• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LTownZag
    Banned
    • Mar 2017

Bill Walton is insane

He makes games unwatchable! (or unlistenable) - and he seldom brings any real insight or teachable knowledge.

Does anyone actually appreciate or enjoy his announcing? (serious question, because I assume ESPN must focus group this stuff...)

I wonder if he is like this in person or real life (a self-centered arrogant rambler who interupts with constant non-sequitors) or is this a schtick that he puts on for entertainment value?

I remember late last year when he announced some ZAG game and I wanted him to shut up about the cosmos and the conference of champions, but I thought he was just pissed since Gonzaga was the best seed from the western part of the country. But now listening to a pac12 game, I think he's just nuts.
  • seacatfan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2014

I don't understand it, but some people actually do claim they enjoy Bill Walton. I can only assume they aren't forced to listen to him very often. He has called A LOT of Arizona's games the last 3 or 4 years. I can't stand him. He says nothing worthwhile the entire broadcast.

Comment

• zagamatic
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2009

I absolutely refuse to add to his ratings. When he did broadcast a Zags game, I simply listened to it on the radio. He's the poster boy for why drugs are bad for you.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I'm One of those perverts who enjoy Bill Walton. No accounting for tastes, I guess.

Comment

• Mantua
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
          I absolutely refuse to add to his ratings. When he did broadcast a Zags game, I simply listened to it on the radio. He's the poster boy for why drugs are bad for you.

Ha! Yes!
          Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
            Please! Don't blame the drugs!
            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• bartruff1
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

I will guess that it has to do with the fact that he had a debilitating stutter .....and he lives in the fear that he will have a problem during a broadcast.....so he just keeps talking...it is sad really.....

Comment

• LTownZag
                Banned
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                I'm One of those perverts who enjoy Bill Walton. No accounting for tastes, I guess.
                I'm genuinely curious why you like listening. Do you learn more about the game? The players? Do you think he has good observations that you'd otherwise miss? Is he funny?

Comment

• All Weather Fan
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Mar 2015

But have you read "The Immortal Irishman"? lol

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                    Ditto (most of the time).

*Disclaimer*

I'm the same age as Bill. I think there are a lot of generational references (60's & 70's) that may not resonate with some folks (& not meaning to be condescending with that remark).
                    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Mantua
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                      Ditto (most of the time).

*Disclaimer*

I'm the same age as Bill. I think there are a lot of generational references (60's & 70's) that may not resonate with some folks (& not meaning to be condescending with that remark).

They can ask Alice. I think she knows.
                      Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• amaronizag
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Jul 2013

It was fun to watch Bill at PK80. True, we were in Portland, but he's a real celebrity. He hobbles around painfully on those knees but he's tireless. He's constantly stopping to talk to fans and being stopped by fans to pose for pictures with him. ALL day long. And he knows EVERYBODY, and they all come over to greet him and chat. Much different and more personable than when his stream of consciousness rap is blathering during games. I see him in a different light after PK80 and maybe I can be more tolerant of his on air personality now....maybe.

Comment

• zagdontzig
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
                          He makes games unwatchable! (or unlistenable) - and he seldom brings any real insight or teachable knowledge.

Does anyone actually appreciate or enjoy his announcing? (serious question, because I assume ESPN must focus group this stuff...)

I wonder if he is like this in person or real life (a self-centered arrogant rambler who interupts with constant non-sequitors) or is this a schtick that he puts on for entertainment value?

I remember late last year when he announced some ZAG game and I wanted him to shut up about the cosmos and the conference of champions, but I thought he was just pissed since Gonzaga was the best seed from the western part of the country. But now listening to a pac12 game, I think he's just nuts.
                          +1

Originally posted by amaronizag View Post
                          It was fun to watch Bill at PK80. True, we were in Portland, but he's a real celebrity. He hobbles around painfully on those knees but he's tireless. He's constantly stopping to talk to fans and being stopped by fans to pose for pictures with him. ALL day long. And he knows EVERYBODY, and they all come over to greet him and chat. Much different and more personable than when his stream of consciousness rap is blathering during games. I see him in a different light after PK80 and maybe I can be more tolerant of his on air personality now....maybe.
                          I struggle because I also think he's a self-centered, rambling, idiot (see cat-milking game), but I also have to respect his accomplishments on the court.
                          Originally posted by Reborn
                          Go Zags!!!
                          Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

It's two completely different things. He might be the most interesting guy you could ever hope to meet if you get a chance to talk to him and hear him tell a bunch of stories. But as a commentator during a basketball game, he's borderline incompetent. The Bill Walton traveling variety show is not what he's supposed to be doing, he should be calling the action on the floor. There isn't one other broadcaster working for a major network that behaves anywhere near as unprofessional as Walton. I'd gladly take Dickie V over Walton any day of the week.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I love listening to Bill. He has more fun doing a game than any other announcer. I love having volcanos palm trees sunsets and all that stuff thrown into the course of the game. I will have to admit when he is on a broadcast with that fat red headed guy they make the world's ugliest game crew.

Comment

Working...
                              X