We didn't want the guy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    San Diego 69
    Colorado 59

No. Dakota 63
    So. Dakota St. 99

Michigan 59
    Texas 52
    Great win by USD!! Colorado was 7-2 going in to the game. They've been a wonderful surprise!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    San Diego 69
    Colorado 59

No. Dakota 63
    So. Dakota St. 99

Michigan 59
    Texas 52
    texas was without their best player...the guy who hit the 3 to put the game into ot vs the zags...fractured hand

Is Shaka still a genius?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Is Shaka still a genius?
    Does make one wonder. From all accounts solid coach who was able max out the talent he could get at VCU. Now he is getting big time recruits and the baggage that comes with them. It shows that it takes more than coaching to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Does make one wonder. From all accounts solid coach who was able max out the talent he could get at VCU. Now he is getting big time recruits and the baggage that comes with them. It shows that it takes more than coaching to be successful.
    maybe he needs to go back to HAVOC in order to be successful...

To be fair, Texas is missing their leading scorer and 2nd best recruit due to recent injury.

He also scored 18 vs GU, and really the only impactful player.

From what I've seen of Texas (handful of games), they should try and press for 40 mins.

When they press with their length and athleticism, they dominate.

They did that vs Duke, Gonzaga, & even VCU...it worked.

Didn't see it much vs mich.

Their main guard with crazy wingspan is the kid who broke his hand.

San Diego up to this point in the season, has the No.1-ranked 3-point defense in the country per KenPom and has the second best defense in the conference only behind a team that has GONZAGA stitched across the front of their jerseys. I say San Diego plays spoiler this year, if they can get a win in Boulder, CO...they could get a win in Moraga, CA and in years past they have even played spoiler in Provo! They started the year ranked #187 at KenPom...now they are ranked #121 (almost a Top #100 team)....Mark it down - San Diego is the #2 seed going in the WCC Tournament come March! Welcome back to relevancy Toreros!

Thank you for sharing those KP stats, Irish.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

You bet Reno...

I guess the other interesting stats to run through ones brain are these to date per KenPom:

AdjO Nat Rk AdjD Nat Rk
    Gonzaga 118.2 (8) 95.1 (29)
    Saint Mary's 120.2 (3) 103.5 (166)
    BYU 109.4 (72) 99.8 (88)
    San Diego 101.3 (223) 97.3 (54)
    San Fran 101.3 (222) 101.4 (118)

...that's our top 5 in the conference right now....Saint Mary's can't stop anyone on the defensive end...they shoot the ball well, #11 best effective FG% in the nation, but they just don't play defense...can't create steals/turnovers, and let teams dominate them inside...

Quote Originally Posted by irishzag_09 View Post
    San Diego up to this point in the season, has the No.1-ranked 3-point defense in the country per KenPom and has the second best defense in the conference only behind a team that has GONZAGA stitched across the front of their jerseys. I say San Diego plays spoiler this year, if they can get a win in Boulder, CO...they could get a win in Moraga, CA and in years past they have even played spoiler in Provo! They started the year ranked #187 at KenPom...now they are ranked #121 (almost a Top #100 team)....Mark it down - San Diego is the #2 seed going in the WCC Tournament come March! Welcome back to relevancy Toreros!
    current RPI for Toreros is 56

might as well pump/spin them while we can :-D

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-diego-toreros

The further we get into conference play, the better our numbers will be on KenPom. With GU's great offensive production, our points per possession will rise and the points per possession we allow will fall. The margin between the two will get wider so in January, GU will easily climb into the top eight in KenPom rankings, and stay there. I really think a 2 seed in March is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

They climbed 40 spots after that road win.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5K64VEBE7s

A few highlights from the San Diego-Colorado game with Recap from everyone's non-favorite color commentator..."Ole!"

It's been a long time coming and makes me very happy. Don't think we forgot who coaches as an assistant for Colorado either. I know you all love your GU guys and Bill did give us a tourney win, but it was sweet to beat him last night. He was a terrible recruiter and he left the cabinets absolutely empty.
    Torerograd '10

Comments from Colorado players and coach after the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB5nEkgx13k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCqEc_yqdws

Go to 5:24 on the first link with the players: "I don't think we respected San Diego enough"...

Long time coming indeed! I'm happy USD is back. And I'm happy you guys stuck it to Grier, I agree that he really didn't develop a team while down in San Diego. Hopefully soon the rest of the teams in conference can get some HUGE road wins like this...then maybe my wish for a PAC-12-WCC Challenge like the BigTen-ACC Challenge can become reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

I watched the CU/USD game in person last night and San Diego really defends the perimeter well. They switch on all the ball screens and play the gaps well. Not much dribble penetration or wide open threes. They are not real big though. Gonzaga shouldnt have much of a problem going inside-out for open threes, because they will definitively have to double Gonzagas bigs.
    Offensively they have a pg transfer from Utah (wright) that is a handful and a couple of real versatile 6-8ish kids that can step out a shoot the ball a little bit

Also, CU is really bad this year. Probably finish near the bottom of the Pac12.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    They sure don't play the way they did at VCU, when he had lesser recruits.

Long time coming indeed! I'm happy USD is back. And I'm happy you guys stuck it to Grier, I agree that he really didn't develop a team while down in San Diego. Hopefully soon the rest of the teams in conference can get some HUGE road wins like this...then maybe my wish for a PAC-12-WCC Challenge like the BigTen-ACC Challenge can become reality!
    This USD team is very young and plays Lamont's brand of defense. It's a requirement. I think we'll do pretty well. There were a few big road win streaks they had to break coming into this game as well. They spoiled the party on NMSU and GCU. The scheduling has been perfect this year. I'm not sure they take the CU game without those confidence wins on the road.
    Torerograd '10

Okay...last point I'd like to make for USD - they are 8-2 right now, with what ToreroStudent said, had great scheduling, and beat 3 solid teams on the road...

Here's a look at their upcoming schedule: They have a 4-game home stand vs. North Texas, Life Pacific, then conference play against San Francisco and Pepperdine. They then head to Portland before veering right and swinging back around to head to Moraga, CA. Does San Diego get to 13-2 before walking into McKeon Pavillion to take on the Gaels? It is likely guys, and wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ToreroStudent View Post
    This USD team is very young and plays Lamont's brand of defense. It's a requirement. I think we'll do pretty well. There were a few big road win streaks they had to break coming into this game as well. They spoiled the party on NMSU and GCU. The scheduling has been perfect this year. I'm not sure they take the CU game without those confidence wins on the road.
    That is a very good win against NMSU. The PanAm center is a really tough place to play. Was there several times when I was following UTEP in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    That is a very good win against NMSU. The PanAm center is a really tough place to play. Was there several times when I was following UTEP in the 80s.
    that win @NMSU is the best win by a WCC team not named gonzaga. definite props.

Okay...last point I'd like to make for USD - they are 8-2 right now, with what ToreroStudent said, had great scheduling, and beat 3 solid teams on the road...

Here's a look at their upcoming schedule: They have a 4-game home stand vs. North Texas, Life Pacific, then conference play against San Francisco and Pepperdine. They then head to Portland before veering right and swinging back around to head to Moraga, CA. Does San Diego get to 13-2 before walking into McKeon Pavillion to take on the Gaels? It is likely guys, and wouldn't surprise me one bit.
    Don't you dare get my hopes up! We have a great RPI right now and a #2 finish in the WCC...I'm too excited just thinking about it. I'd fly anywhere to relive that UConn experience I had in person!
    Torerograd '10