Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gonzaga Men's Basketball Team IS NOT a professional team

Default The Gonzaga Men's Basketball Team IS NOT a professional team

I just wanted to get that out there. There are a fair amount of posters on this board who seem to have lost perspective that Gonzaga is a University and its sports teams are populated with young, student athletes who are brand new adults and going through what most of us went through when we were brand new adults.

In addition to the difficulties that we all had to go through, the members of the mens basketball team also have to deal with the spotlight of being major celebrities in the campus and Spokane communities and minor celebrities every where else.

There also is real pressure on these young men to perform well for the sake of the long established reputation of excellence for Gonzaga basketball, the coaches expectations, the fans expectations, their personal expectations and not to mention their future financial well being as professional athletes.

Although I know they are treated well in terms of their creature comforts and get a small stipend of money to cover expenses, not to mention a very valuable education, they are not compensated commiserate with the revenue they helped to generate for Gonzaga and by extension dozens of other entities that benefit from Gonzaga Basketball being big time!

So, the next time you go to post something that may be unkind to a specific player keep in perspective who they are. Very young adults who relative to their contribution aren't getting squat from you. As an Alum and a fan, I have enough joy from following this University and this team to fill a lifetime and hopefully I'm just a little past halfway. Gonzaga and the players don't owe me a damn thing and yet they keep on giving.

God Bless

I feel the same when following the GIAG Blog. Except when one of those punks misses a shot and lets me down (just kidding).

We all need to temper our comments at times and keep things in perspective, which most of you do extremely well.

They aren't?
    Love the zags for life

On the other hand, Coach Few is a multi millionaire. I don't have a lot of criticism for the winningest active coach in college basketball, but IMO he is absolutely fair game in this forum. He gets paid (A LOT) to get it right. Thankfully he does get it right most of the time.

Interestingly, though, it seems that we have it backwards on this forum a lot where we are "allowed" to be really critical of the players, but not so much for the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I just wanted to get that out there. There are a fair amount of posters on this board who seem to have lost perspective that Gonzaga is a University and its sports teams are populated with young, student athletes who are brand new adults and going through what most of us went through when we were brand new adults.

In addition to the difficulties that we all had to go through, the members of the mens basketball team also have to deal with the spotlight of being major celebrities in the campus and Spokane communities and minor celebrities every where else.

There also is real pressure on these young men to perform well for the sake of the long established reputation of excellence for Gonzaga basketball, the coaches expectations, the fans expectations, their personal expectations and not to mention their future financial well being as professional athletes.

Although I know they are treated well in terms of their creature comforts and get a small stipend of money to cover expenses, not to mention a very valuable education, they are not compensated commiserate with the revenue they helped to generate for Gonzaga and by extension dozens of other entities that benefit from Gonzaga Basketball being big time!

So, the next time you go to post something that may be unkind to a specific player keep in perspective who they are. Very young adults who relative to their contribution aren't getting squat from you. As an Alum and a fan, I have enough joy from following this University and this team to fill a lifetime and hopefully I'm just a little past halfway. Gonzaga and the players don't owe me a damn thing and yet they keep on giving.

God Bless
    Very well said (although it won’t stop the criticisms).

Word.

God Bless
    Good post

Just because I'm sort of venting today, "We" are not on the team. "We" didn't win or lose. The team isn't "US". We're just a bunch of knucklehead fans.

My apologies if you're a coach, manager or player on the team. If those descriptions apply to you, this post does not.

I think it is ok to be critical---but not rude----they are adults

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    I agree on each of your posts above, but certainly not this one/sentiment.

Maybe the Minnesota Vikings or Buffalo Bills aren't "we" for me as a fan, but the Zags most certainly are...

I spent 4 yrs as a student and employee of Gonzaga. Invested over $120,000+ to "our" institution for living, food, education, & experience.

Not to mention, I contribute/donate money every year to the Gonzaga Athletics program for the past 12 years.

I'm an Alumni, former Gonzaga Employee, & current Booster.

If I worked for the Minnesota Vikings, anywhere in the organization, it'd definitely be a "we" statement, how is this any different?

Gonzaga is "us", "we", etc. I understand this is a pet peeve for some, and I get as it relates to professional teams we watch from afar, but considered I've contributed financially to the school & directly to atheltics my entire adult life, since I was 18 (now 36), I feel justified in saying "we".
    If we didn't think of our teams(alum, not alum,etc) as we or us? Their wouldn't be them like it is now for them. They'd be just whatever and this is From college to NFL. So people you say it isn't " we"....We donate or pay for what they get.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    If we didn't think of our teams(alum, not alum,etc) as we or us? Their wouldn't be them like it is now for them. They'd be just whatever and this is From college to NFL. So people you say it isn't " we"....We donate or pay for what they get.
    Anyone, as a fan, should be able to refer to their favorite team as "we"...its human nature and as sports fans.

I do it inherently, it's how we feel when they win, or when they lose.

It's definitely a part of us.

My post above was referring just to me, yet I think can apply to everyone who cares about this team....whether you are alum, or not. Booster or not. Doesn't really matter

Collective term--"we" and we should be thinking like we are part of this wonderful experiment. It's part of the joy.....at least for me.

On the other hand, Coach Few is a multi millionaire. I don't have a lot of criticism for the winningest active coach in college basketball, but IMO he is absolutely fair game in this forum. He gets paid (A LOT) to get it right. Thankfully he does get it right most of the time.

Interestingly, though, it seems that we have it backwards on this forum a lot where we are "allowed" to be really critical of the players, but not so much for the coaches.
    One of the last charts on coaches salaries that I saw showed Rick Pitino as the highest paid coach making about 7 million and Mark Few was listed down at about 30th with less than 2 million. I don't care much for posts that are overly critical of either the players or the coaches on this board. I know I have made comments about the inconsistent play we have seen this year and in retrospect (especially following this past weekend), many other programs suffer from the same problem. As it is, I have never seen anyone say you couldn't be critical of the coaches or the players but I do think we need to keep things in perspective and I appreciate the point being made. Being critical of a coach that has been as dedicated as Mark Few (or his staff) may reflect more negatively on the person doing the criticizing than it does the coach (in my opinion). I wouldn't trade Mark for Rick Pitino or many of the other coaches between him and the top of the salary list. We are blessed with good players and a good staff. Thanks for reminding us all to keep things in a proper perspective.

God Bless
    guess it could be how each board member defines "unkind"

Just because I'm sort of venting today, "We" are not on the team. "We" didn't win or lose. The team isn't "US". We're just a bunch of knucklehead fans.

My apologies if you're a coach, manager or player on the team. If those descriptions apply to you, this post does not.
    I could be wrong but haven't we heard Roth and Few say on more than one occasion Gonzaga couldn't have built the program to such heights without the unbelievable support of the Spokane community?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I could be wrong but haven't we heard Roth and Few say on more than one occasion Gonzaga couldn't have built the program to such heights without the unbelievable support of the Spokane community?
    I like to think it is a result of the dedicated fans living in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    I like to think it is a result of the dedicated fans living in Texas.
    Damn straight! I'm still waiting on the check for Big D's halftime performance at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. LOLOLOLOLOL squared

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Anyone, as a fan, should be able to refer to their favorite team as "we"...its human nature and as sports fans.

I do it inherently, it's how we feel when they win, or when they lose.

It's definitely a part of us.

My post above was referring just to me, yet I think can apply to everyone who cares about this team....whether you are alum, or not. Booster or not. Doesn't really matter
    I was just explaining why people refer to the teams they root for as we or us. I totally understand what you meant.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    I think it is ok to be critical---but not rude----they are adults
    18-22 year olds are considered adults in age only. I certainly didn’t become an “adult” until after 25 or so.

Agree with most your post, Former, but We Are Zags:

https://youtu.be/y7-K8D8Zm60

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    18-22 year olds are considered adults in age only. I certainly didn’t become an “adult” until after 25 or so.
    25 for you 18 for some 40 for others-----what are you saying ? shall everyone under 25 be given diapers?

God Bless
    +1000
    Also, I remember that most of the posters are also not professionals. They are have very right to express their oppiniosn, but as most internet posts are not worth the pixels they generate. It is at most for our own entertainment and not real in any sense of the word.

As example, I remember reading a poster that he spoke NBA scout who said no one on the current Zags were on the NBA radar. Then I balance this uncomfirmed runor with Mark Titus talking on his podcast saying he (a real professional) had talk with a NBA and that scout said that 4 Zags had catch his and the other NBA scouts. I know that Mark really did speak to a NBA scout.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I think most of the Zags would find our vomit of words more a joke than insightful brllance. ANd yes I include myself in this.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    25 for you 18 for some 40 for others-----what are you saying ? shall everyone under 25 be given diapers?
    I’m saying 18-22 year olds are not adults. I don’t care how mature some may be or act. An 18 year old freshman is literally 4-5 months removed from his/her senior year of high school where they were still considered a kid. For the most part they haven’t experienced life.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I’m saying 18-22 year olds are not adults. I don’t care how mature some may be or act. An 18 year old freshman is literally 4-5 months removed from his/her senior year of high school where they were still considered a kid. For the most part they haven’t experienced life.
    Well hells bells, let’s move the age to 22 to sign contracts, get married, drink beer, etc. The day I turned 18, my stepfather told me I could grab a beer from the fridge anytime I wanted. Before my 23rd birthday, I was a platoon leader for both missile platoons in my battery in Germany.

My stepbrother was in Vietnam before his 18th birthday, and there were thousands of 18 year olds “experiencing life” , and death in too many cases on the battlefields in Europe about 75 years ago.

Youth today IMO are being held to a lower standard when it comes to becoming an adult, getting most of the privileges but without the responsibility.

Sorry, that’s just the way I feel.

"WE are G U" is a pretty standard chant by kennel club in big games.

Maybe they should edit it to "YOU are G U"?

Nah...WE are Zags is spot on and if the slipper fits...it is US.