Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Creighton Post Game thoughts and analysis

Default Creighton Post-Game Thoughts

1) I really like Coach McDermott
    2) I'd love to play Creighton every year
    3) Finally got Creighton to shoot less than 50%
    4) Melson, Tillie and Norvell came up Huge! Major props to them. If we can beat a Top 25 team with Williams and Perkins being "no-shows," then this team is going to have a bright future!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

5)Kispert out injured, bench got quite a bit shorter w/ Norvell moving into the starting lineup

ZN can ball.

Agree
    Agree
    Love it
    A little hatsh to call JWill a no show. 15 and 5.

Poor effort in the first half. Great defense in the second. I though most of their made baskets in the second half were well contested.

Williams needs to get quicker in his decision making on offense. The ball is consistently getting stuck in his hand when he faces up and dribbles.

Unfortunately Williams also had his poorest ever defensive game tonight. I expect he’ll be better in every facet on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    5)Kispert out injured, bench got quite a bit shorter w/ Norvell moving into the starting lineup
    bench got shorter by one player if that's what quite a bit means, Jones played 10 Rui 15 and Larsen 9...still 8 in the rotation, and the player that moved in matured before our eyes and filled in quite nicely

Their shooting in 1st half were too good, I don't think Zags defense were bad.
    Japanese fan

Creigton and Villanova have my 2 favorite coaches

58% first half 38% second half to keep streak alive ....48% for game

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Agree
    Agree
    Love it
    A little hatsh to call JWill a no show. 15 and 5.

Poor effort in the first half. Great defense in the second. I though most of their made baskets in the second half were well contested.
    23, absolutely right. I shouldn't have called it that. I guess very slow start would be more appropriate.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

What a turn around by Norvelle. He looked like a chucker out of the offense in the first half. Second half, he's moving, he's driving, playing D, grabbing rebounds, and suddenly he can't miss.

I like that we can find guys to step up and win when we have a starter down, Perk just completely out of it (though he was blanketed and that frustrated him badly, still should have handled it better). JWIII having a bad first half

Down 7 at home to a team that looked better in every area of the game

And they come out and go on a 112-3 run, that was amazing mental toughness.

Team keeps showing me things that surprise me. I'm not surprised we won, definitely surprised how we won. I think Creighton can win a lot of games this year, too.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Zags showed they can win in different ways, different matchups can run the day depending. Thomas puts the clamps on everyone he defends, and Josh's numbers weren't great though I still thought he managed the game pretty well, more old school point guard and excellent defending, even with 5 TOs. But other matchups went off and carried the day easily, even without Josh scoring big
    I think it's an awesome sign
    halftime change of Zach stepping out defensively changed game imo; Jays brutalized him in the first half and that was not available after halftime

It should be noted that Jeremy Jones put in a solid 10 mins, he's not flashy but he's not a liability either. The bench though short, was so good that Kispert's mins were covered nicely. esp after Norvell's "check engine" light came on.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Zach. I thought he did a great job as a shooter. When missing, keep shooting until you start making. Fun game to watch. Both teams have great shooters. Also great games by Tillie and Melson. With good games by the rest of the team

This game was a blueprint for disrupting Josh and JW3's game, it's good we have the balance to overcome them having off games.

-JW3 needs to shoot 10' jumpers if guys are going to play that far off of him when he faces up. Otherwise, offensive fouls will keep him out of games
    -Norvell has absolutely no conscience
    -Rui quietly gets tough rebounds, makes tough baskets inside, and can stop guys cold when he is one-on-one defense
    -Tillie needs to slow down a bit or he's going to be a lottery pick
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

Thomas has 6’10” wing span .....could explain some of Perkins problems

For one half, Norvell looked like the player we hoped to see. He has a bright future in a Zag uniform.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Rui is making a case for needing much more PT

Just the rebounding difference he makes is huge
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default Gonzaga vs Creighton Post Game thoughts and analysis

Zags 91
    Creighton 74

Zags have a huge second half scoring 54 points on 62% shooting. They looked how I thought they would look tonight but it took them a half to find themselves. Norvell had 21 points in the second half and made 4 threes. He looked really good that 2nd half and I hope he continues to find his shot and his confidence. Tillie actually led the Zags in scoring with 22 points, and also had an absolutely great game. He threw one down with absolute power. He also played defense blocking 4 shots. Finally, Melson had 21 also scoring fifteen in the first half, as he and Tillie held the Zags together in the first half as no one but them could really find the center of the basket. It was a career night in scoring for all three of these Zags.

The Zags shot 54.4% for the game, and made ten threes while shooting 0% from behind the 3 point line. They shot 76% from the foul line. A good night shooting, especially since they shot so poorly the first half. I think that beating Creighton by 17 points is pretty darn good. I wasn't too far off in my prediction as I thought that they'd win by 14. You have to give a team 7 to 8 points just for playing at home. Creighton looked really good, especially in the first half as they couldn't miss from behind the 3 point line. Few must have gotten on them at half time because they played much better D in the second half. Creighton had 46 at the half. So Gonzaga held them to 28 points in the second half. Great game Zags.

Go Zags20
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Creigton and Villanova have my 2 favorite coaches

58% first half 38% second half to keep streak alive ....48% for game
    You mean your second and third favorite coaches? Behind your favorite... Mark Few.

Three highlights of this game for me:
    1) Tillie showing some alpha male mentality, toughness and nastiness.
    2) Silas w career high in points and best shooting night of his career! I’m thinking this performance may help him turn the corner and become the consistent scorer & shooter that he.
    3) Norvell’s 2nd half was like watching it all come together for him...everything!

I’d still like to see JWIII playing alongside Larsen more often. He’s a power forward and looks uncomfortable when asked to post up down low and make something happen.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    And we still won by almost 20 against a top 25 ranked team. We're so deep and talented. I said it in another thread and took a lot of flak for it, but ZN is a better Gary Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    And we still won by almost 20 against a top 25 ranked team. We're so deep and talented. I said it in another thread and took a lot of flak for it, but ZN is a better Gary Bell.
    Uhhh, no...can’t say that at this point.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Zags 91
    Creighton 74

Zags have a huge second half scoring 54 points on 62% shooting. They looked how I thought they would look tonight but it took them a half to find themselves. Norvell had 21 points in the second half and made 4 threes. He looked really good that 2nd half and I hope he continues to find his shot and his confidence. Tillie actually led the Zags in scoring with 22 points, and also had an absolutely great game. He threw one down with absolute power. He also played defense blocking 4 shots. Finally, Melson had 21 also scoring fifteen in the first half, as he and Tillie held the Zags together in the first half as no one but them could really find the center of the basket. It was a career night in scoring for all three of these Zags.

The Zags shot 54.4% for the game, and made ten threes while shooting 0% from behind the 3 point line. They shot 76% from the foul line. A good night shooting, especially since they shot so poorly the first half. I think that beating Creighton by 17 points is pretty darn good. I wasn't too far off in my prediction as I thought that they'd win by 14. You have to give a team 7 to 8 points just for playing at home. Creighton looked really good, especially in the first half as they couldn't miss from behind the 3 point line. Few must have gotten on them at half time because they played much better D in the second half. Creighton had 46 at the half. So Gonzaga held them to 28 points in the second half. Great game Zags.

Go Zags20

ps I will no longer bust my butt to get a thread up right after the game just to see someone else has posted it. Congrats SWZag. This thread is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    You mean your second and third favorite coaches? Behind your favorite... Mark Few.
    Yep

The KC really really needs to start saying Tillie Tillie every time he scores.

That being said. Norvell just plain made a believer out of me in the second half. Also, great stat thrown up on ESPN... Rui... is up to I think 15 FT in a row.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death