Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: We got any ballers in here?

Not me as I was a wrestler and baseball player at a small college back in the disco era. Not a hooper although I love playing. My little brother played at U of W for Harshman. He was 7th or 8th man during his time there. I think he could have played at GU in the early eighties for sure, maybe today but I don't think he'd be too high up in the rotation.

520 kids in my high school graduation class so I can say I played varsity at a big school. Three players from my class played college ball. One as a Division One walk-on.

I attended a couple of camps at GU and as a soon to be 9th grader played three on three with some GU players. Some guy named Stockton was on my team. We won. He was the best player I had ever seen in person, let alone play with.

No way I play at GU.

But I do get to coach AAU hoops and love it.

Go Zags!!!!

I always marveled at how the best players in the HS BBall league would go to a mid level D1 team and look so average. We had those who were stars, leapers, quick, always found the hoop.........and then average or less when they joined a D1 team. Always astounded me but the best of the best make it to D1. It's a pretty rare bird who excels in D1.

D1 kids are the best of their HS. In GU's case, most were spectacular in HS. I doubt any of us could serious compete at GU. Few's a superior coach. He never played in college. Who knows how did at Creswell, Ore. But he understands the game.

Great thread WooHoo. Nice job! A lot of fun.

Played university ball in Canada in mid 80s. Had a few options overseas for pro contracts but opted for grad school. Impossible to say regarding walking on today as it's a different world. The kids today are so much more physically gifted and most are incredibly talented. A guy like Triano would have probably lit up the same league I lit up, but it's still seems unrealistic that a younger version of me could have walked on to this amazing program.

Was a decent Division II player.. the confident guy in me thinks he could have walked on at least for GU. That i will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I always marveled at how the best players in the HS BBall league would go to a mid level D1 team and look so average. We had those who were stars, leapers, quick, always found the hoop.........and then average or less when they joined a D1 team. Always astounded me but the best of the best make it to D1. It's a pretty rare bird who excels in D1.

D1 kids are the best of their HS. In GU's case, most were spectacular in HS. I doubt any of us could serious compete at GU. Few's a superior coach. He never played in college. Who knows how did at Creswell, Ore. But he understands the game.

Great thread WooHoo. Nice job! A lot of fun.

Yes! Exactly. I remember 3-4 years ago, there was a TON of buzz here locally around a HS kid named Cullen VanLeer. His played for his dad, who was a FIERY coach for one of our conference rivals, the Pacific Tigers. Anyway, Cullen was straight up MURDERING everyone on the court. I hadn't seen a HS game in years, but I decided to attend the game in which my alma mater was playing against VanLeer and the Tigers. At one point, he went off and scored on like 6 straight possessions, all while being double and often triple teamed. Straight up, he took them on a visit to MurderTown Central, and he was the mayor. He had an unbelievable high school career.

SO....he ends up going to Mizzou, and he's now a junior and averages 4 points per game. Keep in mind, ESPECIALLY up until this year, Mizzou absolutely blew goats. But it's interesting, nobody could touch the kid in high school, yet he's a mediocre-AT BEST D1 player, who I personally think would have not even been a shoe-in to walk on at GU...
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

While I was never much of a playa—- like many on this board my coaching skills are top notch. I stand at the ready to brainstorm with Few, Tommy etc. about topics like rotations, substitutions, recruiting ... you name it. Just waiting for the call. Still.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    While I was never much of a playa—- like many on this board my coaching skills are top notch. I stand at the ready to brainstorm with Few, Tommy etc. about topics like rotations, substitutions, recruiting ... you name it. Just waiting for the call. Still.

on playing with pros and collegiates, at the Berkeley RSF way back when it used to happen. Got to run with KJ and it was incredible. Manute Bol was the coolest though. One time he showed up, blocked everyone's shot, then pulled up from half court or darn near and made it to win the game, the only shot he took

Baseball was definitely my sport. I was a really good long range good shooter in basketball but my handle was just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Good news! Stephen Gentry remembered who you were when I passed on your "hello." Maybe that incoming call is closer than you think.

I played college in Canada for a small school. I was a very athletic 6'4" guard/small forward, no problem dunking, above average on D, a great slasher and could get to the hoop and finish. On the other hand, I couldn't shoot a jumper to save my life, especially from 3. So no, not a DI talent at all, especially in a system like GU and Mark Few run.

I was all conference back in the 60's, led the league in scoring, set a school scoring record but only an A school. Played on a small college Freshmen team. Back then there was no 3 point line, no shot clock, no dunking and freshmen couldn't play varsity. way different game for sure. even the zag's walk-on's are way better than I ever even dreamed of being.

Definitely not me! I was a late bloomer. 5'8" & 120 as a senior in hs at a N Idaho A2 school. I realized I could jump though, and long jumped and triple jumped my jr and sr years. Discovered I could dunk, while playing in the gym at noon my sr year. Went on to place 6th in state in both track events, but never was good enough to play organized b-ball with all my buddies. Only 3 other kids in the hs could dunk (all 6'3 to 6'6), so that was fun. I made it to 5'91/2 at age 20, but now I'm back to 5'9 and, well, a "little" more than 120 . I'm 55 now and still touch the rim (barely) I could have been a good rotation player on to my highschool team now!

Was a good in street ball and rec leagues, but definitely not college-level...