• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basketballzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Seattle PI: "We Need To Talk About Zach Collins"

This is a pretty rough assessment of his Rookie year yet it is spot on.

"I have a crazy prediction, and it’s probably going to trigger a lot of Portland Trail Blazers fans. Barring injury, Zach Collins will never start a single game in a Blazer uniform."

"Collins’s offensive game plan reminds me of a question every guy has asked while watching basketball: “Do you think you could survive in an NBA game for an entire quarter and not embarrass yourself?” He doesn’t have an established offensive skillset or a go-to post move. Instead, Collins frantically runs around the court, sets screens for guards and crashes the boards. The Blazers traded two draft picks for a rover."

"When he tries to post up, he’s easily overpowered by larger, opposing big men, and he struggles to corral rebounds because of his skinny frame. He shot threes well in college (10-21) in a limited sample size, but his shot is merely a science project at this point in his NBA career."
  • Hoopaholic
    • Mar 2008

was sitting 3 rows from court at PK80 and had a group of "adults" sitting behind us. They knew we were rooting for gonzaga and every game zags played they stated so many times "we will trade you Collins for Wiliams "straight up" no questions asked".......got to the point that I turned to them and told them I understood their position now would you please shut up so we can enjoy the game......only to have it happen the next two games again

Clearly portland fans not happy with Zach C
    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Saxon_zag
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

Portland NBA fans have poor bball knowledge. They haven't given Zach a chance since he had a bad first showing in summer league and Swanigan looked better (grown man). Pretty lame the way they have written off a 19 year old rookie

Comment

• gu03alum
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
        was sitting 3 rows from court at PK80 and had a group of "adults" sitting behind us. They knew we were rooting for gonzaga and every game zags played they stated so many times "we will trade you Collins for Wiliams "straight up" no questions asked".......got to the point that I turned to them and told them I understood their position now would you please shut up so we can enjoy the game......only to have it happen the next two games again

Clearly portland fans not happy with Zach C
        I also ran into a lot of Blazers fans who were unhappy with Collins. Every Uber driver, a couple guys at my hotel, a few guys at the bar, etc. It seems like a consensus opinion has been formed that he is not a good fit there.
        Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Personally, I think he'd be putting up similar numbers as Lauri Markkanen if he was given the same opportunity.
          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• seacatfan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
            Personally, I think he'd be putting up similar numbers as Lauri Markkanen if he was given the same opportunity.
            They are completely different players. Always have been and always will be. I really don't think Collins would be best served turning into a volume 3 point shooter like Lauri. Markannen is putting up good numbers for a bad team, it remains to be seen exactly how his career goes, but he's off to a good start for somebody that some experts declared was a reach and a bad draft pick.

Comment

• seacatfan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2014

Ouch, that article is brutal. It does have a clip from Semi Pro, so at least it has that going for it.

The Blazers front court is crowded. Mostly journeymen. Nurkic, Aminu, Davis, Vonleh, Leonard and then the two rookies. Not enough minutes to go around for everybody.

Comment

• zagfan24
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2008

My own belief is that Zach will be fine but he needs time, a lot of added strength, and a coach/system that he can learn and adapt to over 3-4 years. If I recall correctly, he didn't start until his senior year of HS because Zimmerman and Jeter were ahead of him, didn't start at GU, and is getting almost no PT now. He is a lot more skilled than his play right now is showing, but the scattered playing style noted in the OP is symptomatic of limited court time.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                  Ouch, that article is brutal. It does have a clip from Semi Pro, so at least it has that going for it.

The Blazers front court is crowded. Mostly journeymen. Nurkic, Aminu, Davis, Vonleh, Leonard and then the two rookies. Not enough minutes to go around for everybody.
                  Can Portland send him to the G League, strictly to get playing time? That's what he needs.

FWIW, Dirk looked equally lost his rookie season. It takes time for most big men to figure it out, mature, get stronger.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

Myopic fans, I guess. I remember when I was kid and wondering why an offensive lineman would be picked in front of a flashy wide receiver in the draft. Teams have to plan for the long-term. People wanting immediate returns would have known better if they actually saw Collins play last year. He’s talented, no doubt, and has amazing potential but he wasn’t even able to box out against college players at the beginning of the year.

That said, he is going to be better than Greg Oden.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Z needs fresh start elsewhere. Look at the Bonus, he’s thriving in Indiana. Now Collins is not DS, but a change would be beneficial, IMO.

Comment

• seacatfan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                        That said, he is going to be better than Greg Oden.
                        ...and Sam Bowie. But that goes without saying, because those guys were busted up physically before they ever joined the Blazers roster. Coulda had Michael Jordan and Kevin Durant. Two of the worst draft picks ever.

Comment

• bartruff1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

More fake news, sad.....

Comment

• bdmiller7
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2017

Played 25 min last night with 9 pts and 7 reb, 3 blocks the game before. Just needs time. Most people have a rough 1st couple of years in the NBA.

Comment

• Mojo13
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                              Can Portland send him to the G League, strictly to get playing time? That's what he needs.

FWIW, Dirk looked equally lost his rookie season. It takes time for most big men to figure it out, mature, get stronger.
                              Yes this is exactly what the G League is for. He should spend the entire season in the G League as he is not ready for the NBA.

However the Blazer are one of two backwards or cheap or whatever organizations without a G League team.

In this day of age other organizations have no problem putting their first round picks into the G - or even core guys coming back from injury for some conditioning.

The Trail Blazers are one of just three NBA franchises without a G-League team. Here’s how they could benefit from one.

Comment

Working...
                              X