Thread: Zags Hold at #12 in Week 6 AP Poll

Default Zags Hold at #12 in Week 6 AP Poll

It seems like the voters placed more emphasis on a great night in Seattle than they did on a really ugly night in NYC. Now they are poised to rise over (hopefully) the rest of the season.

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Couldn't hurt that Villanova is cruising. Also, how the heck is Wichita State #3?

This is IMO a perfect position for this team to be.

They will likely move into a region around "8" as teams start losing in conference, and hopefully we continue to win. Being realistic and hoping that we only suffer one or two (hopefully at most) bumps along the way, hopefully no bad ones, we can hope to fall below and back up to that "8" number the rest of the year.

I think that's a good place for these guys. It rewards their effort/skills, but keeps them from the angry hordes that resent a WCC team in the top 4. If we got a protected "3" seed, I would say that this team is perfectly positioned going into the tourney.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I believe we will move up in the Coaches Poll...maybe one or possibly two spots...depending how far KU and ND move down...don't think we can reach TA&M...

I wanted to add that WSU is playing five P-5 schools and only lost to ND...they have a heck of a team and deserve the high ranking...IMO they will dominate the AAC this season...just really impressed with the way they are playing...

#26 Creighton
    #28 Texas
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Polls are all about not losing.....as usual Gonzaga will move up as Conference play begins....it is important that they win the rest of the non conference schedule..

Nice to see the Zags above Kansas (#13) in AP poll. Arizona State sure zoomed up there. Also nice to see that Villanova is #1. IMHO they deserved it for how bad they made the Zags look in MSG. The Zags are good. I feel it's just going to take the GU guys a bit more time playing together and meeting personal improvement goals to meet up with the likes of Nova again and do well. If that sort of progression takes place there's a good chance GU wins out in the regular season AND earns a solid spot in the top 10 teams by February rankings (although Florida's 3 straight losses starting with Duke may hurt us). I'd be darn happy if the Zags could nail down a #2 or #3 seed come NCAA Tourney time
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

West Virginia had a big jump as well. Florida St., Arizona and Texas Tech are new to the top 25 this week.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    West Virginia had a big jump as well. Florida St., Arizona and Texas Tech are new to the top 25 this week.
    Been a topsy turvy season so far, and we haven't hit conference play yet (with a couple of exceptions).

ETA: Big 12 with 7 teams in the top 30. They're going to wear each other out.

Anyone else notice this?
    The highest ranked team with 2 losses? Gonzaga
    The highest ranked team with 0 losses? Nova
    The highest ranked team with 3 losses? Florida.

The first stat makes me believe that the Zags have almost completely shed their plucky underdog/mid major/overrated label. Definitely a show of respect. I would argue that it is deserved respect, hard earned.
    The second two stats show how tough the losses have been. Villanova is damn good. Florida can beat anyone on their best day.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Anyone else notice this?
    The highest ranked team with 2 losses? Gonzaga
    The highest ranked team with 0 losses? Nova
    The highest ranked team with 3 losses? Florida.

The first stat makes me believe that the Zags have almost completely shed their plucky underdog/mid major/overrated label. Definitely a show of respect. I would argue that it is deserved respect, hard earned.
    The second two stats show how tough the losses have been. Villanova is damn good. Florida can beat anyone on their best day.
    ...and all 3 can lose to anyone on a bad day. BC's win over Duke was their first against a ranked team in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Nice to see the Zags above Kansas (#13) in AP poll. Arizona State sure zoomed up there. Also nice to see that Villanova is #1. IMHO they deserved it for how bad they made the Zags look in MSG. The Zags are good. I feel it's just going to take the GU guys a bit more time playing together and meeting personal improvement goals to meet up with the likes of Nova again and do well. If that sort of progression takes place there's a good chance GU wins out in the regular season AND earns a solid spot in the top 10 teams by February rankings (although Florida's 3 straight losses starting with Duke may hurt us). I'd be darn happy if the Zags could nail down a #2 or #3 seed come NCAA Tourney time
    That can happen as long as we defeat SDSU. Worried about a couple of games in conference. We keep chopping wood, we'll be looking good heading into Las Vegas with 2 losses and a 20+ game winning streak.

Sorry to repeat myself, but I'm really starting to feel sorry for the 6-7 teams in the WCC that we are going to crush. Jack Beach & Co. will be entering some games at the next to last TV timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    ...and all 3 can lose to anyone on a bad day. BC's win over Duke was their first against a ranked team in 3 years.
    Of course. Check out my post in the “honest question” thread.
    I just meant that Nova’s range is good to great, Florida’s is so-so to great. Much wider.

Dare I say, almost too much respect these days?

Nahhh... love it!

I still find it amazing to hear all these recruits talk about Gonzaga, at least the opponents' recruits. Pretty consistent theme,

"yeah, Gonzaga is a good team man, sure I've never see them play a game, but always see them as a high seed in March".

he first stat makes me believe that the Zags have almost completely shed their plucky underdog/mid major/overrated label. Definitely a show of respect. I would argue that it is deserved respect, hard earned.
    In the eyes of Coaches, yes, but not opponents or many recruits to be honest.

All the high ranking kids who choose us have a unique story/connection/luck/background/accident in why they chose Gonzaga. At least the state side kids do.

I'll explain what I mean later...

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Dare I say, almost too much respect these days?

Nahhh... love it!

I still find it amazing to hear all these recruits talk about Gonzaga, at least the opponents' recruits. Pretty consistent theme,

"yeah, Gonzaga is a good team man, sure I've never see them play a game, but always see them as a high seed in March".

In the eyes of Coaches, yes, but not opponents or many recruits to be honest.

All the high ranking kids who choose us have a unique story/connection/luck/background/accident in why they chose Gonzaga. At least the state side kids do.

I'll explain what I mean later...
    Please do
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.