Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seattle PI: "We Need To Talk About Zach Collins"

Default Seattle PI: "We Need To Talk About Zach Collins"

This is a pretty rough assessment of his Rookie year yet it is spot on.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/oregonspor...-zach-collins/

"I have a crazy prediction, and it’s probably going to trigger a lot of Portland Trail Blazers fans. Barring injury, Zach Collins will never start a single game in a Blazer uniform."

"Collins’s offensive game plan reminds me of a question every guy has asked while watching basketball: “Do you think you could survive in an NBA game for an entire quarter and not embarrass yourself?” He doesn’t have an established offensive skillset or a go-to post move. Instead, Collins frantically runs around the court, sets screens for guards and crashes the boards. The Blazers traded two draft picks for a rover."

"When he tries to post up, he’s easily overpowered by larger, opposing big men, and he struggles to corral rebounds because of his skinny frame. He shot threes well in college (10-21) in a limited sample size, but his shot is merely a science project at this point in his NBA career."

was sitting 3 rows from court at PK80 and had a group of "adults" sitting behind us. They knew we were rooting for gonzaga and every game zags played they stated so many times "we will trade you Collins for Wiliams "straight up" no questions asked".......got to the point that I turned to them and told them I understood their position now would you please shut up so we can enjoy the game......only to have it happen the next two games again

Clearly portland fans not happy with Zach C
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Portland NBA fans have poor bball knowledge. They haven't given Zach a chance since he had a bad first showing in summer league and Swanigan looked better (grown man). Pretty lame the way they have written off a 19 year old rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    was sitting 3 rows from court at PK80 and had a group of "adults" sitting behind us. They knew we were rooting for gonzaga and every game zags played they stated so many times "we will trade you Collins for Wiliams "straight up" no questions asked".......got to the point that I turned to them and told them I understood their position now would you please shut up so we can enjoy the game......only to have it happen the next two games again

Clearly portland fans not happy with Zach C
    I also ran into a lot of Blazers fans who were unhappy with Collins. Every Uber driver, a couple guys at my hotel, a few guys at the bar, etc. It seems like a consensus opinion has been formed that he is not a good fit there.
    Bring back the OCC

Personally, I think he'd be putting up similar numbers as Lauri Markkanen if he was given the same opportunity.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Personally, I think he'd be putting up similar numbers as Lauri Markkanen if he was given the same opportunity.
    They are completely different players. Always have been and always will be. I really don't think Collins would be best served turning into a volume 3 point shooter like Lauri. Markannen is putting up good numbers for a bad team, it remains to be seen exactly how his career goes, but he's off to a good start for somebody that some experts declared was a reach and a bad draft pick.

Ouch, that article is brutal. It does have a clip from Semi Pro, so at least it has that going for it.

The Blazers front court is crowded. Mostly journeymen. Nurkic, Aminu, Davis, Vonleh, Leonard and then the two rookies. Not enough minutes to go around for everybody.

My own belief is that Zach will be fine but he needs time, a lot of added strength, and a coach/system that he can learn and adapt to over 3-4 years. If I recall correctly, he didn't start until his senior year of HS because Zimmerman and Jeter were ahead of him, didn't start at GU, and is getting almost no PT now. He is a lot more skilled than his play right now is showing, but the scattered playing style noted in the OP is symptomatic of limited court time.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Ouch, that article is brutal. It does have a clip from Semi Pro, so at least it has that going for it.

The Blazers front court is crowded. Mostly journeymen. Nurkic, Aminu, Davis, Vonleh, Leonard and then the two rookies. Not enough minutes to go around for everybody.
    Can Portland send him to the G League, strictly to get playing time? That's what he needs.

FWIW, Dirk looked equally lost his rookie season. It takes time for most big men to figure it out, mature, get stronger.

Myopic fans, I guess. I remember when I was kid and wondering why an offensive lineman would be picked in front of a flashy wide receiver in the draft. Teams have to plan for the long-term. People wanting immediate returns would have known better if they actually saw Collins play last year. He’s talented, no doubt, and has amazing potential but he wasn’t even able to box out against college players at the beginning of the year.

That said, he is going to be better than Greg Oden.

Z needs fresh start elsewhere. Look at the Bonus, he’s thriving in Indiana. Now Collins is not DS, but a change would be beneficial, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    That said, he is going to be better than Greg Oden.
    ...and Sam Bowie. But that goes without saying, because those guys were busted up physically before they ever joined the Blazers roster. Coulda had Michael Jordan and Kevin Durant. Two of the worst draft picks ever.

More fake news, sad.....

Played 25 min last night with 9 pts and 7 reb, 3 blocks the game before. Just needs time. Most people have a rough 1st couple of years in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Can Portland send him to the G League, strictly to get playing time? That's what he needs.

FWIW, Dirk looked equally lost his rookie season. It takes time for most big men to figure it out, mature, get stronger.
    Yes this is exactly what the G League is for. He should spend the entire season in the G League as he is not ready for the NBA.

However the Blazer are one of two backwards or cheap or whatever organizations without a G League team.

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...de-neil-olshey

In this day of age other organizations have no problem putting their first round picks into the G - or even core guys coming back from injury for some conditioning.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/12/...ge-of-g-league

Collins was and is very green. The Blazers knew this going in. I think he'll still be a good player. (adjusting my Zag glasses).
    I would take that bet with the reporter.

I watched the game last night, he got pushed around a bit by David West but most of the league does. Had a nice looking jumper and rebounded the hell out of the ball. He will be fine once he gets more consistent minutes, which will be soon I think.

Trade him to the Sixers to back up Embiid. He will thrive with the Sixers.

To all the posters who mocked those of us who said it was in his best interest to stay...

Zach will be fine. The problem is expectations based on where he was picked. He needs time but the skill set is there. Anybody who thinks that he will be done in a couple of years is nuts. Just going to take time. I am surprised they have not sent him down to the G League for nothing more than getting his legs and wind game ready. He will be a monster in a couple of years after he has added some bulk and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    To all the posters who mocked those of us who said it was in his best interest to stay...
    Still mock you! In the Zags best interest, perhaps, but to be paid 3+ MIL/yr is in HIS best interest.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I can not help but wonder at the serendipitous nature of the timing involved with this story showing up in a Seattle online newsrag two days after the Zags took the once again hopeful Huskies out behind the woodshed for an old fashioned butt kickin' ;^)
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Zach is starting against Olynyk tonight. Good luck to both.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    Zach is starting against Olynyk tonight. Good luck to both.
    “Miami's Kelly Olynyk had a slight edge in the matchup of former Gonzaga centers. He had 10 points and six rebounds in 28 minutes, and Portland's Zach Collins had nine points and three rebounds in 21 minutes.” http://www.nba.com/games/20171213/PORMIA#/recap
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

about last night...