Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Villanova postgame thoughts/analysis

Villanova is really good, and they played probably their best game of the year. They actually reminded me a bit of last year's Zags.

I think his sorta game is to be expected a little with this years Zags. Hopefully they learn from it.

Killian Tillie is their best player, in my opinion.

I've been saying it since the beginning and I'm sticking to it. Larsen is a better Shem and ZN is a better Gary Bell. This potential starting lineup next year: Perk, ZN, CK, Clarke and Larsen will be sick.

I'll respectfully disagree back...headfakes?....Nova crashing the boards and getting into the correct positioning ta boot. We played Novas game....and there was little we could do about it. Do we have a good team..Absolutely. We want no part of them....you may have just witnessed the next NC....yes they are as good as they looked...that's why we looked so bad. Another team might out athlete them...but they won't out think them. We aren't that close to them fundamentally. It was so bad at the end that we got breakaway steals and didn't even get a shot up. The one thing I will add...Tillie needs to quit picking up stupid fouls...we need him on the court....its happening way to much. I think Kispert would have help cause hes fearless like Norvell.

The past couple games or so, have been "coming out parties" for Norvell and Larsen. Those guys stepped up tonight. Zach might be a gem in the making. Missed Corey, but glad he didn't play. If he would have, wouldn't have made much of a difference in the final score. Still have faith in Tillie, Josh and JW3. Rui has to slow things down and determine what he can and can't do. Love this team. They should only get better, shouldn't they? Hats off to Nova. A very good team with a great coach.

Just throwing this out there... Zags were clanking shots in warm-ups... especially going into the second half. I knew it was going to be trouble. From my vantage point I felt they got some good open looks, but as I said to someone at the game (UConn fan in front of me) Zags just plain "shot themselves out of it". No patience in the first half... got quick shots off and clanked nearly all of them and basically handed Nova a 12 point lead... a lead they never relinquished.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Just throwing this out there... Zags were clanking shots in warm-ups... especially going into the second half. I knew it was going to be trouble. From my vantage point I felt they got some good open looks, but as I said to someone at the game (UConn fan in front of me) Zags just plain "shot themselves out of it". No patience in the first half... got quick shots off and clanked nearly all of them and basically handed Nova a 12 point lead... a lead they never relinquished.
    Let's not forget the 12 turnovers in the first half, either. Just can't do that against an average team, let alone a team like Villanova.

Flex said "Zags lack an on-court leader to calm guys down, make the right plays, stop the frantic play that resulted in so many turnovers" .

I might add direct the play of the team overall. To run the offense and not make a whole series of boneheaded plays.

I'm not going to begin a big fuss but this is a big part what a PG does. PG may or may not score a lot but he's the quarterback, runs the offense, sets the tempo.
    PPG, steals, etc just don't ever tell the story. Pangos? Yes. Nigel? Of course. Josh...nope We need a PG and just don't have one. It's nothing personal. It's how a team is managed. The Creighton game was won by an up tempo group of shooters who rebounded well but played lock down defense in the 2nd half. Josh had little to do with that win.

Nonetheless, Josh is doing what Josh does. I do think he's trying hard to be the best player he can be but PG is just not his best position.
    This will happen again mostly against the more high end opponents. I think we'll blow through the WCC....maybe split with SMC and maybe lose an unexpected game. In the WCC , a team like ours can get away with a lot with lesser opponents.......things that Nova will simply capitalize on. We were killed on national TV tonight. TO be clear, we have the talent to beat Villanova....just not tonight and not like this.
    This team is still in development and is a young, inexperienced team. Norvell, Larsen, Kispert, young, learning and are getting better.
    A leader and director of the team on court is what we really need.

We have to accept a few things, I think:

1) Josh is a good point guard but is likely never going to be an elite point guard. Some nights he will be on and some nights not so on.
    2) JWIII is going to be superb some nights, very good on others and will likely disappear in a few scattered games, like he did tonight.
    3) Jacob is showing signs he could be a really good center with some more experience.
    4) Against elite teams, the whole club has a ways to go, but room for significant improvement is still there, especially with Zach and Rui and hopefully more consistency from Tillie, JWIII and Josh.

We got to see what a top four team plays like, especially on a virtual home court and New York is a long way for this still developing team to travel and show at the top of their game. I still don't think it's time to panic or get hysterical.

Well.............that was embarrassing, nothing quite like coughing up a big 'ol hairball on national TV.

As has been said numerous times in this thread, lots to learn from. However, this was by far our best chance to leave a positive impression on east coast BB pundits, and NCAA Tournament selection committee members in that part of the Country (even with a loss). I believe we will be good enough (record, RPI, etc.) to earn a protected seed (1-4) in the dance, but we failed the eye test horribly tonight. That bad taste in the mouth's of east coast selection committee members will come back to haunt the guys on Selection Sunday.

19 TO's is simply unacceptable, with 12 in the first half. While a few were due to Nova pressure and athleticism, most of them were the result of sloppy play and bad mental decisions, same reason as the 24 TO's against Texas. We are simply not going to beat a top 15 team with that many TO's. That is the single thing that needs to be fixed, IMHO. Now, since we don't play anyone of that caliber for the rest of the season, the TO's will take a back seat to other things, as will the ZAGS in the minds of east coast selection committee members. Physically, we have the horses for another run, and the effort is there, but the mental toughness isn't there yet.

On the bright side, the guys got it to a 7 point game with about 16:00 remaining, plus a couple of other times prior to or around the 10:00 mark. However, they threw up on themselves each and every time after getting within striking distance.

Unfortunately, the guys squandered a golden opportunity tonight, not just for a Top 10 ranking, but to remain relevant in the discussion for a protected seed in the dance.

Go ZAGS

Zags got stomped. GU is not a top10 team as some were proclaiming the last few games

Got outclassed. From top to the bottom. No hustle, no fire, Nada to be honest. Got our butts kicked. Slapped up.

Larsen, norvell and Perkins at times did well. Nobody else IMO. Maybe Silas? Tillie was terrible. Played pretty soft IMO. Jw3? Nada. Rui? Didn't look like he belonged.

Its one game tho. It happens. On to UW.
    Love the zags for life

Nova is better, not really much you can say.

I don't know where the ZN love is coming from. He is good attacking the basket, but that the extent of his elite skills.

No problem with how Perk played, except that the layup he threw away. He has shown many times since having his face broken that he is gun-shy on drives to the basket, and that was a key example. Btw I swear that went off the nova player.

Larson was way better than J3, I think depending on the type of game it is Few should let Larsen play more minutes.

Melson very solid, can't ask much more of him.

Jones should play over Rui in games like this where the opposing team is disciplined and skilled. But Jones fouls constantly, so he will foul out within about 15 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Really could have used NWG in this one. Turnovers killed us and just couldn’t keep pace with the physicality of Nova. They dictated the pace of the game. Chalk it up as a bad game. However, this game along with a Texas debacle has me thinking there are things that need to be fixed if GU is going to get past the elite teams.
    We could of but goss left. He is the past.
    Love the zags for life

Default Disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Zags lost to a better team that also played better. It’s been a long time since any team did this to Gonzaga.
    The Zags have lost games before, but it has been a while since they were outclassed like they were tonight. It looked to me like the guys were out of sync for most of the game and very weak with the ball. Turnovers just killed us! The game was disappointing for me, since this was such a big game, on a big stage, and on national television and we really didn't show up. I really feel badly for the kids, but they also have to take responsibility for how they played this game and their individual efforts while playing in it. I'm hoping this will wake the team up and make them realize that they need to play with toughness and determination for every game, since everyone is going to give us their very best shot. We are Gonzaga, but the other teams are not going to fold their tents and give us the wins because of the name on our jersey. We really have to earn every victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Zags got stomped. GU is not a top10 team as some were proclaiming the last few games
    Not much positive stuff to take from this game. Larsen and norvell? We were so sloppy and nova was just great.
    Love the zags for life

Rui's traveling was obviously not traveling.
    Japanese fan

Reviewing the whole thing Zags lost with sloppy uninspired play. We got beat with 3's and TO's. Our TO's which led to lots of points for Nova.
    Maybe the guys were intimidated. Who knows???? but our usual solid kids weren't so solid. Don't get me wrong guys, Nova's very good. SO are we though.
    With another 3 months under our belt, I'd be happy to meet them again. We made them look good. We made ourselves look bad. We were within 7 pts in the second half but couldn't sustain a comeback due to our terrible 3 pt defense and horrid rate of TO's. Correct those and we're in it.

If you looked at Nova's structure, they weren't really that different from us. They play a Princeton offense and often there's 4 guards and one big. Not happy about the loss but when we eliminate the TO's and boneheaded plays, we'll be as strong as we were prior to Nova. Our PG situation is going to remain what it is. Only hope is that we work around that. I'm sure Few can.
    Defense is always key in college basketball. Right now, we're not doing a good job on D. Over the years, we've had D problems off and on, but if Few makes the kids focus on that, we should be fine.

We have good veterans and I've not seen so many very good Frosh, redshirt or not.

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    Nova is better, not really much you can say.

I don't know where the ZN love is coming from. He is good attacking the basket, but that the extent of his elite skills.

No problem with how Perk played, except that the layup he threw away. He has shown many times since having his face broken that he is gun-shy on drives to the basket, and that was a key example. Btw I swear that went off the nova player.

Larson was way better than J3, I think depending on the type of game it is Few should let Larsen play more minutes.

Melson very solid, can't ask much more of him.

Jones should play over Rui in games like this where the opposing team is disciplined and skilled. But Jones fouls constantly, so he will foul out within about 15 mins.
    Agree with all of the above with big exception of Perkins. He shot 1-7 from 3 and had 5 TO’s. I’m a fan of JP and think he’s a great Zag, but besides those poor stats (which I’m sure he himself has a problem with) he never seemed to command his team from the PG position. For example, announcers pointed out several times when ‘Nova would switch leaving Brunson guarding Larsen (or some other mismatch) but Zags never got him the ball. Some of that is due to great D on the ballhandler and not allowing him to see the pass, but recognition and exploitation of those kinds of mismatches is what a coach needs from his PG... or some on-court leader. Zags didn’t get that on court leadership from anyone.

Norvell drew some charges on D and had bright moments, but he caused at least one foul on Tillie when his man blew by him so Tillie tried to help. Not certain but when the game taps gets looked at I bet on the whole ZN had more negatives (missed rotations, failed blockouts, beat off the bounce etc) than positives defensively. I’ll be a lot more excited about ZN when he plays better D and knocks down shots early in the game during pressure packed moments.

JP, Tillie, Williams with 5,4,3 turnovers respectively. Ouch.

You can implore a team to play smarter but can you coach a team to do so?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Here are the numbers ...

J3's stats just do not look like J3. The early fouls sure hurt his court time when the team needed him. No rebounds. What I do like here though is J3's continued efforts at the FT line. The team as a whole is improving on that end.
    Tillie, Melson and Perks just did not shoot well. Perks being the team leader on rebounds ..... ??? A telling stat for this game.
    Norvell's numbers look pretty good excepting zero assists.
    Rui shot well ..... I feel that the overall off-their-game-ness of the team got Rui well off his mark.
    Jones .... he surely tried getting GU back in it with an OREB and a steal.
    Larsen looked pretty good. Wade wasn't in very long but at least got a shot off.

Now that it's the next day .... I suspect this will be the worst game the Zags play all year. One thing this team does do pretty well is to learn from their experiences. This was the team's first longer trip. Up until last night they've only played in Spokane and Portland. The overall outcome makes it look like they didn't travel well - as the stats just do not look like this team.

nova is number 1 in Kenpom. we dropped from 11 to 13. seems about right at this point. Last year we were 8 deep without drop off in play. this year we are 4 deep without Cory. I think we get close to 8 deep but maybe February. ZN needs to watch Hoosiers: 3 passes before a shot. We are a great 3 pt shooting team--sometimes, but consistency is a problem. We don't have a player that can carry the offense, so I think trust the system and our offense would be fine and the TO's go down. Less is more in this case. Our defense is Kenpom 26 but it's a work in progress but I think we can get it to maybe 16th by march.

IIRC, GU was up when Few took Tils out with one foul. Nova went up. Don't think we ever really got back in the game after that. That puzzled me tho its was obviously way early.

[IMG]
    https://d2gk7xgygi98cy.cloudfront.net/1116-3-large.jpg
    [/IMG]

19 of them.

I know Nova's pressure led to a lot of them, but there were some silly ones at really bad times. Big part of why we could not get momentum.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The Zags need to call upon their G League affiliate and get some help at point guard, fast!

Seriously, pressure defence exposes this Zags team's achilles heel.

Was at the game last night - what a disappointment. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong:

- Fouls, fouls, fouls: Williams & Tillie picking up 2 fouls in the first half was rough enough, but than Wiliams to start the 2nd half picking up #3 & #4 was just boneheaded
    - Honestly, I don't know why people keep hyping up Hachimura
    - 3 pt defense: it felt like the Zags have reverted to the general mean of 3 pt defense over the years, which is to say there isn't any. Last year was a complete aberration.
    - What is up with Norvell's streakiness? He went 4-8 from downtown, but most of his makes came with 10 min left in the game when it was pretty much already decided
    - Perkins had 38 minutes and Melson had 37...what the hell happens if they gets in foul trouble? Wade is at the end of the bench (albeit probably due to shoulder/lack of practice time)
    - They desperately missed Kispert
    - Phantom Defender Syndrome!

Finally, this is the stereotypical tough-nosed East Coast team pounding up a West Coast team.

Norvell is a scorer...he has a quick trigger and he is hunting shots....I am sure there must be some others, but I can only think that the last player Gonzaga had with that mindset was Morrison....

The expectations of some on the board for Rue and Wade have been unrealistic....