Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 85

Thread: It's time for conference play to start. What do you think the Zags so far?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,449

    Default It's time for conference play to start. What do you think the Zags so far?

    The OOC play has ended, and it's time to begin thinking about a new beginning, conference play. It all begins Thursday and we have two games this week. The beauty of OOC play is that it gives us a pretty good look at our team. For me, the Zags are no where near the kind of team that I thought they'd be. It's been a roller coaster ride so far. AND honestly, I haven't enjoyed it very much. The team has been a big disappointment.

    The losses have hurt, but it's been the kind of sloppy and listless play that has bothered me the most. There is a lack of confidence on this team that I haven't seen in any of the Zag teams in the past. There is also a lack of leadership that goes right along with lack of confidence. There isn't any. There has been one or two players, however who have stepped up to the plate big time, and that's Mr Norvell and Mr Larsen. Norvell has been very impressive, and I have really enjoyed watching him play. He is the one player who has that "refuse to lose" attitude. I feel just about the same kind of feelings for Mr Larsen. The only difference is that Few hasn't given him a chance. But I really do like watching him play. I also enjoyed watching Kispert when he was playing. He seems to have lost something since he's come back from his injury. I hope he finds it again.

    JWIII, Perkins, Melson and Tillie have all been disappointments for me. These are the four returning players from last year's play, and two of them were starters. I thought they'd be much better this year than they have shown. The good news is that this team has a lot of time to get it together. I think most Gonzaga fans have believed that Mark Few doesn't need to rebuild his teams because he has so much talent waiting in the wings. He just needs to reload. This may be the first team in a long while that he needs to rebuild. There are so many characteristics that I see that do not look like Gonzaga basketball, as I have come to know it under Mark Few.

    I think this is a special year. Special because honestly it's not what I expected. And that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just different. So far the journey has been rocky, but there's a long ways to go.

    Go Zags. Good luck in conference play.

    Zag up.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,344

    Default

    I think it is going to be a lot of fun....I expect the games will be more competitive but that Gonzaga will win the Conference with somewhere around 3 losses..... as the freshman learn to play the Few way.... the Gales are the Gaels but BYU has a different look and is playing some defense....games on the road are always tough to win but the Zags will probably hold serve at home...

    Hopefully by the time the WCC Tournament rolls around everyone will be healthy and will know the offense and defense and be eager to win the automatic bid......but, in any case, I expect they will go to the NCAA...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,534

    Default

    The team seems to me to be right about where I thought they'd be. They're very talented and very inconsistent. Based on current play I'd say they probably finish with 5 losses or so, and have a decent shot to make the second weekend.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,637

    Default

    This team has shown flashes of greatness, and they have shown inconsistencies.

    The most important thing, every year, is conference play. Do well there, and you get in the dance.

    The debacle that was SDSU came at a perfect time. They have been shown that no matter how much better you may be, if you don't play better, you will lose. Now they have had a week to allow that message to marinate, to really sok in.

    I think the Zags will be ready for the Conference.
    It's not funny.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    This team could just as easily sweep league play as end up with 3-4 more losses. Lack of a star point wont hurt as much in league play but as the season wears on Perkins will wear down. Really wish Wade wasn’t injured.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy (20 mi N of GU)
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    The team will adjust and play well ..... it’s what Zag teams do.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,180

    Default

    Thanks for this thread Reborn. I agree w you that this year’s team is not so much of a “reloaded” Zags’ squad as has become customary. It has nothing to do with less talent, imho, it’s like this team just has no clear cut identity.

    A team that knows how to assert its will at critical junctures of a game by running decisive offensive sets that get your go-to player(s) great looks from scoring positions they’re comfortable in. A team that attacks its opponent defensively.

    I think the coaches need to re-think what this team’s identity is. JWIII and Tillie are not low post players and don’t look comfortable there. I’d like to see Larsen start alongside JWIII; Tillie becomes spark off the bench. Maybe let Tillie and Rui sub in together for Larsen and Norvell and immediately up the pace of play by pressing?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    I dread the WCC regular season because for me it is about as exciting as the NBA regular season where nobody cares who wins or loses until the playoffs begin. Hoping GU solves its issues in the next 8 weeks and is ready to go in Las Vegas.

    Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Spokane / Goodyear, AZ
    Posts
    2,015

    Default

    Zags looked better in the PK80 and have digressed since. Kispert was at full tilt then and the loss of him at full strength has hurt. As mentioned J3, Tillie and Perks aren't carrying the load at this time. We always hope "they learned something" after each stinker. Add MF to that list. All we have is hope that the ship gets right and soon.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Thanks for this thread Reborn. I agree w you that this year’s team is not so much of a “reloaded” Zags’ squad as has become customary. It has nothing to do with less talent, imho, it’s like this team just has no clear cut identity.

    A team that knows how to assert its will at critical junctures of a game by running decisive offensive sets that get your go-to player(s) great looks from scoring positions they’re comfortable in. A team that attacks its opponent defensively.

    I think the coaches need to re-think what this team’s identity is. JWIII and Tillie are not low post players and don’t look comfortable there. I’d like to see Larsen start alongside JWIII; Tillie becomes spark off the bench. Maybe let Tillie and Rui sub in together for Larsen and Norvell and immediately up the pace of play by pressing?
    J3 has demonstrated an ability to assert his will during a game, but there are two deficiencies in his game that hinder him: poor FT shooting and ball handling. The latter shouldn’t be an issue against most WCC foes.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    J3 has demonstrated an ability to assert his will during a game, but there are two deficiencies in his game that hinder him: poor FT shooting and ball handling. The latter shouldn’t be an issue against most WCC foes.
    JW3 has played really well at times. His problem is consistency, and staying out of foul trouble, and as you say, turnovers. Conference play is NEVER EASY. That's a fact. As soon as anyone doesn't believe it tough, there will be a loss. We saw how North Dakota and IUPUI played against us. The Zags this year so far, do not know how to come out and crush teams, and this will lead to a loss or two. Will be playing like Gonzaga by March? That's what this year is going to be about. It'll be interesting for sure. Hope to see Wade play.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    ...I believe if they can fix the turnover problem they have all the pieces to do well into March....if they can't, they are liable to lose 3 or 4 games in conference this year...
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

  13. #13

    Default

    inconsistent...you can say they played better in the pk80, but those were also teams willing to run up and down the court with the zags, just like creighton/huskies.
    this version of the zags will look good anytime a team wants to run with them...they'll struggle in grind it out games, so i think there will be some wcc losses.
    if zags turn it over against smc they will lose...just not enough possessions against the gaels to turn it over 15+ times.
    byu is supposedly playing some "d" for once, but i'll believe it when i see it...if byu runs with the zags, they'll lose by double digits.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I dread the WCC regular season because for me it is about as exciting as the NBA regular season where nobody cares who wins or loses until the playoffs begin. Hoping GU solves its issues in the next 8 weeks and is ready to go in Las Vegas.

    Go Bulldogs!
    Perfectly put.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Spoiled fan base. Many seemed to have forgotten where we came from. Not every GU team will be national championship contender. This team may not be that but a team that loses 5-6 games tops is still very good especially considering OOC schedule they’ve played. Normally a GU team with wins over OSU, Texas and Creighton would be celebrated.

    It’s all about the journey now and getting better and more consistent. Nobody will want to see this Gonzaga team as a 5-7 seed in their bracket come March.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Spoiled fan base. Many seemed to have forgotten where we came from. Not every GU team will be national championship contender. This team may not be that but a team that loses 5-6 games tops is still very good especially considering OOC schedule they’ve played. Normally a GU team with wins over OSU, Texas and Creighton would be celebrated.

    It’s all about the journey now and getting better and more consistent. Nobody will want to see this Gonzaga team as a 5-7 seed in their bracket come March.
    I don't think most quarrel as much about the record as the way the team has performed. Very Un-Zag like. Sloppy, lack of hustle, that sort of stuff.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I don't think most quarrel as much about the record as the way the team has performed. Very Un-Zag like. Sloppy, lack of hustle, that sort of stuff.
    Nails it.


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I don't think most quarrel as much about the record as the way the team has performed. Very Un-Zag like. Sloppy, lack of hustle, that sort of stuff.
    Compared to last year's team, we are really going through some growing pains, situational awareness is lacking. For example, after being called for a moving screen, a light should go on, i.e. make sure feet are set for the rest of the game.

    Man defense from the guards needs to improve, too. Not picking on one individual, but Jeremy let the Aztec he was guarding blow right by him in the last minute or so. They all have to do a better job of staying in front of their man.

    Help defense needs to improve, lack of communication on the court. Points to lack of game experience for those not named Perkins, Melson, or Williams.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    I love the Zags, yet I don't like this team.

    I'm a fan of their respective talents, games, and ability, yet outside Larsen's development, Kispert when healthy, and Rui on occasion, I just don't like tuning into games this season.

    First time in 20+ yrs I've been forgetting, maybe intentionally, and missing games.

    Just not a fun team watch compete this year. It could be the perfect storm, of players playing out of position, veterans incapable of leading, youngsters getting the feet wet, lack of court chemistry/identity, selective motors/heart, list goes on....

    All forgivable and part of being a fan, and I will care and love this team unconditionally, yet just don't like watching them play the game. Not this year. Its has NOTHING to do with results either. We could be 0-12 and I'd still like watching them compete, but not this group.

    I'm a lifelong Buffalo Bill fan, so I know heart break, and I know what its like to be the worst team in sports, and go through rough patches, yet we could be undefeated right now and I'm certain I'd feel the same way. I can't connect with this team, only 1 or 2 players, and this is the first time its happened.

    Even Coach Few looks disinterested in Coaching this team to a certain extent, imho. He even conceded last game and said, "Its our leaders who can't figure it out, so I just have to let them play and hopefully they will stop turning it over, etc".

    I feel the same way as a fan. Just a disappointing team.

    The good news? Maybe they can come around and start playing GONZAGA (NOT AAU) basketball. Its not too late. I'm hopeful, but low expectations from here on out -- have a feeling these guys will be responsible, yes responsible for the end of the streak. There just isn't a want-to on this team. They have moments, sure, but overall no leadership. Not even an Eric McClellan type to snap them out of it. No one guy to stand up in the middle of a lockerroom, yell, cry, plead to get their minds right and hearts. He did that, but that is no where near Perkins, Silas, J3 types. They are all very reserved guys, complimentary pieces for too long, and while they say the right thing in an interview, they are actually very reserved as leaders, actually all 3 are shy kids. They have flair and flash, but not leaders whatsoever. That's why this year feels like an anomaly.

    Kispert is a leader. So is Norvell. They have the traits needed to focus a team/group and rally troops, etc.

    Our current seniors could lead by example but are too inconsistent, not to mention leading the team in TO's.

    I honestly feel Coach Few recognizes this as well, there is only so much he can do this year, as evidenced by his lack of timeouts in critical moments in SDSU. It was senseless, but maybe makes more sense given his current group of "leaders".

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,736

    Default

    Love this team like most others. We are underfeated if we can take care of the ball just slightly better. Perkins is the key at this point without question. We live and die by his play the rest of the way. I would like to see Few lengthen the leash on the bench especially in wins that appear to be in the bag.

    IMO of course.
    Go Zags!!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    7,318

    Default

    Excited for the rest of the season
    Amazed at the naysayers...missed free throw and we have two losses. Shoot average against sdsu and we have single loss

    We are replacing 3 starters and a big time 6 man
    Retooling and changing team concepts takes time especially with a host of newbies
    We lost a starter to injury who is just getting back to 100% and will be a force in league play

    I see growth and improvement as well as an understanding of each other's strengths and weaknesses with a very high ceiling for them to strive for

    Go zags
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Excited for the rest of the season
    Amazed at the naysayers...missed free throw and we have two losses. Shoot average against sdsu and we have single loss

    We are replacing 3 starters and a big time 6 man
    Retooling and changing team concepts takes time especially with a host of newbies
    We lost a starter to injury who is just getting back to 100% and will be a force in league play

    I see growth and improvement as well as an understanding of each other's strengths and weaknesses with a very high ceiling for them to strive for

    Go zags
    Agree hoop. Not the first time this fan base has questioned a team when things aren’t perfect.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Agree hoop. Not the first time this fan base has questioned a team when things aren’t perfect.
    I would say not the first time PART of this fan base has questioned a team when things aren't perfect.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I love the Zags, yet I don't like this team.

    I'm a fan of their respective talents, games, and ability, yet outside Larsen's development, Kispert when healthy, and Rui on occasion, I just don't like tuning into games this season.

    First time in 20+ yrs I've been forgetting, maybe intentionally, and missing games.

    Just not a fun team watch compete this year. It could be the perfect storm, of players playing out of position, veterans incapable of leading, youngsters getting the feet wet, lack of court chemistry/identity, selective motors/heart, list goes on....

    All forgivable and part of being a fan, and I will care and love this team unconditionally, yet just don't like watching them play the game. Not this year. Its has NOTHING to do with results either. We could be 0-12 and I'd still like watching them compete, but not this group.

    I'm a lifelong Buffalo Bill fan, so I know heart break, and I know what its like to be the worst team in sports, and go through rough patches, yet we could be undefeated right now and I'm certain I'd feel the same way. I can't connect with this team, only 1 or 2 players, and this is the first time its happened.

    Even Coach Few looks disinterested in Coaching this team to a certain extent, imho. He even conceded last game and said, "Its our leaders who can't figure it out, so I just have to let them play and hopefully they will stop turning it over, etc".

    I feel the same way as a fan. Just a disappointing team.

    The good news? Maybe they can come around and start playing GONZAGA (NOT AAU) basketball. Its not too late. I'm hopeful, but low expectations from here on out -- have a feeling these guys will be responsible, yes responsible for the end of the streak. There just isn't a want-to on this team. They have moments, sure, but overall no leadership. Not even an Eric McClellan type to snap them out of it. No one guy to stand up in the middle of a lockerroom, yell, cry, plead to get their minds right and hearts. He did that, but that is no where near Perkins, Silas, J3 types. They are all very reserved guys, complimentary pieces for too long, and while they say the right thing in an interview, they are actually very reserved as leaders, actually all 3 are shy kids. They have flair and flash, but not leaders whatsoever. That's why this year feels like an anomaly.

    Kispert is a leader. So is Norvell. They have the traits needed to focus a team/group and rally troops, etc.

    Our current seniors could lead by example but are too inconsistent, not to mention leading the team in TO's.

    I honestly feel Coach Few recognizes this as well, there is only so much he can do this year, as evidenced by his lack of timeouts in critical moments in SDSU. It was senseless, but maybe makes more sense given his current group of "leaders".
    This is a stunning post. Congrats. Wow!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I would say not the first time PART of this fan base has questioned a team when things aren't perfect.
    True.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •