View Poll Results: Should Larsen start at center and JWIII come off the bench?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Larsen should start and JWIII should come in off of the bench

22 22.45%
  • No, JWIII provides senior leadership and should still be the starter

67 68.37%
  • Not sure

9 9.18%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Should Larsen start at center and JWIII come off the bench?

Default Poll: Should Larsen start at center and JWIII come off the bench?

Too many times this year I have seen JWIII too amped up making silly mistakes and fouls. Larsen, despite being a freshman is very poised and as I stated very early in the season, is extremely talented. I think a starting fc of Larsen and Tillie may be better for the team, because it not only allows for a true pf, c combo, creating mismatches with our opponents, but it lets JWIII come off of the bench giving instance offense and energy. What say you?

no

I don't think you can do that to JW3 in his senior year. He is pushing too much though. So many turnovers.

I say no because Larsen has never played a D-1 road game, and this environment will be the toughest one of the season.

This is a non smart thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Totally agree, Abe.

For once I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I say no because Larsen has never played a D-1 road game, and this environment will be the toughest one of the season.
    Normally I would agree with you, but the Great Dane has shown to be as cool as a cucumber. He played in the Mecca of college basketball tonight and it didn't phase him one bit. JWIII on the other hand looked like a deer in the headlights. Playing at HEC Ed wouldn't bother JL one bit.

Why not? The vast majority of posts are just opinion and conjecture, just fun entertainment. Remember, the drivel that we post has no bearing whatsoever on what occurs on the court.

If JW3 struggles on road vs Washington and SDSu and Larsen continues to produce id see a real benefit in this. But I would never start a frosh for the first time on the road. Recipe for disaster
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I'm just glad to see Larson being a capable player right now. Encouraging to see.

JW3 is not really a center...I'd like to see JL and JW3 start and have Tillie come off the bench with the first foul maybe. But either way JW3 earned his right to start last year IMHO.

Toughest environment of the year? Hec Ed might be packed for the Zags but I don't think fans have exactly been flocking to the stands so far this year. UW is winning games but against weak competition, and some of the games have been close. Since the series renewed, every year some Zags fans make the Huskies out to be way more than they are. GU should win fairly easily.

That doesn't address the question posed by the OP in this thread. Hard to say. JWIII has been up and down. Don't forget the Florida game. Larsen has been good most of this year, but several games he looked shaky in the first half before settling down and playing better after halftime. I think I'd stick w/ JWIII as a starter for now but continue to give Larsen plenty of minutes.

Timmins is kind of a wide body for UW but not productive at all. Dickerson vs. JWIII could be an intriguing matchup.

A lot of guys keep saying how "tough" the environment is, but has JL shown even a single ounce of fear and intimidation? If you told two people who know nothing about bball to observe JWIII and The Great Dane and see which one exhibited nerves in big games and which one was cool under pressure, what would they say?

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Why not? The vast majority of posts are just opinion and conjecture, just fun entertainment. Remember, the drivel that we post has no bearing whatsoever on what occurs on the court.
    Zags gonna beat Villanova and likley go undefeated this year was good example of such “drivel”....ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Toughest environment of the year? Hec Ed might be packed for the Zags but I don't think fans have exactly been flocking to the stands so far this year. UW is winning games but against weak competition, and some of the games have been close. Since the series renewed, every year some Zags fans make the Huskies out to be way more than they are. GU should win fairly easily.

That doesn't address the question posed by the OP in this thread. Hard to say. JWIII has been up and down. Don't forget the Florida game. Larsen has been good most of this year, but several games he looked shaky in the first half before settling down and playing better after halftime. I think I'd stick w/ JWIII as a starter for now but continue to give Larsen plenty of minutes.

Timmins is kind of a wide body for UW but not productive at all. Dickerson vs. JWIII could be an intriguing matchup.
    Excellent, well thought out post. Dickerson is having a great year thus far and when he was thinking about transferring, I was hoping we'd land him. You're right, I'm very curious to see how JWIII fares against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Zags gonna beat Villanova and likley go undefeated this year was good example of such “drivel”....ha ha
    Yes it was. I have no problem admitting that I was wrong. I've been married 15 years, I wake up wrong.

You mean the guy that was MVP of last year's NCAA Regional & on the PK80 All Tourney 1st team?

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    You mean the guy that was MVP of last year's NCAA Regional & on the PK80 All Tourney 1st team?
    No, I'm talking about the guy that had 5 points, 5 fouls and ZERO rebounds tonight. See, I can cherry pick stats that fit my narrative too. lol

Unless my memory is off, Larsen kind of reminds me of Batista. JP was 2 inches shorter & 40lbs heavier, but the stats seem similar.

Larsen so far (age 20):
    12min, 5.1pts, 4.1rb, 2P% .619, FT% .750

Batista year 1 (age 23):
    25 min, 12.4pts, 6.2rb, 2P% .612, FT% .802

Batista year 2:
    32 min, 19.3pts, 9.4rb, 2P% .594, FT% .833

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Unless my memory is off, Larsen kind of reminds me of Batista. JP was 2 inches shorter & 40lbs heavier, but the stats seem similar.

Larsen so far (age 20):
    12min, 5.1pts, 4.1rb, 2P% .619, FT% .750

Batista year 1 (age 23):
    25 min, 12.4pts, 6.2rb, 2P% .612, FT% .802

Batista year 2:
    32 min, 19.3pts, 9.4rb, 2P% .594, FT% .833
    I think it's an even easier comp. He's a much more athletic, much better in shape Shem. He does all of the good that Shem did, great advanced post moves, great vision and passer and more that Shem couldn't do; JL tries to always dunk, doesn't drop the easy pass and is a better ft shooter. The kid is gonna be a flat out stud.

Not a crazy question. JW thrived as a pf last year, much more natural position and as pro likely where he'd earn a living. I'd love to see JL at the 5 and JW at the 4. But that leaves Tillie off the floor and I think he's our most consistent player. I think this is our last year to watch "the Eiffel tower" in a zag uniform. To valuable not to start.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    No, I'm talking about the guy that had 5 points, 5 fouls and ZERO rebounds tonight. See, I can cherry pick stats that fit my narrative too. lol
    Cherry pick stats?

I just referenced 5 games. You referenced 1.

Going too fast for you?

I'll see your lol & raise you LOL.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Cherry pick stats?

I just referenced 5 games. You referenced 1.

Going too fast for you?

I'll see your lol & raise you LOL.
    I could post similar games where he was less than effective, i.e. Utah state but I did not want this to be a JW III bashing thread but conversely I didn't want posts like yours turning it into a slobber fest either.

I’ll stick with our leading scorer and rebounder. Sheesh, guy has one bad game and you’re ready to move on? Come on spy!