Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GU vs Villanova - Predictions/What you hope to see

Picking with my heart.

Zags - 78
    Villa-ovarated - 73
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

It's a given that we all wish there be no injuries. I happen to think a very focused 3 pt defense will win this on for us. Thus far, we've not been challenged from long distance like Nova will If we rebound well and play hard defense, we can win this. I'm no genius on this and I'm sure Few knows the same thing. 17-19 3's made will lose this game for us. If defense cuts that in half, we should be ok.
    Time zone changes can have severe effects, but the kids left only 48 hrs prior to game time. Adrenal glands take nearly a week to adjust. In that regard, we should be ok. It's a 4 pm game our time. We need this one. Our last big game prior to league.

DEFENSE will determine the winner.

Hope the boys handle the trip back East and get a little extra road experience along with a solid win-- I will 3rd the no injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Nova plays crushing D. Double the ball often. Premium on ball handling this game. They are UVa-smart. And Wright is a terrific coach. Their fan base will be noisy. Scored 3 great tix from UConn staff.......2d game is actually the feature, with 2 legacy BE teams; however, both are a bit off this year. Back in the day, the UConn fan base at MSG was a sight to behold. “You——-Konn,” as loud as can be.
    Congrats Jazz!!!!!!!!!! Nova also #1 Kenpom. I mean last year we were #1 KP at the end of the year and people were still labeling us as a team with a soft schedule because of conference. Nova is for real. If we beat them at MSG we are looking at a guaranteed top 3 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Wildcats 84
    Bulldogs 77

Hope we see the quality of play @ MSG that allowed the Zags to beat down UNC on 11.22.2006 and not the struggles had versus the Blue Devils a month later. . .

I think they'll be competitive but I think Nova's guards are better than our guards. I also expect to see the Zags complaining to the zebras about calls and no-calls. . .if the refs are calling it tight, they need to adapt to it and not get in early foul trouble.
    Fairs points superstar! Lets see what happens! Should be electric!!!!!!!!

Zags 93 - Nova 84

GU 76
    Nova 71

Melson and Norvell play exceptional defense. Williams and Tillie are unstoppable. Perkins doesn't turn the ball over at all. Zags hold Nova to under 50% from the field.

Las Vegas boys have posted their odds........ LV sez .... Villanova 77 GU 72. Would like to see a complete game ... @MSG...... so the Heart has it:

GU 91 - 88 'Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    holy smokes my friend Griz Zag.....in grill defense and score near the 90's wow sounds like a shootout to me...hope you and family doing well
    Two teams with major firepower. Score will be high but D wins this one with low turnovers. Epic battle coming. Doing great in the desert Ed.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Gonzaga wins by seven, 83-76.
    Last edited by Reborn; 12-05-2017 at 05:54 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Zags 75

Cats 78

Hope I am wrong
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    Las Vegas boys have posted their odds........ LV sez .... Villanova 77 GU 72. Would like to see a complete game ... @MSG...... so the Heart has it:

GU 91 - 88 'Cats
    As it relates to College Bball, I'm not a fan of LV odds makers. Other sports, sure, but I lean more towards Pomeroy.

This time, however, sounds about right...

Villanova is Pom's #1 team for a reason.

I do think Villanova is stacked, and easily the best team we will face all season. They would beat Florida. VERY similar teams, yet Nova has more skilled bigs and WAY better defense.

I would pick Nova vs any team not named Duke this season, including us.

I expect our fuys to compete yet they are too efficient on both sides for our young guys and depth (Rui, Norvell, Kispert, Larsen) to keep up with this well oiled machine of a team right now. Too tough to defend them in a true road environment.

By seasons end, could be a different story...

In early December, Nova 79 Zags 71

By late March, Zags 77 Nova 75

Play loose and enjoy the game - and Perkins said he'd stay out of the left corner - good as he hits threes from straight on. I think the youngsters come in and out off the bench wear Nova out in the second half. the "D" steps up and the Zags come out on top.
    86-62 Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by BeachZag View Post
    Play loose and enjoy the game - and Perkins said he'd stay out of the left corner - good as he hits threes from straight on. I think the youngsters come in and out off the bench wear Nova out in the second half. the "D" steps up and the Zags come out on top.
    86-62 Zags!
    If this is the final score, we're winning a Natty!

Zags 82
    Nova 76
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Zags 87
    Cats 79

Go Zags - Beat the Wildcats!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Zags do the unthinkable...while on plane ride to NYC, rewatch tape 3-point defense against Florida in 2nd half....players shake heads in disbelief, team then watches Florida State handle Florida in Gainesville...instantly realize how running teams off the 3-point line increases odds to win game, as Zags control boards and Norvell explodes for 30...Zags 72-Nova Nation 64.

Quote Originally Posted by irishzag_09 View Post
    Zags do the unthinkable...while on plane ride to NYC, rewatch tape 3-point defense against Florida in 2nd half....players shake heads in disbelief, team then watches Florida State handle Florida in Gainesville...instantly realize how running teams off the 3-point line increases odds to win game, as Zags control boards and Norvell explodes for 30...Zags 72-Nova Nation 64.

We have a pretty good team...maybe the best team west of the Mississippi, for sure west of the Rockies...I know of one team west of the Mississippi that would give us fits and that is TA&M but that can be discussed later...

The balance of the teams are on the east of the Mississippi...Villanova is one of those teams and an extremely talented and deep team it is...we are talented but young. I would love to see GU play outstanding defence above and below the arc and block out. We need to stay out of foul trouble, keeping them off the f/t line...play really smart and hope that Zach brings his "A" game on both ends of the court...

Villanova reminds me of Duke when it plays in MSG so I have Villanova 81 and GU 69 but would love for that score to be turned around...

Heart says Zags, brain says 'Nova wins this one. Kispert injury sucks, and crowd should favor the Wildcats.

Hoping this doesn't happen:

Nova 83
    Zags 77
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

If I was a member of the AP or Coaches Poll, 'Nova would be receiving my vote as #1.

Just as they are Ken Pom's #1. They are always such a balanced team, offensively and defensively. Losing Kispert really hurts our depth offensively.

I just feel our young guns are bit too green to pull this out, as we'll need all hands on deck. How will Rui, Norvell, et al respond with the lights on them. Haven't really truly played a road game this season.

The moment feels too big for this team. By season's end, different story.

Doens't feel right picking against the Zags, yet Nova by 9. 80-71.

Zags will get revenge in March on these guys.

Zags 82 Nova 79