Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: OT - College Football Playoffs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,265

    Default OT - College Football Playoffs

    I know this is a CBB board, but these things are fun to discuss. Not withstanding the fact that GU football is undefeated since 1955, now that the conference championships are over, who are the 4 teams in the National Playoffs???

    Oklahoma, Clemson, and Georgia are in for sure, IMHO, but the 4th spot is up for grabs. What say you between Ohio State, Bama, Wisconsin, USC, or others????

    Based on strength of schedule, I think Ohio State is in. Anyone but Bama, who didn't even appear in their conference championship game.

    Go ZAGS

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,160

    Default

    My comment: expand to 8 teams, and guarantee that any unbeaten team gets in. Until that occurs, I can't get all that excited about an unfair playoff.

    http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...h1n7gcwtlvlnkh

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    16,362

    Default

    Ohio State or Alabama? I think it’ll be Bama. But since they might be my two least favorite teams I’ll choose indifference.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    Penn State (with 2 losses) was the Big Ten champ last year and beat Ohio State. Ohio State got in, Penn State did not. I think it would be hypocritical if Ohio State got in with 2 losses.
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    Not sure you take 2 SEC teams over a big 10 champion, especially when bama had such a weak schedule, comparatively.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,599

    Default

    It would've been so much simpler if Wisconsin could've beaten Ohio St. But it didn't happen. Yeah, I can't stand 'Bama or tOSU, but one of them is probably getting in. It's kinda cool that Clemson has become such a powerhouse.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Penn State (with 2 losses) was the Big Ten champ last year and beat Ohio State. Ohio State got in, Penn State did not. I think it would be hypocritical if Ohio State got in with 2 losses.
    Penn State didn’t have the resume that year. Buckeyes have a better resume than bama. Plus, that year they were still choosing a big 10 team. In this case they would take 2 sec teams over 2 conference champions of p5 schools.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,160

    Default

    I just feel with a 8 team playoff that it would end up being like the NCAA basketball tournament where the teams that gripe about not getting in really have no reason to gripe, which is what you want. With 4 teams, there is just too much of an opportunity for someone to be left out that really deserved to be in. I realize this is a useless conversation to have until the playoff is revisited again in year whatever, but I see it changing at some point.........

    Something to note: the top four finishers in Strength of Record this season are Oklahoma, Clemson, Georgia and Alabama. 11 of the 12 past Playoff teams have had a top-4 SOR.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Clemson
    OU
    Georgia
    Bama

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Not sure you take 2 SEC teams over a big 10 champion, especially when bama had such a weak schedule, comparatively.
    Weaker schedule, but they won. OSU lost to Iowa. We'll see.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    6,700

    Default

    Central Florida deserves a spot, all they did is win every game.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    14,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    It would've been so much simpler if Wisconsin could've beaten Ohio St. But it didn't happen. Yeah, I can't stand 'Bama or tOSU, but one of them is probably getting in. It's kinda cool that Clemson has become such a powerhouse.
    Agree. Of all these behemoths, Clemson is arguably the best academically. Bama (#110 in US News), and Oklahoma (#97) are not in the running at all. Wisky, of course, is tops at #41, but alas not in the FB mix. Both Ga and OSU are #54 but I would opt for Clemson, a much smaller and pristine school, at #67.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Clemson ACC Champ
    Georgia SEC Champ
    Oklahoma Big 12 Champ
    USC Pac 12 Champ

    Put Ohio St and Bama in their own Bowl game.

    Trojans beat a Top 15 twice, a few Top 25 teams, and only lost to ranked teams.

    Ohio St lost to unranked team by 30. Bama was blown out by the ONLY ranked team they played all season.

    I don't get why USC isn't getting more discussion. Pac 12 isn't respected this year, yet the overrated Big 10 isn't any better.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

    -- Coach Few

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    3,734

    Default

    Who I think deserve to be in the CFP:
    Clemson
    Oklahoma
    Georgia
    OSU or USC *

    *Being a betting man I would bet UA gets in the final spot.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    Weaker schedule, but they won. OSU lost to Iowa. We'll see.
    Wisconsin could make that argument.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    Clemson
    OU
    Georgia
    Bama
    This was the top four.

    Ohio State was #5, Wisconsin #6.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,160

    Default

    Prediction: 8 team playoff will occur the next time it's up for discussion.

    You cannot have a team like UCF go unbeaten and not be able to compete for a national title. Especially after what they did to Auburn in the Peach Bowl....beating them in the heart of SEC country. The whole reason the playoff was created was to avoid situations like this. Their non-participation in the college football playoff is one of the greatest injustices in the history of college sports. No matter how much money is involved and how much the big money conferences control it, I think what UCF did is going to cause movement towards change. Plus, the TV networks are not going to bark at a larger playoff.

    I mean, we have freaking playoff this year where there is no unbeaten team. Going unblemished is a feat that is really hard to accomplish.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    6,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Prediction: 8 team playoff will occur the next time it's up for discussion.

    You cannot have a team like UCF go unbeaten and not be able to compete for a national title. Especially after what they did to Auburn in the Peach Bowl....beating them in the heart of SEC country. The whole reason the playoff was created was to avoid situations like this. Their non-participation in the college football playoff is one of the greatest injustices in the history of college sports. No matter how much money is involved and how much the big money conferences control it, I think what UCF did is going to cause movement towards change. Plus, the TV networks are not going to bark at a larger playoff.

    I mean, we have freaking playoff this year where there is no unbeaten team. Going unblemished is a feat that is really hard to accomplish.
    UCF got hosed, They belong in the discussion.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    So life is unfair.....what is new....IMHO the greatest injustice of all was that the undefeated 1951 San Francisco Dons with 4 HOF Players did not compete for the National Championship because they had two black players......Ollie Matson...Bert Toler....

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    UCF got hosed, They belong in the discussion.
    I really believe it's one of the greatest injustices in the history of college athletics. Look, I understand that college football is big money, and that the power conferences control that money to a great extent, but just like the insanity of my elderly dad not being able to watch the college football playoff or any significant bowl game because he can't afford cable/dish on his retirement income (these games should be on network TV - the Rose Bowl is an American tradition that has cultural significance that's in the public interest well beyond the game itself), this is ultimately amateur athletics involving a bunch of kids who will mostly not play in the NFL, and thus, the sport really has an ethical obligation to makes things fair for everyone involved.

    As I stated in another thread, I believe in an eight team playoff where anyone who goes unbeaten is an automatic qualifier. They get in, regardless of where they are in the playoff standings. Going unbeaten is worthy of an invitation alone because we don't see it that often. Especially in the non-power leagues. I have zero issues with UCF getting an eight seed because of their playoff ranking, but they MUST be allowed to compete for the title.

    Thank God that the NCAA men's basketball tournament produces a true champion. At least in theory.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •