for a Loss in Spokane, their RPI is projected to be 40. That is not including WCC tourney outcomes.

Used RPI wizard http://www.rpiforecast.com/cgi-bin/rpiwizard.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Not saying it will happen, BUT. If USD wins out except for a Loss in Spokane, their RPI is projected to be 40. That is not including WCC tourney outcomes.

Used RPI wizard http://www.rpiforecast.com/cgi-bin/rpiwizard.cgi
    Just saw that Pacific beat USD last night. Never mind. Seems to be a problem with any one outside of GU-SMC. No one else takes care of the bottom of the league like they're 'supposed' to.

It seems unwise to dump shame and disdain onto the WCC as long as GU remains a member of that conference. Regardless of what may or may not happen in the future, as of today the WCC is our conference and I celebrate their greatness.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Just saw that Pacific beat USD last night. Never mind. Seems to be a problem with any one outside of GU-SMC. No one else takes care of the bottom of the league like they're 'supposed' to.
    Wow! USD must have been down from losing that SMC game...I think GU has really tough road games - except for Portland as I think that is a “sure” win (?)...UOP has beaten BYU and USD back-to-back at home...don’t see GU with 30-40 point victories at USF, SCU, UOP, USD, BYU or SMC...I hope we are able to stay focused and execute the game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Another variable perhaps, strike. And one that I am waaaaay to lazy to figure out!!
    GU Boards, where men (?) talk about their underwear.