Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Celebrity Death Pool Prediction Thread

Charlotte Fox, climber of the tallest peaks, survivor of 1996 Everest disaster, dies after an apparent fall at home, age 61

I didn’t see how we were going to get out of it alive,” Fox told Jon Krakauer in his book “Into Thin Air,” which recounted the infamous 1996 blizzard that stranded climbers for one freezing night, leaving eight dead. “The cold was so painful, I didn’t think I could endure it anymore. I just curled up in a ball and hoped death would come quickly.”

Instead, she would survive through the night and live 22 more years to scale countless mountains around the world. The experience on Mount Everest the night of May 10, 1996 may have made Fox and her fellow climbers celebrities for a time, but for Fox it was but a rung on the ladder in a life of great heights.

That’s why, when she died last week at home in Telluride, Colo., from an apparent fall from the top of her stairs, her friends were in disbelief. She had just turned 61. Her birthday was May 10.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

Dwight Clark, wide receiver for the 49ers, had ALS. He was 61. Clark was known for “the catch,” the TD pass from Joe Montana that beat the Cowboys in the 1981 NFC championship game.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

Anthony Bourdain ☹️

Ugh.. this sucks. And another celebrity suicide. Scary stat on the news yesterday. More Americans die from suicide than car accidents.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

And Kate Spade took her life earlier this week. Sad.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

C.M. Newton, a Hall of Fame athletic director and coach whose basketball career spanning more than 50 years as a player and administrator, died June 4 at 88.

Officials at the University of Kentucky, where he had been a member of the 1951 NCAA championship squad, announced his death but did not disclose a cause or where he died.

Mr. Newton was 509-375 as a coach at Transylvania University, Alabama and Vanderbilt and worked on several NCAA Division I basketball committees. He also influenced selection of the original U.S. Olympic “Dream Team” in 1992.

As Kentucky’s athletic director, his hiring of eventual Hall of Famer Rick Pitino as men’s basketball coach helped the Wildcats overcome NCAA sanctions to win the 1996 national title.

Excellent first-person monograph from Coach Donovan: http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/...oaching-career

Richard Valeriani, an NBC News correspondent who was a familiar presence on television for more than three decades, covering events like the civil rights movement, John F. Kennedy’s assassination and Henry A. Kissinger’s globe-trotting diplomatic missions, died on Monday at his home in Manhattan. He was 85.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/o...llection=Media

Matt (Guitar) Murphy, a master bluesman who played with Howlin’ Wolf, Etta James, Chuck Berry and Memphis Slim but was best known as a member of the Blues Brothers band, died on Friday in Miami. He was 88.

Charles Krauthammer, 68.

Richard Harrison, known as "The Old Man" on the Pawn Stars television show, has died at 77

Joseph "Joe" Jackson, the patriarch who launched the musical Jackson family dynasty, has died, a source close to the family tells CNN.

He was 89.

Jackson was the father and at times manager to pop stars Michael and Janet Jackson, along with the sibling-singing group, The Jackson 5.

Science Fiction author Harlan Ellison, 84

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

http://www.latimes.com/books/la-et-j...628-story.html
    Last edited by RenoZag; 06-28-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Science Fiction author Harlan Ellison, 84

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
    My favorite. RIP
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

ed schultz

Schultz started his broadcast career in TV and radio in Fargo in the early 1980s, including time as sports director at WDAY.

https://www.wday.com/news/4468792-ed...ality-has-died

RIP Ed. Got a little over the top (even for me!!) a few times, but was a fan. Pretty bright guy.

And 64 is too @#$% young!

Tab Hunter, ‘Damn Yankees’ Star and Gay Icon, Dies at 86

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/t...on-1202868343/
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Lonnie Shelton, starter for Sonics’ 1979 NBA title team, dies at age 62

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...ies-at-age-62/
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Nancy Sinatra, Frank's first wife, age 101.

Cartoonist & writer Steve Ditko, age 90.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.f66250a3032a

Mr. Ditko was an illustrator of remarkable flair whose colorful tales of superhuman characters made him one of the most innovative and revered artists in the world of comics. He also worked in the fantasy and horror genres and created an array of other heroic figures, but he was known above all for creating the lasting visuals of Spider-Man.

Mr. Ditko supplied the illustrations and, eventually, much of the story line of “Spider-Man,” while Lee wrote the dialogue. The comic proved to be so popular that it soon became a separate franchise and ultimately evolved into a daily newspaper comic strip and a series of Hollywood blockbuster films.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Nancy Sinatra, Frank's first wife, age 101.
    Pretty good run.