• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Not safe to say. Tommy has said his recruitment is wide open. They want him to experience and enjoy the recruiting process.
    C'mon man. What do you want Tommy to say, " I won't let my son talk to any other schools I'm forcing him to be a zag"? Of course he's going to say that. But at the end of the day the kid will be a Zag.

Comment

• cggonzaga
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
      C'mon man. What do you want Tommy to say, " I won't let my son talk to any other schools I'm forcing him to be a zag"? Of course he's going to say that. But at the end of the day the kid will be a Zag.
      1) Liam is not GU good yet. 2) Tommy is not just saying this because it’s a foregone conclusion. 3) The decision is completely Liam’s at the end of the day 4) Just because he would be eligible for free tuition doesn’t mean he wouldn’t take a scholarship. These kids work very hard to attain scholarships and they are a big deal when they’re earned.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
        Banned
        • Feb 2007

1) Liam is not GU good yet. 2) Tommy is not just saying this because it’s a foregone conclusion. 3) The decision is completely Liam’s at the end of the day 4) Just because he would be eligible for free tuition doesn’t mean he wouldn’t take a scholarship. These kids work very hard to attain scholarships and they are a big deal when they’re earned.
        Yeah, but why waste a schollie? Can't he attend school for free since his father is an employee?

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
          Yeah, I'd love to see this happen, but I don't think it's that simple.
          Why not?

Comment

• LTownZag
            Banned
            • Mar 2017

A student & athlete like Liam might be in the 99th percentile of athletic potential compared to the general population, but maybe you now really need to be in the 99.9th to see major minutes for a top-10 national basketball powerhouse. The difference between those two percentiles is 1in100!

Maybe he'll come to GU and be a great starter, maybe he'll come to GU and be a role player in spot minutes, but perhaps he wants to live, study, and play basketball somewhere other than Spokane and for someone other than his dad. It is no kind of mark against Liam, Tommy Lloyd, or GU if he chooses to enroll at a college where (among other differences from GU) Liam could start from day 1 or have a more realistic chance of starting for at least a couple years.

I know at 18yrs old that I wouldn't have wanted to play a sport for my dad and have my first few adult years take place in the city I grew up in.

Comment

• cggonzaga
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Yeah, but why waste a schollie? Can't he attend school for free since his father is an employee?
              He can but I’m afraid you’re missing the point.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                Banned
                • Feb 2007

He can but I’m afraid you’re missing the point.
                I'm not "missing it", I simply don't buy it.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

I'm not "missing it", I simply don't buy it.
                  Which is why you don’t understand.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2007

Which is why you don’t understand.
                    ha! ok

Comment

• bigblahla
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

ha! ok
                      IMO spy, Liam is a walk-on caliber player at best at Gonzaga, I have watched many of his games... there are other places he would start or get more minutes of PT.... the difference between 99. and 99.9 is a good analogy.... I'm not sure his career at GU would be better than Jack Beach's... but again...

Just my opinion...

Go! Zags!!!
                      "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post
                        IMO spy, Liam is a walk-on caliber player at best at Gonzaga, I have watched many of his games... there are other places he would start or get more minutes of PT.... the difference between 99. and 99.9 is a good analogy.... I'm not sure his career at GU would be better than Jack Beach's... but again...

Just my opinion...

Go! Zags!!!
                        Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think he'll be a star or anything, but I think that he can carve out a nice "Dranginis" type career for himself at GU. To think that a kid who literally grew up with a top 10 program would not play for them for the possibility of more minutes at an inferior program is hard for me to fathom, but who knows? LL still has 2 more seasons and he's becoming a stud, so where he winds up as a senior should be interesting, but my money is on the fact that he'll play for the team that he literally grew up with.

Comment

• webspinnre
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think he'll be a star or anything, but I think that he can carve out a nice "Dranginis" type career for himself at GU. To think that a kid who literally grew up with a top 10 program would not play for them for the possibility of more minutes at an inferior program is hard for me to fathom, but who knows? LL still has 2 more seasons and he's becoming a stud, so where he winds up as a senior should be interesting, but my money is on the fact that he'll play for the team that he literally grew up with.
                          I think it will depend on how much playing time he thinks he can get. The vast majority of kids want to play, and will choose a program where they'll get that opportunity.
                          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

depends on his personal goals...i've personally encouraged fringe pro players to choose academics...for example, stanford would still be an excellent bball program, but a guy like tommy's kid could potentially get more playing time and an elite education at the same time.

Comment

• caldwellzag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2018

I am throwing this name out there, but I have not heard the name from any of my people and honestly not sure how interested we are at this point. I will do some digging on this, as he is only a 3 star big.

Comment

• caldwellzag
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
                                I am throwing this name out there, but I have not heard the name from any of my people and honestly not sure how interested we are at this point. I will do some digging on this, as he is only a 3 star big.

https://twitter.com/shon12_/status/1107784028822749185
                                Sent a text with ??? after that tweet and the response was pretty priceless. I would say we did some initial scouting and that's it on Shon, the interest is more from his side as of now.

Comment

Working...
                                X