Thread: Larsen Story

Default Larsen Story

Gonzaga's Larsen stands tall through tragedy, adversity

"Gonzaga's Jacob Larsen has battled through adversity and dealt with unthinkable tragedy to get to where he is today. Now, as a redshirt freshman, the Zags' Danish big man is seizing his opportunities as he continues to grow in life and basketball."

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/370...gedy-adversity

I did not know he lost his brother. Really nice piece.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I did not know he lost his brother. Really nice piece.
    I recently lost my only/older Brother this September, so this piece was nice to watch. I feel for Jacob. He's doing a tremendous job making the most of his mins. He has been fantastic as essentially a true freshman (out of bball activities for 8 months due to ACL tear).

He shares some moves with Karno, so you can tell he was an observational learner.

I don't even detect an accent, incredibly fluent.

Speaking of Larsen, good news re: last night's injury.

Yes, it was the same surgically repaired knee, yet he was not limping due to landing awkwardly, rather he bumped knees with a UW player. It was sore, but more contusion than internal.

As long as he stays healthy, builds some more strength, this kid has a very bright future here and beyond.

I was glad they had that interview. It's so nice to know more about the players' history and how they arrived at this point of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I recently lost my only/older Brother this September, so this piece was nice to watch. I feel for Jacob. He's doing a tremendous job making the most of his mins. He has been fantastic as essentially a true freshman (out of bball activities for 8 months due to ACL tear).

He shares some moves with Karno, so you can tell he was an observational learner.

I don't even detect an accent, incredibly fluent.

Speaking of Larsen, good news re: last night's injury.

Yes, it was the same surgically repaired knee, yet he was not limping due to landing awkwardly, rather he bumped knees with a UW player. It was sore, but more contusion than internal.

As long as he stays healthy, builds some more strength, this kid has a very bright future here and beyond.
    Very sorry about your loss. That must hurt.

Larsen impresses more and more.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Have a really good feeling about Larsen. Injury derailed his redshirt. What's his wingspan?

I can't watch the video due to ridiculous buffering issues. Any summaries?

Quote Originally Posted by MTZag03 View Post
    I can't watch the video due to ridiculous buffering issues. Any summaries?
    Larsen interview on the Mark Few Show, as well, if you have access to that.

He's a good kid and quickly becoming one of my favorites. A basic summary:
    -Issues with pronouncing his name (Tommy Lloyd somewhat ironically calls his Jacob (hard j) in his portion of the piece.
    -Larsen was disappointed because he was nursing an injury his redshirt year and wasn't able to practice/workout with the team and get better a
    -He came to GU because of their success with Euro big men- not only on the court but also assimilating them into the classwork
    -He lost his older brother (Rasmus?), whom he looked up to and who got him into basketball. His brother died unexpectedly of natural causes and was found in his apartment; he had a promising burgeoning pro career and was called the Danish Nowitski or something like that.

Touching stuff. He now has a band of brothers to bond with. He is developing quickly given the bumpy road and lack of high level experience. I love this guy and my heart goes out to him.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Gonzaga's Larsen stands tall through tragedy, adversity

"Gonzaga's Jacob Larsen has battled through adversity and dealt with unthinkable tragedy to get to where he is today. Now, as a redshirt freshman, the Zags' Danish big man is seizing his opportunities as he continues to grow in life and basketball."

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/370...gedy-adversity
    Thanks for sharing this. It's articles/videos like these shared by Zag fans on this website that I very much appreciate.

It's really hard to watch stuff like that. Glad he's so tough

Yes, thanks so much for sharing. I have been a fan of his from the start. He graciously agreed to a photo with me at in Orlando last year. I have it framed and on display. Go Jacob!

This dude is going to be REALLY good in a year or 2. I totally agree with some of the opinions that I've seen that he's farther along than Karno was his freshman year. Karno ended being such a good player, and was at GU for so long, that it was easy to forget how he started. Larsen has done what he's done with limited practice time coming off an injury, and while still learning the American game. Really excited about this guy.
    Last edited by Gonzagit; 12-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.

I think the dude is going to be really good by the end of this season. He's giving us some really solid minutes right now.

Imagine how good he's going to be next season when he sheds even more of that baby fat. The kid has skill.