Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: We got any ballers in here?

Question We got any ballers in here?

So I know that about 75% of posters feel that they know more about basketball/recruiting than our coaching staff (LOLZ), but I have a serious question for you.

Back in your PRIME, do you think you could have ever played for/walked-on at Gonzaga? (I know we have at least 1 former zag on here, hi Reborn). How bout the rest of us?
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    So I know that about 75% of posters feel that they know more about basketball/recruiting than our coaching staff (LOLZ), but I have a serious question for you.

Back in your PRIME, do you think you could have ever played for/walked-on at Gonzaga? (I know we have at least 1 former zag on here, hi Reborn). How bout the rest of us?

I'll go first and answer the question about myself.

No.

.......my HS graduating class had 14 so everyone that wanted to play played .....well.... after high school we used to play pick up games at the Y during the winter...Reborn might remember the McDonald boys.... our shooting guard was a kid named Ron Santo who I understand played some third base during the summer...Gonzaga,..... no way but my roommate played....I played intermural at Gonzaga....too short....too young....too small....too slow....

I am one of the 25% that think the coaches know what they are doing...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 11-28-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Nope. I walked on to my 8th grade basketball team and got cut
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Only in my dreams...................Played for a High School with a Senior class of 26 (yes 26 in the graduating class) We were good though. Lost the A-4 Idaho State Championship by 3 points. The Glory Days......Aaah.....

I'm a lifelong hooper, played 3rd grade through high school, and then in some very competitive rec leagues for the last decade. Basketball is my passion.

That being said, I was usually the last starter, or maybe first off the bench...

Quote Originally Posted by zagnut2012 View Post
    Only in my dreams...................Played for a High School with a Senior class of 26 (yes 26 in the graduating class) We were good though. Lost the A-4 Idaho State Championship by 3 points. The Glory Days......Aaah.....
    Wow! That's awesome!

Also, 26? Wow. I bet your high school dances were SUPER exciting.

Yes. And that's all you'll get from me.

Me neither. I made it as far as JV in HS.

Having said that, over the past 50 years, I've watched thousands upon thousands of basketball games. Enough to speak somewhat intelligently about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Yes. And that's all you'll get from me.
    Hmmm....

This is interesting...

I have a point guard body (at least I did in the day) and a power forward game.

I had good vertical back in the day... could grab the rim and I was 6ft tall... now my vertical might be about 3-4 inches.

My three pointer is far better now than it was back in the day. Funny thing is when I play in over-40 leagues I get slapped down low... which I am more than OK with... got plenty of weight to throw in the paint now.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by zagnut2012 View Post
    I wish my son was enrolled at a small school like that. Shoot, 80 boys tried out for his freshman team last year.

Our school's too big IMO: for example, in football we have varsity, two JV, and two freshman teams. Programs like Allen (the school with the $60 million stadium, enrollment 6000+) have roughly 400+ playing.

Nope. If you saw me shoot around in an open gym you would think possibly. However as soon as somebody starts playing a little defense I've got nothing.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

All Brooklyn playground .... at least the one I played in. Ran with some pretty good players, the Mullins, the Dunleavys, lots of hard nose NYC point guards who played collegiately all around the country. But I could only shoot; the banker. Both sons played D1 if that matters.......

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I wish my son was enrolled at a small school like that. Shoot, 80 boys tried out for his freshman team last year.

Our school's too big IMO: for example, in football we have varsity, two JV, and two freshman teams. Programs like Allen (the school with the $60 million stadium, enrollment 6000+) have roughly 400+ playing.
    What school does your son attend? My cousins went to Southlake Carroll. I couldn't believe their stadium!
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    All Brooklyn playground .... at least the one I played in. Ran with some pretty good players, the Mullins, the Dunleavys, lots of hard nose NYC point guards who played collegiately all around the country. But I could only shoot; the banker. Both sons played D1 if that matters.......
    Some of the best basketball played is on the streets. Oakland was my playground.

I played through high school, small college ball in MN and one year overseas (England)...but emphatically NO. Zero chance I could have ever played at GU. I still play on Friday's with a bunch of (much younger) middle school teachers. I can still shoot it a bit and get to the rim some, but lost my hops and my first step isn't quite what it used to be! hah hah!

My son is pretty good...just a fifth grader, but he already handles the ball better than I ever did. Amazing how quickly these young kids develop now.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    What school does your son attend? My cousins went to Southlake Carroll. I couldn't believe their stadium!
    Coppell...no love lost between those two schools...lol.

No way was a pounder and bruiser in high school with good inside game and decent mid range game......undersized center.........have a picture of Christian Welp dunking (hard dunk) and me simply looking up the net to see ball coming down on my face hard...........

Played thru high school varsity all four years (3 year starter) but baseball was my bread and butter

Coached at Odea and Eastside Catholic and Seattle Addidas summer team with kids that could have played for Zags

Son was All state but not caliber of zag level

Just starting my move to the DARK SIDE....completed my refereeing apprenticeship awaiting my first high school game to ref in..........oh my
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Some of the best basketball played is on the streets. Oakland was my playground.
    McClymonds kids?

No way.

The closest I can come is that I was fairly good friends with a couple guys who were on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I have a point guard body (at least I did in the day) and a power forward game.
    This is roughly how I described my game, except less athletic. 5'10" and was excellent at rebounding, relative to my size. Played acceptable defense. Couldn't shoot or dribble worth a lick. If I'd showed up to try out for my high school team (school size of roughly 1600), they would've laughed at me.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I made the x-country team.

No way I would make it now, though. The team is tons better then when I was there.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I think I would have had a shot at walking on. I played AAU with Morrie starting in the third grade, and was the shooting guard who played alongside him at Mead. One of us holds the all-time three point record (career) for Mead High School, and his name is not Adam. I think I could have shot my way onto the team. I miss those days...
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift..."

--Steve Prefontaine--

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    McClymonds kids?
    Remember when you took the SAT and you reached a point when your brain just ran out of corpuscles?

That's how I knew I had reached max return on my game. Nate Williams. Sheesh.