Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 326 to 348 of 348

Thread: 2020 Recruits

  1. #326
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    If I wanted to go to GU, I'd be very closely watching the roster fill up, new offers being extended, and consider the potential for scholarships to disappear. I'd be getting very nervous about further delaying my commitment to GU. I really hope we get Suggs, but as several posted before, we can' wait forever. I can't imagine the pressure these kids feel, but I also can't imagine why this is such a hard decision and why it takes so long. The only reason I see for waiting to make a verbal is if there are options he prefers that have not yet been presented to him. In that case, we aren't his first choice or he would have already verbally committed. Sure, I would be happy to get him even if he is just "settling" for GU. A player of his caliber is probably going to get his first choice, .........unless he waits too long. Maybe all of his top choices get filled, and GU is still waiting with open arms?? Maybe he has already made a verbal to GU and we just don't know about it?? I hate waiting and not knowing anything. I should do what Caldwell does, go fishing. And when I get home, maybe there will be good news, any news. Yup, that's what I'll do.

    Nobody needs 13 players. Eight or 9 is all you're going to play, so eleven or so is enough to have backups for injuries etc. Everybody except maybe Duke and Ky will hold a spot for a top 10 type player and it's not a big deal if one spot goes unfilled for a season. I don't think Suggs needs to worry about committing early because he's afraid the Zags won't hold a scholly for him.

  2. #327
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Why is there so much concern over Jazz's comments? He is a Zag fan but also from the East Coast with traditional East Coast cynicism... I smile at most of his comments and think to myself it's just Jazz being Jazz... he is here because he loves the Zags, he is not an Alum.... he loves basketball and the Zags in that order... the Zags are his Team just as they are mine and the majority of fans here on this board... he's just a glass half empty guy... it's all a matter of perspective...

    Just my opinion...

    Go!! Zags!!!
    Smart man. Thanks Blah and to Mark and Bogo as well. Look, I’m just reading between the lines of the disparate and far flung reports on L’affair Suggs. He seems to be slip, sliding away. A la Jordan Farmar in a previous generation.

  3. #328
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    Are we sure this is even a legit offer...It’s not being mentioned much on Twitter beyond his AAU programs account.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok dumb question here: Why does a kid who’s more than likely a 1 and done care so much about academics? I mean so much to pick a school over us who has pretty good academics. Does he plan to go back?

  4. #329
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,384

    Default

    Pretty sure he's talking about Kessler.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  5. #330
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Pretty sure he's talking about Kessler.
    My bad, I thought this was the Keeshawn Barthelemy thread.

  6. #331
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Pretty sure he's talking about Kessler.
    Kessler is a 1 or 2 and done too. Maybe even 3 and done.

  7. #332
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Ok dumb question here: Why does a kid who’s more than likely a 1 and done care so much about academics? I mean so much to pick a school over us who has pretty good academics. Does he plan to go back?
    Great and logical question regarding Kessler. This is/will continue to be a crutch the Zags lean on. What I know (and we all assume) is that Walker wants to be in the NBA and have a long career. Gonzaga produces pro bigs. Period. That’s our track record. So, we won’t downplay our academics but we sell that we are an NBA front court factory.
    On the contrary: Kessler is an academic kid. It is something that is important to him and his family as they are all academic minded. He also views himself as a guy that will probably be in college for at least 2 years before NBA draft. That could change but it is his thought process. So yes, he will finish school at some point.

  8. #333
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,381

    Default

    My pitch to him would be that Coach K uses centers like he did with the Plumlees: rebound, defend, get baskets cleaning up the garbage and via the occasional oop down low. Duke runs offense for power forwards (was Jabari Parker a center or a PF?) and has been a guard-first team. Gonzaga uses centers by involving them in the pick and roll or asking them to seal their guy in the post and go to work. If you are a big man who wants to be part of an offense, you come to GU.
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 07-19-2019 at 12:30 PM.

  9. #334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    My pitch to him would be that Coach K uses centers like he did with the Plumlees: rebound, defend, get baskets cleaning up the garbage and via the occasional oop down. Duke runs offense for power forwards (was Jabari Parker a center or a PF?) and has been a guard-first team. Gonzaga uses centers by involving them in the pick and roll or asking them to seal their guy in the post and go to work. If you are a big man who wants to be part of an offense, you come to GU.
    Well said. In his comments regarding his final 6, my take was GU and NC offered the best offenses.

  10. #335
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ttown0026 View Post
    Well said. In his comments regarding his final 6, my take was GU and NC offered the best offenses.
    I like how he used GU's offense to describe NC's offense

    “It’s a little like Gonzaga where it’s a big man’s school,” (talking bout UNC)

  11. #336
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    My pitch to him would be that Coach K uses centers like he did with the Plumlees: rebound, defend, get baskets cleaning up the garbage and via the occasional oop down low. Duke runs offense for power forwards (was Jabari Parker a center or a PF?) and has been a guard-first team. Gonzaga uses centers by involving them in the pick and roll or asking them to seal their guy in the post and go to work. If you are a big man who wants to be part of an offense, you come to GU.
    Christian Laettner? Jahlil Okafor?

    I don't think you can put Coach K's use of centers in a box. It depends on the talent and skill set of his players.

  12. #337
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,381

    Default

    I’ll concede your point on Okafor and Laettner, but there had been a lot of water under the bridge between the two; that’s something like a 25 year span. Okafor seems like an outlier in my recent memory. I’m not saying Duke won’t run it’s offense through a center again, and my main point is that GU has a much better track record, and would pitch it that way.

  13. #338
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,037

    Default

    Dinos Trigonis
    @trigonis30
    ·
    19h
    Colleges watching 2020 Keith Dinwiddie at NCAA Camp/West @ Phx AZ include: Cal, AZ State, Gonzaga, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, San Diego State, Creighton, Fresno State, Utah State, Grand Canyon, Irvine, Pepperdine, BYU, San Diego, Hawaii, Southern Utah, Princeton, Weber State

  14. #339
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    30

    Default

    For anyone in the Southern California area or anyone planning on traveling here during the holidays, the high school where I teach is set to host the premiere high school basketball tournament.

    2020 Dominick Harris and Rancho Christian will be there.

    2020 Julian Strawther and Liberty HS will be there.

    Also Sierra Canyon and some kid named Bronny James. Guess his dad is famous or something

    The Classic at Damien

  15. #340
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,037

    Default

    Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    Sep 20
    Gonzaga will have an assistant meet with Top-50 senior Kerwin Walton today, a source told
    @Stockrisers
    . Had a big week with North Carolina offering and meetings with Arkansas, Kansas, Vandy, and Minnesota.

  16. #341
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    ·
    Sep 20
    Gonzaga will have an assistant meet with Top-50 senior Kerwin Walton today, a source told
    @Stockrisers
    . Had a big week with North Carolina offering and meetings with Arkansas, Kansas, Vandy, and Minnesota.
    I think we have a few other bigger fish we are looking at for 2020, but I am sure we are going to give a look. I will do some checking.

  17. #342
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I think we have a few other bigger fish we are looking at for 2020, but I am sure we are going to give a look. I will do some checking.
    I know Karim Mane from Canada has been talked about on this board. ESPN has him as a first round pick in the 2020 draft. Because hes foreign and already 19 he is eligible for the next draft. He supposedly is still considering college though.

  18. #343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I know Karim Mane from Canada has been talked about on this board. ESPN has him as a first round pick in the 2020 draft. Because hes foreign and already 19 he is eligible for the next draft. He supposedly is still considering college though.
    kentucky is all over him, though they seem to think he will go straight to the draft...

  19. #344
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    kentucky is all over him, though they seem to think he will go straight to the draft...
    Kentucky is, Gonzaga ...

  20. #345
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Kentucky is, Gonzaga ...
    Sorry I am dense. Does this mean "gonzaga is all over him, though they seem to think he will go straight to the draft..."

  21. #346
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    kentucky is all over him, though they seem to think he will go straight to the draft...
    I'm not sure about that.

    He had an offer to join the Aussie NBL as part of their Next Stars program that Lamelo Ball, RJ Hampton and others are doing (looks like a great program). But he decided to stay in Quebec for another year. They have a funky high school system that I wont get into. But it is certianly not a high level of basketball. Supposedly he wanted to stay to focus on his schooling. To me that implies he may be going the NCAA route. Otherwise if you wanted to go right to the NBA you;d think he get himself in a better bball situation like the NBL or some high level bball prep school. Perhaps he is just keeping his options open.

    Anyways - I am not sold on him as a prospect. He is a physical specimen no doubt with the athleticism to go along with it. But he seems to have pretty choppy bball skills - limited IQ at this point, iffy shooting etc. However I am looking at him more as a NBA prospect and perhaps that doesn't matter as much when looking at him as NCAA player.

    I don't buy Givonys first round mock for 2020 - if someone snags him there they will likely regret it as he still needs a ton of work. The NCAA would do him good...the NBL would have been even better IMO.

  22. #347
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    I'm not sure about that.

    He had an offer to join the Aussie NBL as part of their Next Stars program that Lamelo Ball, RJ Hampton and others are doing (looks like a great program). But he decided to stay in Quebec for another year. They have a funky high school system that I wont get into. But it is certianly not a high level of basketball. Supposedly he wanted to stay to focus on his schooling. To me that implies he may be going the NCAA route. Otherwise if you wanted to go right to the NBA you;d think he get himself in a better bball situation like the NBL or some high level bball prep school. Perhaps he is just keeping his options open.

    Anyways - I am not sold on him as a prospect. He is a physical specimen no doubt with the athleticism to go along with it. But he seems to have pretty choppy bball skills - limited IQ at this point, iffy shooting etc. However I am looking at him more as a NBA prospect and perhaps that doesn't matter as much when looking at him as NCAA player.

    I don't buy Givonys first round mock for 2020 - if someone snags him there they will likely regret it as he still needs a ton of work. The NCAA would do him good...the NBL would have been even better IMO.
    I think I saw his family wanted him to finish school was a big reason he turned down Australia.

  23. #348
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    I know I spend a ton of time (all of it) on Men's Basketball at GU, but congrats to Lily and GU's Women's Basketball

    https://twitter.com/LilyScanlon/stat...75041763627010

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •