Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GU vs UW - Predictions/What you hope to see

KU only has 1 legit big man and he was in foul trouble last night. Had 10 points on 5-6 shooting and 9 rebounds in limited minutes. Need to pound the Huskies in the interior w/ Tillie, JWIII and Larsen.

KU had beaten Syracuse recently. Hopkins watched game film and tweaked his zone, extended it further to contest all 3's. It worked out fairly well. They willingly gave up shots in the middle of the zone to Vick all game (28 points), but shut down everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    KU only has 1 legit big man and he was in foul trouble last night. Had 10 points on 5-6 shooting and 9 rebounds in limited minutes. Need to pound the Huskies in the interior w/ Tillie, JWIII and Larsen.

KU had beaten Syracuse recently. Hopkins watched game film and tweaked his zone, extended it further to contest all 3's. It worked out fairly well. They willingly gave up shots in the middle of the zone to Vick all game (28 points), but shut down everybody else.
    yep, wonder how Hopkins will do it vs. Zags. Would think he'd go to this at least at some point given the success they had vs. KU, but Zags have some nice options in the Vick role and will have seen the tape already to help prepare.

KU another team that relies on the 3 without inside production getting exposed. the whole idea of the defense forcing the ball into the paint is so counter to what we were doing way back when, fun evolutionary wave to ride as it's crested. Hamilton down at FSU has been playing like this for as long as I can remember defensively, not necessarily the zone but the perimeter pressure with rim protectors forcing dribble

want to see the Zags show up focused and locked in and ready for action from jump for 40

Been a long time since a game this early carried with it this much pressure. The UW beats Seattle U by only 5, but then goes and beats Kansas on a neutral floor (across the river from Kansas)?

Our guys better get their lips off the floor.

Zags 85
    Dogs 75

Only because I can't pick against the Zags against the UW, and hopefully the crowd is still 50% Zag fans.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

5-6 days will have been enough time to get the stench of the Villanova loss out of the air and will be more than enough time for the Huskies to read their press clippings and think they're better than they really are. It will be a tougher game than it would have been in the past few years, but the good guys will still prevail.

Zags - 80
    That team from the wrong side of the state - 72
    That was fun. Let's do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I would like to see the game.....hopefully the tired, jet lagged Zags will summon enough energy to win a shoot out at 85 to 80...
    The Kansas game changed my mind....the Huskies are on a roll and at home...Gonzaga is in a funk and in a true road game...

I think the UW will win 82-75.....

Close game through 3qtrs... Zags pull away late.

Zags 85
    Dawgs 75

Wow. The Kansas game is hard to process.
    I'd like this one to be around 110 to 25, but unfortunately that's not going to happen.
    GU 85
    UW 84

GU's defensive interior...JWIII and Larsen will wear the dogs down. GU 90 to Washington's 78 (last minute 3 makes game seem closer)...... Offensively, Norville, Tillie, JWIII and Perkins too much....and Melson gets a double double (points and assists) to boot. IMO

Zags lead for most of the game. Late turnovers doom the good guys. The Evil Empire wins. 78-76.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

GU should methodically take down UW on offense, assuming the turnover issue improves.
    Bill Self said his team is not particularly fast or big, and doesn’t execute anyone plays in offense. They have been winning via individual efforts. KU looks like a team in need of an identity. That said, KU isn’t as bad as they looked in the loss and US isn’t as good as they looked in the win, in my opinion.

Zags by 10.

GU by 3.

Is there any sort of Alumni event prior to the Husky game? I checked the Alumni Association web site and could not find anything.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I canít see the game in the high 80ís or 90ís so letís go 81-75. Winner will be the team that keeps there top two players out of foul trouble. Oh, and of course the team that keeps their turnovers under a dozen.

This board is the HQ for overreaction. Based on most posts this team needs to book a place in the CBI. One game for either team does not make a season. UW is still the same team that was boat raced by VTech, and struggled with the likes of Eastern and Seattle U. Granted this is not the Romar let it roll version of the Huskies, but they did not beat Kansas as much as Kansas crapped the bed. Zags are not in a funk, they played a terrible first half against Nova.

Zags 79 Mutss 65

Don't see how the boys aren't up for this game in a big way.

Zags 82
    Huskies 71

GU 86
    UW 68

Anyone know the line for this game? I can't seem to find it.
    Bring back the OCC

Gu 84
    UW 79

I watched the KU/UW game and was impressed by their point guard. Fast and drives very well.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Zags 76
    UW 61

Perimeter defense remains a concern.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Perimeter defense remains a concern.
    agreed. an under-mentioned issue this season.

In EVERY single game we give up the easy dribble-drive. Fortunate Tillie, Larsen, and sometimes J3 have bailed us out.

any team with a decent guard has burnt us in the paint, often leading to foul trouble for our bigs. Its kind of cause and effect.

Its also the reason we've zone so frequently this season, the coaches recognize the shortcomings.

I think Zags will be ready for this one. I predicted a 9 pt loss to Nova. Zags win this one by 6.

Our guys intensity will show up, makes a huge difference.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

In EVERY single game we give up the easy dribble-drive. Fortunate Tillie, Larsen, and sometimes J3 have bailed us out.

any team with a decent guard has burnt us in the paint, often leading to foul trouble for our bigs. Its kind of cause and effect.

Its also the reason we've zone so frequently this season, the coaches recognize the shortcomings.

I think Zags will be ready for this one. I predicted a 9 pt loss to Nova. Zags win this one by 6.

Our guys intensity will show up, makes a huge difference.
    The dribble defense philosophy had to take a major philosophy change from last year where gambling and mistakes were covered up by karnowski and we funneled players to him

Can't do that this year and we are adjusting
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

Our guys intensity will show up, makes a huge difference
    The single most disappointing thing about the Nova game was the lack of urgency or intensity from the very beginning. Didn't seem to want to play. I hope to see the huge difference it makes.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    The single most disappointing thing about the Nova game was the lack of urgency or intensity from the very beginning. Didn't seem to want to play. I hope to see the huge difference it makes.
    I'm not certain the guys thought they could win, or were simply intimidated by the venue, city, etc?

they just weren't ready to play. Not just one guy, either. Happens to every team.

I saw Melson hustling, Norvell after the early TO's, and of course Larsen. The rest weren't really playing hard at all. They made a play here and there, but even their expressions, body language, etc was off.

Maybe too used to the coziness of the Kennel, which Portland was very pro-Gonzaga, close to home, etc.

Something was off.

Again, yes Nova is an awesome team, but not THAT awesome. We were off our game and we were exposed as a result.

Playing team ball, how we played in scrimmage, exhibition, first few games is where and how these team needs to play. Share the ball, quick passes, all average 9 or 10 ppg.

If they get back to basics, value every possession, play with intensity (as we've seen), they can play with ANYONE, including Nova.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    The dribble defense philosophy had to take a major philosophy change from last year where gambling and mistakes were covered up by karnowski and we funneled players to him

Can't do that this year and we are adjusting
    was it really gambling and mistakes? those could also be covered, yes, but the D philosophy and execution seemed more like tactical acumen done by design knowing there was rim protection

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    was it really gambling and mistakes? those could also be covered, yes, but the D philosophy and execution seemed more like tactical acumen done by design knowing there was rim protection

could gambling and mistakes allow Zags to have a top rated defense at the end of last year? doubtful