Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Portland post game thoughts and analyses

Default GU vs Portland post game thoughts and analyses

I LOVED IT!!! HAHAHA

Gonzaga 103
    Portland 57

For many, I suppose a boring game. For others like me, FANTASTIC. I mean, Melson who has been in a shooting slump from behind the arc hit 7-11. He also led the team with 23 points. If it wasn't Melson from the outside it was Rui Hachimura from the inside, Rui, displaying every twisting and turning move humanly possible, scored 20. He dribbled the full length of the court twice for twisting layups and Iceman's finger rolls. Or was he Julius Irving? These are reasons why I call Game Day the best day of the week. Like I said a few days ago, the beauty of this team is that you are not going to know who is going to lead the team in scoring.

Zags knock down 13 three's, shoot 52% from the field, grabbed 50 rebounds (may be a team high for the year against a good rebounding team), and only had 6 turnovers (season low I believe), and 22 assists.

The key for me was keeping the pedal to the metal. The team never let up. Portland made some nice three pointers, but they always have a good three- point shooting team. Portland is a rising young team in conference who just recently lost to San Diego by only two points. I'd say this victory by the Zags tonight is a statement. They now get ready to go into San Francisco to play the Dons. This is always a tough game for GU.

Perkins had 13 and Tillie 15.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I envy the ACC, BE, P12 etc, even A10, MWC games..
    Hi, I'm a Japanese, I wanna communicate with Zags fans here, sorry for my bad English.

I can't remember a more complete domination of a team in quite a while. Every Zag on the active roster scores, team scores 103 pts, hauls down 50 RB's, gets 22 A's vs just 6 TO's. Throw in 6 blocks and 9 steals, just amazing! Oh, and Rui was just amazing too.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Just keep pouring it on and celebrating 46 point victories capped by former team manager getting couple rebs and first basket and Zags may be told to leave WCC...we can hope

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Just keep pouring it on and celebrating 46 point victories capped by former team manager getting couple rebs and first basket and Zags may be told to leave WCC...we can hope
    If these first few games are an indication, it might happen!

-Maybe that dribble drive for Wade will help take the lid off the basket.
    -Larsen had 10 rebounds in limited minutes.
    -Rui looks like he is running in slow motion when he has the ball, but the other time is running in even slower motion. He looks so comfortable out there and is a truly unique player who is a matchup nightmare. He appears to be very comfortable and confident, and could probably finger roll a bucket over this Portland defense while reading the morning paper and drinking a cup of coffee. I can’t wait until he starts moving full speed
    -Perkins showed a really good handle against these guys and got anywhere he wanted to go on the court. I wish I knew what he said to Coach Few on his way out that caused him to crack such a big smile.
    -Kispert’s 3’s were all very close and he’s going to be the next Zag to hit 7 in a game.
    -Tillie had the dunk of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    -Maybe that dribble drive for Wade will help take the lid off the basket.
    -Larsen had 10 rebounds in limited minutes.
    -Rui looks like he is running in slow motion when he has the ball, but the other time is running in even slower motion. He looks so comfortable out there and is a truly unique player who is a matchup nightmare. He appears to be very comfortable and confident, and could probably finger roll a bucket over this Portland defense while reading the morning paper and drinking a cup of coffee. I can’t wait until he starts moving full speed
    -Perkins showed a really good handle against these guys and got anywhere he wanted to go on the court. I wish I knew what he said to Coach Few on his way out that caused him to crack such a big smile.
    -Kispert’s 3’s were all very close and he’s going to be the next Zag to hit 7 in a game.
    -Tillie had the dunk of the night.
    Larsen played almost as many minutes as J3...17 minutes logged tonight very good run for him

Perkins with 7 assist in less than 20 minutes of play. Wow

Defense and rebounding was incredible

I thought he gave coach few a kiss on cheek
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Perkins fouls out playing 19 min....and my wife said he kissed Few going to the bench after fouling out...I didn't see it...anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Perkins fouls out playing 19 min....and my wife said he kissed Few going to the bench after fouling out...I didn't see it...anybody?
    Agree with your wife I thought he kissed the coach
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Sounds like we have two votes for kiss on the cheek. I deleted the game already so I can’t rewatch...

Eta: 3 votes. First the leopard print robe, now this. Perkins’ is making his mark in more ways than one

Sorry about no post game radio, I had to come home and shovel and snow blow about 6 inches of fresh snow, hahaha. I do recall Michaelson saying the Zags put up 78 shots tonight which he thought might be a record. Also noted Melson was noted as a shooter and a scorer coming out of high school so everyone knew he could have this kind of night which I believe was a record high. Morrison noted Tillie is much more athletic than he thought. He noted the little "shot put" shot from the lane in not an easy shot and Tillie seems to have mastered it. Also was complimentary of Tillie's dunk which he can definitely do but rarely does. Morrison noted Rui's points per minute is off the charts which Morrison says is something tracked very closely in the NBA. And his GU leading WCC scoring is being accomplished in not a lot of minutes. Michaelson said the WCC schedule is what it is and they absolutely had to go 5-0 in this stretch which will not get significantly tougher beginning at USF on Saturday, followed by SMC and then back on the road the following Saturday. He also said J3 could have returned if GU really needed him tonight but they elected to sit him and get him ready for Saturday. That's about all I recall.
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Sorry about no post game radio, I had to come home and shovel and snow blow about 6 inches of fresh snow, hahaha. I do recall Michaelson saying the Zags put up 78 shots tonight which he thought might be a record. Also noted Melson was noted as a shooter and a scorer coming out of high school so everyone knew he could have this kind of night which I believe was a record high. Morrison noted Tillie is much more athletic than he thought. He noted the little "shot put" shot from the lane in not an easy shot and Tillie seems to have mastered it. Also was complimentary of Tillie's dunk which he can definitely do but rarely does. Morrison noted Rui's points per minute is off the charts which Morrison says is something tracked very closely in the NBA. And his GU leading WCC scoring is being accomplished in not a lot of minutes. Michaelson said the WCC schedule is what it is and they absolutely had to go 5-0 in this stretch which will not get significantly tougher beginning at USF on Saturday, followed by SMC and then back on the road the following Saturday. He also said J3 could have returned if GU really needed him tonight but they elected to sit him and get him ready for Saturday. That's about all I recall.
    Was looking for the post game radio thread! Found it! Thanks! Good luck with the snow!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

I saw it. Few smiled, then I smiled.

We are monkey butt suck.

I know, I know, trust the process, young guys, learning experience, growing pains...but weh.

See you on ESPN in two weeks!
    SOUND VOLTEX IV HEAVENLY HAVEN

伝説になんてならなくていい。It does not need to become a legend.
    常に新たな礎を作っていけばいい。It should always make new foundations.
    これからもずっと。Always.

Snoozers........but it's always thrilling to watch Rui grow.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Absolutely...he has so much talent and he now plays within himself...

Next for him is feeling comfortable in taking his open 3's...when he starts hitting those, then "A" line drives open up for him, which will drive his defender and coaches nuts...

Just another thought...if those extremely open 3's would have hit, we could have scored at least 120pts!

Highlight of the game for me was the team’s celebration when the manager turned walk-on, Pete, knocked down a midrange baseline jumper to score his first career points. Seeing such unbridled joy and enthusiasm in support of a teammate is why Zags truly are a “close knit team...like family”. Many programs like to describe themselves as such but I really think Zags are unique in the degree to which that is in fact their reality.

Love seeing Silas stroke it w confidence and Rui’s continued improvement. Everyone looked great (except for Kispert from 3), but not sure if Zags are improving as a team vs such over-matched opponents. I worry about bad habits / over-confidence. For example, that play when Rui and Tillie were like 2 feet from one another, Rui just hands Killian the ball who then scores it. Terrible spacing that ain’t gonna fly vs tourney teams.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

I agree on the bench. That was one of the most fantastic sights I have seen at GU. It again shows the GU unity and expression of excitement that we have. Go Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Highlight of the game for me was the team’s celebration when the manager turned walk-on, Pete, knocked down a midrange baseline jumper to score his first career points. Seeing such unbridled joy and enthusiasm in support of a teammate is why Zags truly are a “close knit team...like family”. Many programs like to describe themselves as such but I really think Zags are unique in the degree to which that is in fact their reality.

Love seeing Silas stroke it w confidence and Rui’s continued improvement. Everyone looked great (except for Kispert from 3), but not sure if Zags are improving as a team vs such over-matched opponents. I worry about bad habits / over-confidence. For example, that play when Rui and Tillie were like 2 feet from one another, Rui just hands Killian the ball who then scores it. Terrible spacing that ain’t gonna fly vs tourney teams.
    That was fun. Just another reason why one ought never leave a Zags game early

I saw a smiling Few a couple times when Rui was doing his stuff. I sure hope we can keep Rui for awhile! At least another season.

I hope J3 is OK. Not seeing him on the floor after 1/2 time was worrying. I was so glad when he finally came out of the tunnel dressed to play.

Melson He looked pretty comfy last night.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    no doubt...rui must have been watching ko tape, cuz that spin move was from the olynyk klynyk...too bad he missed the shot...a little too much momentum...ko never had that problem, ha.

Its going to be a system shock more than usual when they hit the NCAA tournament and play against some quality competition. This league is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Its going to be a system shock more than usual when they hit the NCAA tournament and play against some quality competition. This league is pathetic.
    Gotta agree with this........Lulled into complacency more than ever before. Just human nature. Can't see Tillie and Rui floating around the key unfettered against a real team. And Josh will be pressed.

agree with this although there are still some potential turds to step in from the WCC ahead

Wcc does nothing but hurt us. Our rpi, our players, our level prep for March...

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Wcc does nothing but hurt us. Our rpi, our players, our level prep for March...
    Imagine what we could do if we weren't in the WCC...

Maybe we could win a game in 9 consecutive NCAA appearances, or win 2 games in the NCAA's in 3 consecutive appearances, or maybe even make the championship game. I mean, that would be a dream come true, don't you think! Maybe we could get a couple of 1 seeds! Just imagine!

Nah, just a pipe dream. We could never accomplish all of that, better than all but a couple of programs in all of college basketball, coming out of the WCC.