Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I think when/if Nix/Burrett get close to committing Few will call Suggs and ask him point blank where he is and then move forward if he is undecided. Just a small note here Few new about 2 weeks prior to Strawther committing via Twitter that Strawther was committed to GU. Things like that are normal and I would expect that some sort of call would be made to Suggs before signing one of the other two.
    Honest question regarding the recruiting process - how does that work with Nix/Burnett? Would they already be under the impression that they aren't Few's first choice? I can't imagine Few receiving a call from Nix saying he wants to commit and Few being like "hold on let me just make sure that Suggs doesn't want it first and I'll get back to you".

bring them all in...1a 1b heck 1c...the scholarships will work themselves out...you really need at least 4 guys at minimum anyways avg. 30min per and 5 is ideal for a zag backcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Honest question regarding the recruiting process - how does that work with Nix/Burnett? Would they already be under the impression that they aren't Few's first choice? I can't imagine Few receiving a call from Nix saying he wants to commit and Few being like "hold on let me just make sure that Suggs doesn't want it first and I'll get back to you".
    No it doesn't work that way, our coaches are in contact with these players every single day. They have a feel already on where things will go. If Nix says he is ready to commit then there have been conversations leading up to that day that give the staff the feel it's coming and that is when they talk to Suggs. Many of these players say whatever they want on social media to mislead people in their recruiting process, but when they are talking to coaches, the staff knows where they stand with these guys better than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    bring them all in...1a 1b heck 1c...the scholarships will work themselves out...you really need at least 4 guys at minimum anyways avg. 30min per and 5 is ideal for a zag backcourt.
    All are super talented and scholarships would work themselves out, but we already have Harris/Strawther and if we had 3 more guards that cuts playing time for high rated recruits. Remember our 2019 class is loaded at the 3-5 position, so we are talking two guard positions right here.

So we have not used this a lot, but want to bump it up to the top again for 2020.

With the Powell hiring a name to watch is Nimari Burnett. Great relationship with Powell and we had some initial interest (he had interest back as well).
    I mentioned this a few weeks ago...

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...72316112392192

I mentioned this a few weeks ago...

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...72316112392192
    Nix or Burnett (sp?) If Suggs falls out, is there a preference?

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Nix or Burnett (sp?) If Suggs falls out, is there a preference?
    Sounding more and more like Nix might be a legit option in 2019! Burnett is 2020 and it might not even be Suggs or Burnett, could easily be Suggs and Burnett.

Sounding more and more like Nix might be a legit option in 2019!
    Any more information you can share here?

Sounding more and more like Nix might be a legit option in 2019! Burnett is 2020 and it might not even be Suggs or Burnett, could easily be Suggs and Burnett.
    That haul would be epic!

It's incredible how much GU recruiting has evolved.

Pretty exciting time to be a Zags fan!

Quote Originally Posted by harryzag View Post
    Any more information you can share here?
    Nothing yet, but the rumblings are not quieting down...

EPI Training

@ElitePInstitute
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    Gonzaga University completed in-home visit with Woodward Academy’s 2020 7’0 PF/C Walker Kessler

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    EPI Training

@ElitePInstitute
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    Gonzaga University completed in-home visit with Woodward Academy’s 2020 7’0 PF/C Walker Kessler
    I knew nothing about him, so just watched my first reel of him; very, very impressed. He's very skilled, coordinated, great post moves, shot blocker, passer and shooter. No wonder he's a 5*. He's from the southern Atlanta suburbs abd right now Puke and Georgia are leading, but if you're a high major "big" coming outta high school, how could you not pick Gonzaga? Olynyk, Sabonis, Collins, JWIII and now Rui and Clarke are about to be lottery picks.

EPI Training

@ElitePInstitute
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    Keep an eye on Kessler, him and Burnett are two of Powell's recruits that have great relationships with Powell.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I knew nothing about him, so just watched my first reel of him; very, very impressed. He's very skilled, coordinated, great post moves, shot blocker, passer and shooter. No wonder he's a 5*. He's from the southern Atlanta suburbs abd right now Puke and Georgia are leading, but if you're a high major "big" coming outta high school, how could you not pick Gonzaga? Olynyk, Sabonis, Collins, JWIII and now Rui and Clarke are about to be lottery picks.

Clark wasn’t on any mock drafts prior to this year. Now he’s a projected lottery pick. Rui may very well join him there.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Clark wasn’t on any mock drafts prior to this year. Now he’s a projected lottery pick. Rui may very well join him there.
    Huh? I was listing all of the "bigs" that we're putting into the NBA. I read the Duke board last night and they think he's a lock for them, they're already adding him to their roster.

K already keeping busy
    Went to see Jaylen Johnson in home yesterday.
    Going to see Caleb Love today.
    I think we get Johnson, Hampton (if he doesnt reclassify), Kessler, and maybe Boston next year. Other targets are Love and Roach. We need to target more bigs because we literally have 0 once Carey leaves.

Johnson, Boston and Kessler are the three I feel best about. I advocated for pursuing another lower ranked big this year because I'd like to have one with some experience next year. If Hurt is one and done, we're going to be scrambling there.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/B...ass-131437884/

That would stink if we lost Suggs and Kessler to Puke, but not sure how much of a priority bigs are with Timme, Ballo, Petrusev and Pavel. Even if Filip leaves after this season, we still have an embarrassment of riches at the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Huh? I was listing all of the "bigs" that we're putting into the NBA. I read the Duke board last night and they think he's a lock for them, they're already adding him to their roster.

K already keeping busy
    Went to see Jaylen Johnson in home yesterday.
    Going to see Caleb Love today.
    I think we get Johnson, Hampton (if he doesnt reclassify), Kessler, and maybe Boston next year. Other targets are Love and Roach. We need to target more bigs because we literally have 0 once Carey leaves.

Johnson, Boston and Kessler are the three I feel best about. I advocated for pursuing another lower ranked big this year because I'd like to have one with some experience next year. If Hurt is one and done, we're going to be scrambling there.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/B...ass-131437884/

That would stink if we lost Suggs and Kessler to Puke, but not sure how much of a priority bigs are with Timme, Ballo, Petrusev and Pavel. Even if Filip leaves after this season, we still have an embarrassment of riches at the 5.
    I was supporting your conclusion (e.g. taking a non-mock draft player to the lottery over the course of 1 year supports GU as an ideal place to get both exposure AND develop).

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I was supporting your conclusion (e.g. taking a non-mock draft player to the lottery over the course of 1 year supports GU as an ideal place to get both exposure AND develop).
    Ah...sorry.

Battle at the top intensifies in updated Top247 for 2020

"•After signing four top-50 recruits last year, Gonzaga is off to a quick start in 2020. Mark Few's Bulldogs currently sit at No. 1 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings, as they're the only program that currently has a pair of top-75 pledges. Dominick Harris checks in at No. 55 while Julian Strawther ranks No. 62 overall."

https://247sports.com/Article/Colleg...ham-132612303/

Ten schools off to a fast start in the class of 2020

#3 Gonzaga

Commitments: Dominick Harris (55) and Julian Strawther (62)

Top Targets: Daishen Nix (10), Jalen Suggs (11)

Mark Few and his staff at Gonzaga brought in a huge class in 2019, so numbers could be a bit short in 2020, but already the Bulldogs are off to an impressive start. Gonzaga has already landed a pair of top-75 recruits, and are right there in the mix for another two studs in the backcourt.

Harris is a talented combo guard who can score and is a good athlete. He has had a solid spring, and has shown a good motor to go along with the ability to score from all three levels on the court.

Strawther is a combo forward who is very skilled. Not a super athlete, or extremely long, Strawther shows the ability to shoot and handle, and then also has some ability to score off the drive. In today's day and age of college basketball, Strawther could easily fit in as a small ball power forward who is a mismatch problem.

Where things get really exciting for Gonzaga is with the two prospects they are in high pursuit of. Right now it seems that the Bulldogs are the leader for Suggs, who is one of the most explosive guards in the country. Suggs can play either guard spot, and has elite ability on the court. Already Suggs has made an official visit to Gonzaga, and most feel the Bulldogs are in the best position in his recruitment right now.

Then there is Nix, who is one of the higher upside guards out there. Nix had a big time junior season, and has followed it up with an impressive spring. Maryland is a school very much in the mix with Nix, then other programs along with Gonzaga like UCLA, Washington, Kansas, and UNLV are also right in the mix.

As always, odds are the Bulldogs will become involved with some of the top international prospects in the class, but that will likely happen a bit more down the road."

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery...4/#132599794_1

Battle at the top intensifies in updated Top247 for 2020

"•After signing four top-50 recruits last year, Gonzaga is off to a quick start in 2020. Mark Few's Bulldogs currently sit at No. 1 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings, as they're the only program that currently has a pair of top-75 pledges. Dominick Harris checks in at No. 55 while Julian Strawther ranks No. 62 overall."

https://247sports.com/Article/Colleg...ham-132612303/
    strawther took a pretty big dip in this 247 update...from #36 all the way down to #62...reflection of his less than impressive play lately i guess. harris also dropped, but only by 9 spots from #46 to #55.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    strawther took a pretty big dip in this 247 update...from #36 all the way down to #62...reflection of his less than impressive play lately i guess. harris also dropped, but only by 9 spots from #46 to #55.
    I believe that’s their composite rankings not 247’s.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I believe that’s their composite rankings not 247’s.

Nope I was wrong. It’s kind of crazy to me how bad these scouts are missing on Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Nope I was wrong. It’s kind of crazy to me how bad these scouts are missing on Harris.
    If he picked Duke, he would be much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    If he picked Duke, he would be much higher.
    Uncommitted recruits tend to keep their ranking the same as well.

Default Tristan Maxwell, son of an NBA champion, expanding his game at NC Top 100 camp

"Everybody knows that North Mecklenburg’s Tristan Maxwell can put the ball in the basket. Maxwell was the leading scorer on one of North Carolina’s best teams last season, averaging more than 20 points per game. His father, Vernon Maxwell, was a double-figure NBA scorer in a career that included a world championship in Houston and a stop in Charlotte. So Saturday, at the first N.C. Basketball Coaches Association Top 100 Showcase, Maxwell showed about three dozen Division I coaches that he can also be a playmaker.

Maxwell was one of 120 elite N.C. public school players that came to Davie County High School for a day of instruction, performance measurements, and games. Due to a new NCAA rule change, Division I coaches were allowed to watch high school prospects this month.

“I’ve been trying to get a little play-making in my game,” Maxwell said Saturday after going for six assists in a session. “And I’m trying to play point guard a little bit more. Colleges are talking to me about playing combo guard, being a (shooting guard) and a (point guard), coming off screens and being on the ball.” 247 Sports ranks Maxwell, a 6-foot-2 rising senior, as the No. 9 prospect in the N.C. Class of 2020. He has offers from Gonzaga, N.C. State, Pittsburgh, South Florida, Texas A&M and Winthrop.

North Meck coach Duane Lewis, who attended Saturday’s camp, thinks Maxwell enhanced his reputation with several solid performances not only at Davie County but also at the National Basketball Players Association Top 100 camp earlier this month, where Maxwell played with some of the nation’s best high school talent.

“Tristan’s playing well,” Lewis said, ‘and a lot of coaches are getting to see him play on the ball at point guard. Up there at the NBA camp, he played point some and he’s had a really good spring and summer with Team Charlotte (his Under Armour-sponsored travel team) and at individual camps. His recruitment has amped up a little bit, too.”"

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...231750988.html

Hmmm, could it be that Coach Powell has been active in NC?
    Last edited by SLOZag; 06-23-2019 at 03:57 AM.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy