Thread: How do you make a _____

Default How do you make a _____

I thought it would be neat to hear if there are regional differences in the foods we make. In one group I'm in, someone posed a similar question and I was surprised by some of the differences, so I'll start with that same item, and you can feel free to answer or ask about another food. So how do you make a...

...grilled cheese sandwich

White bread butter one side of each slice. Place one slice in skillet add american cheese place other slice on top. Cook until golden brown on both sides. I like to cut at an angle to fancy it up.
    "The thing about the FOO is we seem like crazy people to dumb people"

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    White bread butter one side of each slice. Place one slice in skillet add american cheese place other slice on top. Cook until golden brown on both sides. I like to cut at an angle to fancy it up.
    Same, but substitute Tillamook Cheddar Cheese for American Cheese.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    So how do you make a...

...grilled cheese sandwich
    Fresh Challah bread, insides of slices lightly toasted on grill without butter. Slices of Bergenost cheese (!) placed inside, outsides buttered with Irish butter. Panini grill that thing until crispy perfection and serve with spicy, pickled carrots.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Grilled cheese?

Nacho Velveeta Cheese - on Wonder Bread, white of course.
    You nuke for 15 seconds. Don't want to over nuke bread.

I also use butter (occasionally olive oil if I'm being super lazy), but apparently some people use mayonnaise on the outside?!

I made one with sourdough bread today rather than white bread, probably should have substituted the American but I'm a creature of habit...

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I also use butter (occasionally olive oil if I'm being super lazy), but apparently some people use mayonnaise on the outside?!

I made one with sourdough bread today rather than white bread, probably should have substituted the American but I'm a creature of habit...
    Blasphemy.

Me... I keep it simple. I like to use good white bread or good rye bread. Butter outsides enough that you know said sandwich will be a greasy mess while eating. For my kids, if you can call them that as they are both approaching adulthood, two slices of American... for me I use whatever cheese is available (American if that is all we have) but tend to lean towards Munster or Cheddar. I cook the thing open with the cheese slices offset on either side if the bread is wider than the cheese. I toss a little extra butter in the pan before putting the bread in (I did mention greasy, right?). Once I see some slight meltage of the cheese... I close that sucker up and keep turning it until I am satisfied with the color of the outside... it has to look good you know. Plop that baby on a plate, cut it diagonal and serve.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death