Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Recruits

Pretty sure he's talking about Kessler.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    My bad, I thought this was the Keeshawn Barthelemy thread.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Kessler is a 1 or 2 and done too. Maybe even 3 and done.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Ok dumb question here: Why does a kid who’s more than likely a 1 and done care so much about academics? I mean so much to pick a school over us who has pretty good academics. Does he plan to go back?
    Great and logical question regarding Kessler. This is/will continue to be a crutch the Zags lean on. What I know (and we all assume) is that Walker wants to be in the NBA and have a long career. Gonzaga produces pro bigs. Period. That’s our track record. So, we won’t downplay our academics but we sell that we are an NBA front court factory.
    On the contrary: Kessler is an academic kid. It is something that is important to him and his family as they are all academic minded. He also views himself as a guy that will probably be in college for at least 2 years before NBA draft. That could change but it is his thought process. So yes, he will finish school at some point.

My pitch to him would be that Coach K uses centers like he did with the Plumlees: rebound, defend, get baskets cleaning up the garbage and via the occasional oop down low. Duke runs offense for power forwards (was Jabari Parker a center or a PF?) and has been a guard-first team. Gonzaga uses centers by involving them in the pick and roll or asking them to seal their guy in the post and go to work. If you are a big man who wants to be part of an offense, you come to GU.
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 07-19-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    My pitch to him would be that Coach K uses centers like he did with the Plumlees: rebound, defend, get baskets cleaning up the garbage and via the occasional oop down. Duke runs offense for power forwards (was Jabari Parker a center or a PF?) and has been a guard-first team. Gonzaga uses centers by involving them in the pick and roll or asking them to seal their guy in the post and go to work. If you are a big man who wants to be part of an offense, you come to GU.
    Well said. In his comments regarding his final 6, my take was GU and NC offered the best offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by ttown0026 View Post
    Well said. In his comments regarding his final 6, my take was GU and NC offered the best offenses.
    I like how he used GU's offense to describe NC's offense

“It’s a little like Gonzaga where it’s a big man’s school,” (talking bout UNC)

My pitch to him would be that Coach K uses centers like he did with the Plumlees: rebound, defend, get baskets cleaning up the garbage and via the occasional oop down low. Duke runs offense for power forwards (was Jabari Parker a center or a PF?) and has been a guard-first team. Gonzaga uses centers by involving them in the pick and roll or asking them to seal their guy in the post and go to work. If you are a big man who wants to be part of an offense, you come to GU.
    Christian Laettner? Jahlil Okafor?

I don't think you can put Coach K's use of centers in a box. It depends on the talent and skill set of his players.

I’ll concede your point on Okafor and Laettner, but there had been a lot of water under the bridge between the two; that’s something like a 25 year span. Okafor seems like an outlier in my recent memory. I’m not saying Duke won’t run it’s offense through a center again, and my main point is that GU has a much better track record, and would pitch it that way.

Dinos Trigonis
    @trigonis30
    ·
    19h
    Colleges watching 2020 Keith Dinwiddie at NCAA Camp/West @ Phx AZ include: Cal, AZ State, Gonzaga, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, San Diego State, Creighton, Fresno State, Utah State, Grand Canyon, Irvine, Pepperdine, BYU, San Diego, Hawaii, Southern Utah, Princeton, Weber State

For anyone in the Southern California area or anyone planning on traveling here during the holidays, the high school where I teach is set to host the premiere high school basketball tournament.

2020 Dominick Harris and Rancho Christian will be there.

2020 Julian Strawther and Liberty HS will be there.

Also Sierra Canyon and some kid named Bronny James. Guess his dad is famous or something

The Classic at Damien

Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    Sep 20
    Gonzaga will have an assistant meet with Top-50 senior Kerwin Walton today, a source told
    @Stockrisers
    . Had a big week with North Carolina offering and meetings with Arkansas, Kansas, Vandy, and Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    Sep 20
    Gonzaga will have an assistant meet with Top-50 senior Kerwin Walton today, a source told
    @Stockrisers
    . Had a big week with North Carolina offering and meetings with Arkansas, Kansas, Vandy, and Minnesota.
    I think we have a few other bigger fish we are looking at for 2020, but I am sure we are going to give a look. I will do some checking.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I think we have a few other bigger fish we are looking at for 2020, but I am sure we are going to give a look. I will do some checking.
    I know Karim Mane from Canada has been talked about on this board. ESPN has him as a first round pick in the 2020 draft. Because hes foreign and already 19 he is eligible for the next draft. He supposedly is still considering college though.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I know Karim Mane from Canada has been talked about on this board. ESPN has him as a first round pick in the 2020 draft. Because hes foreign and already 19 he is eligible for the next draft. He supposedly is still considering college though.
    kentucky is all over him, though they seem to think he will go straight to the draft...

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    kentucky is all over him, though they seem to think he will go straight to the draft...
    Kentucky is, Gonzaga ...

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Kentucky is, Gonzaga ...
    Sorry I am dense. Does this mean "gonzaga is all over him, though they seem to think he will go straight to the draft..."

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    I'm not sure about that.

He had an offer to join the Aussie NBL as part of their Next Stars program that Lamelo Ball, RJ Hampton and others are doing (looks like a great program). But he decided to stay in Quebec for another year. They have a funky high school system that I wont get into. But it is certianly not a high level of basketball. Supposedly he wanted to stay to focus on his schooling. To me that implies he may be going the NCAA route. Otherwise if you wanted to go right to the NBA you;d think he get himself in a better bball situation like the NBL or some high level bball prep school. Perhaps he is just keeping his options open.

Anyways - I am not sold on him as a prospect. He is a physical specimen no doubt with the athleticism to go along with it. But he seems to have pretty choppy bball skills - limited IQ at this point, iffy shooting etc. However I am looking at him more as a NBA prospect and perhaps that doesn't matter as much when looking at him as NCAA player.

I don't buy Givonys first round mock for 2020 - if someone snags him there they will likely regret it as he still needs a ton of work. The NCAA would do him good...the NBL would have been even better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    I'm not sure about that.

He had an offer to join the Aussie NBL as part of their Next Stars program that Lamelo Ball, RJ Hampton and others are doing (looks like a great program). But he decided to stay in Quebec for another year. They have a funky high school system that I wont get into. But it is certianly not a high level of basketball. Supposedly he wanted to stay to focus on his schooling. To me that implies he may be going the NCAA route. Otherwise if you wanted to go right to the NBA you;d think he get himself in a better bball situation like the NBL or some high level bball prep school. Perhaps he is just keeping his options open.

Anyways - I am not sold on him as a prospect. He is a physical specimen no doubt with the athleticism to go along with it. But he seems to have pretty choppy bball skills - limited IQ at this point, iffy shooting etc. However I am looking at him more as a NBA prospect and perhaps that doesn't matter as much when looking at him as NCAA player.

I don't buy Givonys first round mock for 2020 - if someone snags him there they will likely regret it as he still needs a ton of work. The NCAA would do him good...the NBL would have been even better IMO.
    I think I saw his family wanted him to finish school was a big reason he turned down Australia.

I know I spend a ton of time (all of it) on Men's Basketball at GU, but congrats to Lily and GU's Women's Basketball

https://twitter.com/LilyScanlon/stat...75041763627010

I keep waiting to hear about potential international recruits. Seems to be very quiet for the 2020 class (I'm guessing our success stateside for 2020 has something to do with it). At this time last year I think we had Arlauskas and Zakharov (US high school though) committed, and knew we had a good chance with Ballo.

Quote Originally Posted by RockandRollJames View Post
    I keep waiting to hear about potential international recruits. Seems to be very quiet for the 2020 class (I'm guessing our success stateside for 2020 has something to do with it). At this time last year I think we had Arlauskas and Zakharov (US high school though) committed, and knew we had a good chance with Ballo.
    At this point I do not see an international recruit coming to GU for 2020, but that all can change in a matter of minutes.

I want the next great French player. We’ve had a lot of luck with those.

I want the next great French player. We’ve had a lot of luck with those.
    And Polish players!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Canooks!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.