Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Recruits

Georgetown transfer James Akinjo just verbally committed to Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Good. It won’t make AZ any better. A bit of a ball hog from what I’ve seen.

Marriage made in heaven. If Miller had a system, he wouldn’t fit it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Good. It won’t make AZ any better. A bit of a ball hog from what I’ve seen.
    Georgetown seemed to play better without him. Some reporters that follow the program said he was where the ball would go to die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are big reasons I quit talking about him. Not a fit at GU.

Seems like a bad fit in terms of personality/character and simply a downgrade from other options in terms of playing ability.

I don't think Miller would care about the first issue, and the second issue might be different for a desperate AZ team who will lose Mannion and might not get a healthy Brandon Williams back.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Seems like a bad fit in terms of personality/character and simply a downgrade from other options in terms of playing ability.

I don't think Miller would care about the first issue, and the second issue might be different for a desperate AZ team who will lose Mannion and might not get a healthy Brandon Williams back.
    Miller has bigger fish to worry about. Cheating is apparently perfectly acceptable to the trustees of the University of U of A; losing, that’s another story. Can’t see the blue hairs and the fat cat, snow birds getting excited about the NIT.

They are not going to do anything to those schools like Arizona. If it was Southern Illinois, Evansville, or Santa Clara the ncaa would throw the book at them. The big schools though will skate free, because there is to much money involved. Emmert and his boys at the ncaa headquarters are all about how much money they can make, they could care less about fair enforcement of their rules.

One of GU's best recruiting classes ever: Suggs, Harris, Strawther, with freshman Ballo, who will somehow still be the youngest guy on the team next year, coming off a redshirt year. Hopefully with Kispert, Ayayi, Timme, healthy Watson, Arlauskas and Zakharov with a year under their belts, and possibly Petrusev, that should be a really solid roster. Very young with just 2-3 upper classmen, but extremely talented.

One of the best recruiting classes at GU?? I'd say the best. We may be the new Kentucky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    One of the best recruiting classes at GU?? I'd say the best. We may be the new Kentucky!!!
    I say it has a chance to be, but both 2016 and 2019 were pretty loaded and deep. It takes a few years to really judge these things. Exciting though.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I say it has a chance to be, but both 2016 and 2019 were pretty loaded and deep. It takes a few years to really judge these things. Exciting though.
    2016 still takes the cake. The rank may not have been as high but that's due to the international factor.

Two lottery picks, a guy who would likely be in the NBA (100% drafted) if not for injuries, a fringe NBA player and a guy who would have been a very good college player (& Euro pro) if not for personal/injury issues. That'll be tough to top.

Gonzaga removes Brock Ravet from men's basketball roster

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...nwK0aP5Kh5-EL4

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Gonzaga removes Brock Ravet from men's basketball roster

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...nwK0aP5Kh5-EL4
    Guess that about does it. Not sure everyone walks on egg shells about the kid leaving. Most of us just cared whether he was on the team or not! Wish him the best.

Smile Are we done?

This fan likes that we've plucked three Top-70 recruits from across the USA for 2020 -- California, Nevada, Minnesota. It's pretty awesome, in fact. Pretty historical. Shows how well Gonzaga's perceived by kids all over the country now.

America's Team, however, usually works the international pool too. We've room for another player (maybe two) for 2020. Kind of unusual to not be hearing anything relative to International players for next year. We're so regularly busy in that area.

Anyone know of behind-the-scenes international activity? (I realize that red-shirt Ballo is, in effect, a 2020 international, but his recruitment was last year.)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Still 2 open spots next year...if Joel leaves that leaves us with just 2 guards (and 3 open spots)...anything in the works or going to try and fill holes with Grad. Transfers again?

Agreed that we should be trying to fill 2 more slots for next year still. A lot depends on what happens with our roster over the summer, but think we need to add: (1) a guard for depth (especially if Ayayi leaves early), and (2) another big man. Assuming Petrusev leaves, that means we'll only have Ballo, Timme and Zakharov. That's a good front court by itself assuming Zakharov continues to improve, but we could still use another big man for depth.

A grad transfer seems the likely scenario for the extra big man. We'd need that extra PF/C to play immediately and we have Kaden Perry showing up the following year. A grad transfer big would add seniority/experience to the team and would also help with Ballo's development. If nothing else, I think we'll really need some more depth in the front court.

Quote Originally Posted by dnj116 View Post
    Agreed that we should be trying to fill 2 more slots for next year still. A lot depends on what happens with our roster over the summer, but think we need to add: (1) a guard for depth (especially if Ayayi leaves early), and (2) another big man. Assuming Petrusev leaves, that means we'll only have Ballo, Timme and Zakharov. That's a good front court by itself assuming Zakharov continues to improve, but we could still use another big man for depth.

A grad transfer seems the likely scenario for the extra big man. We'd need that extra PF/C to play immediately and we have Kaden Perry showing up the following year. A grad transfer big would add seniority/experience to the team and would also help with Ballo's development. If nothing else, I think we'll really need some more depth in the front court.
    Dont forget Watson. Like Rui everyone keeps wanting him to be a 3, but most of his minutes come at the 4. He is strong enough and athletic enough and has a quickness advantage over the opponents 4. If hes fully healthy my guess is he starts at the 4 like he did at the beginning of the year when Tillie was out.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Dont forget Watson. Like Rui everyone keeps wanting him to be a 3, but most of his minutes come at the 4. He is strong enough and athletic enough and has a quickness advantage over the opponents 4. If hes fully healthy my guess is he starts at the 4 like he did at the beginning of the year when Tillie was out.
    I think this is correct. He might have a few minutes at the 3, but I think it's mostly the 4.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I'm really surprised that there is not more concern for next year when it comes to guards...even most of our 2021 recruits are big's. Maybe I'm a worry wart but if the worst case happens...Suggs goes overseas and Joel opts for the NBA...that leaves us with 1 guard for 2020. I have to think there is a back up plan or something in the works. Any news worth sharing from you insider fellows?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    I'm really surprised that there is not more concern for next year when it comes to guards...even most of our 2021 recruits are big's. Maybe I'm a worry wart but if the worst case happens...Suggs goes overseas and Joel opts for the NBA...that leaves us with 1 guard for 2020. I have to think there is a back up plan or something in the works. Any news worth sharing from you insider fellows?
    We basically entered this season with no established guards and picked up two transfer seniors that for the most part have been successful thus far. I'd imagine in your scenario we look to do the same.

Strawther, Suggs, and Harris all nominated to Mickey D AA Game consideration:

https://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com...inees_List.pdf

Not too hard to make the top 900 players nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Not too hard to make the top 900 players nominated.
    There were approximately 540,000 boys playing US high school basketball in the 2018-19 season. Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ol-basketball/

Top 900 out of 540,000 is roughly 2/10th's of 1%. Your position is it's not too hard to reach that plateau ?

Not if you're already top 70, which all 3 of them are.