Thread: Lady Zags vs Lady Rebels - Pre-Game

Default Lady Zags vs Lady Rebels - Pre-Game

Here is the pre-game write-up on Saturday's game vs. the Lady Rebels from GoZags:

GoZags: http://www.gozags.com/sports/w-baskb...120717aab.html

ZagDad

Sorry to hear about JB... hope she is OK and able to get at it soon. The team needs her.
    It was good to see the team continue without her.

So... who is going to start against UNLV?
    I'm thinking... 1-LS, 2-ES, 3-JL, 4-CS, 5-ZR
    CS will rotate between 1,3,4 as the bench comes in.
    With the small lineup... "run an gun"

Your thoughts??

Go Zags!!

we need Jill B....I hope and pray she can get back to play sooner rather than later......

but it is what it is.....Zee, Jen Wirth, ES, LS and Chandler.( I wouldn't mind at all if Jess starts)...use Jill T liberally....keep Leeanne in the mix...and lets get going on Louise....CLF said emphatically on the radio show that we need to get the freshmen "going" and that should include Louise....Louise can back up chandler/JT/ES...

we want to win games but we need to get our subs in regardless....we will not last the season except for a capable bench....

but lets not forget Gillian Barfield...at 6'1 she is as tall as Zee and we need that...even if she just spells Jen or Zee for 2 minutes here and there, it'll afford them some relief and get some exp as well...Katie Campbell as well as Corryn....I'd like to see them get some time....

we really need another big....hope the recruiting is keeping that in mind...

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    So... who is going to start against UNLV?
    I'm thinking... 1-LS, 2-ES, 3-JL, 4-CS, 5-ZR
    CS will rotate between 1,3,4 as the bench comes in.
    With the small lineup... "run an gun"

Your thoughts??

Go Zags!!
    Knowing CLF, I think that you are probably right although I think ES will play the #3 and JL the #2 simply due to height. UNLV lost three starters in their last game with two of the players not returning to the game (elbow to the head and hip). If all of UNLV's starters can play on Saturday, they start players at 6'0", 6'1", 6'2", 6'4" and 5'5".

I think that to keep the continuity of the team, I would start LS, ES, CS, JT and ZR. This keeps everybody at their current positions but this would mean that CLF would have to start a freshman. We lose some height with JT but she will mix it up with the best of them. The Wirth twins can spell JT, ZR and CS at the #3-#5 spots and JL can spell LS and ES at the #1 & #2. With her broken nose, LS did not shoot well at all last night. Other than her turnovers, she facilitated o'k but she shot terrible. I would not count on her providing many points as long as she has to wear the mask. You may see more of JL to provide better defense and more offense than the injured LS can provide at the point.

WSU was the worst game of the year for the Wirth twins. They were essentially ineffective at any phase of the game except providing time on the bench for JB & ZR. They were out of position, moved very easily off their spot, hesitant taking a shot, were rarely in rebounding position, etc. In other words, typical freshman. With the more physical teams, they need to pick up their game considerably before they will be able to provide valuable (constructive, point/rebound producing) minutes.

If LF is healthy, I would love to see her get some minutes. Since she has not played in any game so far, it is very likely she is not in "game" shape and her number of minutes would be limited. If she is healthy, a good 5-10 minutes at the #1-#3 would be a significant help.

Katie Campbell did not play against WSU because of the physical and aggressive nature of the game which lead to our 26 turnovers. If UNLV plays more off the ball and is less aggressive on defense, then she may get some minutes, but I would not count on it. In their last game against Buffalo, UNLV had 26 turnovers and Buffalo had 21, so it is likely some pressure defense was applied by both teams. Gillian Barfield is 6'1" but I don't think she will see any minutes on Saturday. She has a lot of the same issues as the Wirth twins but with even less on court experience. Height is a benefit, but it will not overcome hesitation and non-aggressive play. Watch JT play as a freshman at 5'11". She is much more beneficial, at this stage, to the team than the taller Wirth twins, KC or GB because she produces rebounds, points, steals and generally disrupts the opposition when she is in game, which we do not see very much from the other freshman (LF not withstanding because she has not played).

Saturday is a game against a team similar to CSU. If we want to win this game, we cannot put people in the game to get them minutes or we will fall too far behind. Without JB available, we cannot fall 10+ points behind and hope to catch up. We have two more OOC games against much weaker competition that we can experiment with the freshman before league starts.

If the ladies want to win this game, the starting five and JT will play the majority of the minutes. Both Wirth twins will need to come in for 5-10 minutes each to provide a break for "Z", JT & CS. If they play well, keep them in, if they don't match up well, like WSU, then they will need to be pulled relatively quickly. If LF is healthy, get her in there and let's see what she has. Use her as long as she is effective. If we can get a double digit lead, put KC and GB in for a few minutes to get rest for the starters.

UNLV won their first 4 games, all at home including an 88-80 OT victory against Portland State in game 1. They have lost their last 3 games all of which were on the road. Except for their last game, where they had WSU like shooting woes and 26 turnovers, they are averaging 75-80 points a game whether they win or lose.

Keeping our turnovers to a minimum will be a prerequisite in this game as will playing good solid defense and staying out of foul trouble. If we play our typical home game, we have a good chance to win this one. If we play like we did against WSU, I don't like our chances.

ZagDad

Here is the pregame write-up from UNLV::

Lady Rebels: http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/w-b...120817aaa.html

ZagDad

Here is the pregame write-up from The Slipper Still Fits:

Slipper: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...n-unlv-at-home

ZagDad

For those in the Spokane area, the Lady Zags vs the Lady Rebels game will be televised live on SWX. Those who like to go back and watch the telecast, set your DVD recorder and go to the game.

For our out of town guests, the game will be streamed by TheW.tv.

ZagDad