It's time for conference play to start. What do you think the Zags so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

It's time for conference play to start. What do you think the Zags so far?

The OOC play has ended, and it's time to begin thinking about a new beginning, conference play. It all begins Thursday and we have two games this week. The beauty of OOC play is that it gives us a pretty good look at our team. For me, the Zags are no where near the kind of team that I thought they'd be. It's been a roller coaster ride so far. AND honestly, I haven't enjoyed it very much. The team has been a big disappointment.

The losses have hurt, but it's been the kind of sloppy and listless play that has bothered me the most. There is a lack of confidence on this team that I haven't seen in any of the Zag teams in the past. There is also a lack of leadership that goes right along with lack of confidence. There isn't any. There has been one or two players, however who have stepped up to the plate big time, and that's Mr Norvell and Mr Larsen. Norvell has been very impressive, and I have really enjoyed watching him play. He is the one player who has that "refuse to lose" attitude. I feel just about the same kind of feelings for Mr Larsen. The only difference is that Few hasn't given him a chance. But I really do like watching him play. I also enjoyed watching Kispert when he was playing. He seems to have lost something since he's come back from his injury. I hope he finds it again.

JWIII, Perkins, Melson and Tillie have all been disappointments for me. These are the four returning players from last year's play, and two of them were starters. I thought they'd be much better this year than they have shown. The good news is that this team has a lot of time to get it together. I think most Gonzaga fans have believed that Mark Few doesn't need to rebuild his teams because he has so much talent waiting in the wings. He just needs to reload. This may be the first team in a long while that he needs to rebuild. There are so many characteristics that I see that do not look like Gonzaga basketball, as I have come to know it under Mark Few.

I think this is a special year. Special because honestly it's not what I expected. And that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just different. So far the journey has been rocky, but there's a long ways to go.

Go Zags. Good luck in conference play.

Zag up.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • bartruff1
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

I think it is going to be a lot of fun....I expect the games will be more competitive but that Gonzaga will win the Conference with somewhere around 3 losses..... as the freshman learn to play the Few way.... the Gales are the Gaels but BYU has a different look and is playing some defense....games on the road are always tough to win but the Zags will probably hold serve at home...

Hopefully by the time the WCC Tournament rolls around everyone will be healthy and will know the offense and defense and be eager to win the automatic bid......but, in any case, I expect they will go to the NCAA...

Comment

• webspinnre
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

The team seems to me to be right about where I thought they'd be. They're very talented and very inconsistent. Based on current play I'd say they probably finish with 5 losses or so, and have a decent shot to make the second weekend.
      I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

This team has shown flashes of greatness, and they have shown inconsistencies.

The most important thing, every year, is conference play. Do well there, and you get in the dance.

The debacle that was SDSU came at a perfect time. They have been shown that no matter how much better you may be, if you don't play better, you will lose. Now they have had a week to allow that message to marinate, to really sok in.

I think the Zags will be ready for the Conference.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• JAGzag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

This team could just as easily sweep league play as end up with 3-4 more losses. Lack of a star point wont hurt as much in league play but as the season wears on Perkins will wear down. Really wish Wade wasn’t injured.

Comment

• Zagger
            Banned
            • Mar 2008

The team will adjust and play well ..... it’s what Zag teams do.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Thanks for this thread Reborn. I agree w you that this year’s team is not so much of a “reloaded” Zags’ squad as has become customary. It has nothing to do with less talent, imho, it’s like this team just has no clear cut identity.

A team that knows how to assert its will at critical junctures of a game by running decisive offensive sets that get your go-to player(s) great looks from scoring positions they’re comfortable in. A team that attacks its opponent defensively.

I think the coaches need to re-think what this team’s identity is. JWIII and Tillie are not low post players and don’t look comfortable there. I’d like to see Larsen start alongside JWIII; Tillie becomes spark off the bench. Maybe let Tillie and Rui sub in together for Larsen and Norvell and immediately up the pace of play by pressing?
              Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• 75Zag
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

I dread the WCC regular season because for me it is about as exciting as the NBA regular season where nobody cares who wins or loses until the playoffs begin. Hoping GU solves its issues in the next 8 weeks and is ready to go in Las Vegas.

Go Bulldogs!
                Do not go gentle into that good night,
                Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2009

Zags looked better in the PK80 and have digressed since. Kispert was at full tilt then and the loss of him at full strength has hurt. As mentioned J3, Tillie and Perks aren't carrying the load at this time. We always hope "they learned something" after each stinker. Add MF to that list. All we have is hope that the ship gets right and soon.
                  One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                    Thanks for this thread Reborn. I agree w you that this year’s team is not so much of a “reloaded” Zags’ squad as has become customary. It has nothing to do with less talent, imho, it’s like this team just has no clear cut identity.

A team that knows how to assert its will at critical junctures of a game by running decisive offensive sets that get your go-to player(s) great looks from scoring positions they’re comfortable in. A team that attacks its opponent defensively.

I think the coaches need to re-think what this team’s identity is. JWIII and Tillie are not low post players and don’t look comfortable there. I’d like to see Larsen start alongside JWIII; Tillie becomes spark off the bench. Maybe let Tillie and Rui sub in together for Larsen and Norvell and immediately up the pace of play by pressing?
                    J3 has demonstrated an ability to assert his will during a game, but there are two deficiencies in his game that hinder him: poor FT shooting and ball handling. The latter shouldn’t be an issue against most WCC foes.

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                      J3 has demonstrated an ability to assert his will during a game, but there are two deficiencies in his game that hinder him: poor FT shooting and ball handling. The latter shouldn’t be an issue against most WCC foes.
                      JW3 has played really well at times. His problem is consistency, and staying out of foul trouble, and as you say, turnovers. Conference play is NEVER EASY. That's a fact. As soon as anyone doesn't believe it tough, there will be a loss. We saw how North Dakota and IUPUI played against us. The Zags this year so far, do not know how to come out and crush teams, and this will lead to a loss or two. Will be playing like Gonzaga by March? That's what this year is going to be about. It'll be interesting for sure. Hope to see Wade play.
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• GeorgiaZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2007

...I believe if they can fix the turnover problem they have all the pieces to do well into March....if they can't, they are liable to lose 3 or 4 games in conference this year...
                        It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

inconsistent...you can say they played better in the pk80, but those were also teams willing to run up and down the court with the zags, just like creighton/huskies.
                          this version of the zags will look good anytime a team wants to run with them...they'll struggle in grind it out games, so i think there will be some wcc losses.
                          if zags turn it over against smc they will lose...just not enough possessions against the gaels to turn it over 15+ times.
                          byu is supposedly playing some "d" for once, but i'll believe it when i see it...if byu runs with the zags, they'll lose by double digits.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
                            I dread the WCC regular season because for me it is about as exciting as the NBA regular season where nobody cares who wins or loses until the playoffs begin. Hoping GU solves its issues in the next 8 weeks and is ready to go in Las Vegas.

Go Bulldogs!
                            Perfectly put.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Spoiled fan base. Many seemed to have forgotten where we came from. Not every GU team will be national championship contender. This team may not be that but a team that loses 5-6 games tops is still very good especially considering OOC schedule they’ve played. Normally a GU team with wins over OSU, Texas and Creighton would be celebrated.

It’s all about the journey now and getting better and more consistent. Nobody will want to see this Gonzaga team as a 5-7 seed in their bracket come March.

Comment

Working...
                              X