Thread: Article speculating on USC going Independent and joining the WCC for all other sports

Default Article speculating on USC going Independent and joining the WCC for all other sports

Here's a wild idea: what if USC left the Pac-12? Let's think through this
    Well, let’s give that a closer look.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/am...mpression=true

No way USC would ever "fit" in the WCC. But starting a new private school league, with schools more committed to athletics might be fun (sort of a Big East "out west"). It would probably need to take from the best of the WCC.

1--USC
    2--Gonzaga
    3--BYU
    4--Stanford (assuming they followed USC, and went Independent for football)
    5--Pepperdine
    6--San Diego
    7--San Francisco
    8--Denver (bigger market)
    9--Seattle (bigger market) or Saint Mary's (better current athletics)

16-game conference schedule.

Seems crazy to me. BYU committed suicide going independent in football. They are completely irrelevant now. Notre Dame is still Notre Dame, but they are a far cry from their glory years. And they have yet to make the four team playoff. If USC is pissed off they got left out of the playoff, I think they'd only be making their situation worse if they went independent. And I know football is king, but USC is competitive in most non revenue sports and there's no better home for them than the Pac 12.

I really, really can't see Stanford joining a weakling conference like that for non revenue sports. They challenge for the Sears Cup every year. They just won women's and men's soccer National Championships and have a chance to add women's volleyball, all in about a 2 week period. They are a school that highly values all of their sports programs. No way they would leave the Pac 12 for a slightly enhanced (barely) WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Seems crazy to me. BYU committed suicide going independent in football. They are completely irrelevant now. Notre Dame is still Notre Dame, but they are a far cry from their glory years. And they have yet to make the four team playoff. If USC is pissed off they got left out of the playoff, I think they'd only be making their situation worse if they went independent. And I know football is king, but USC is competitive in most non revenue sports and there's no better home for them than the Pac 12.

I really, really can't see Stanford joining a weakling conference like that for non revenue sports. They challenge for the Sears Cup every year. They just won women's and men's soccer National Championships and have a chance to add women's volleyball, all in about a 2 week period. They are a school that highly values all of their sports programs. No way they would leave the Pac 12 for a slightly enhanced (barely) WCC.
    BYU has been mostly irrelevant in hoops since joining the WCC, too. They thought they would come in and dominate.

Has Bill Walton been passin' out the windowpane?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Fake news...sad

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Fake news...sad
    Click bait, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    BYU has been mostly irrelevant in hoops since joining the WCC, too. They thought they would come in and dominate.
    What's funny is that they were all obsessed about Gonzaga, but they paid zero attention to St. Mary's. You could argue that SMC has been a bigger nemesis to BYU than the Zags have. Randy Bennett has their number. He's even figured out a way for mouth piece boy to win a game vs. BYU on a 50 foot jumper.