• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kclubfounder
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2007

WSU VS UW

I was very disappointed when we unceremoniously dropped WSU. It ticked me off because they played us during many a year when we SUCKED and they were a legitimate Pac 8, then Pac 10, then Pac 12 team. I get all the arguments for dropping them from the schedule. But LOYALTY ought to mean something. And they were loyal to the series. They played us AT Gonzaga in years when they were pretty damn good and we SUCKED.

Anyway, I voiced my complaints when this series was terminated by Gonzaga.

But because the UW is SUCKING just like they have been for years, I figured I'd complain again because WSU is happening to have a damn impressive season in the year that we arrogantly (in my opinion) dropped them from our schedule.

But hey, GREAT job in Portland. I LOVE our team. I just wish we were playing WSU this year. I certainly wish we were playing WSU more than playing the F'ing puppies.
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Their record is a bit misleading at this point, kcf.

And they played the Zags before RPI was a big deal. It was Kelvin Sampson who dropped the Zags when the Zags started getting competive & he couldn't rack up an automatic W.

JMO.
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagNut08
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

If the WCC didn’t add bottom feeding Pacific we would have 2 more out of conference games. With the expanded conference schedule it is more important than ever to maximize RPI in the OOC

Comment

• Ezag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Why would they want to play the team that is supposed to finish 2nd in the WCC?

Comment

• 509er
          Kennel Club Material
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
          Their record is a bit misleading at this point, kcf.

And they played the Zags before RPI was a big deal. It was Kelvin Sampson who dropped the Zags when the Zags started getting competive & he couldn't rack up an automatic W.

JMO.
          So what’s the cutoff RPI wise that WSU is “worthy” of playing GU? Top 100? Top 75? You’d think there would be a bit of a hometown discount considering history, how many season ticket holders like this game, the ability for Zag fans to see a live game in Pullman that have a hard time getting in the kennel etc. I think the Cougs will have everyone back next year except their grad transfer so I could see them cracking top 100 for sure. They certainly are every bit as good as uw this year.

Personally I also think there was a little FU going on between Roth and Few vs Moos and Ernie from their Oregon years when they probably tried to get a home and Home. Speaking of Oregon, that would be a good series.

Comment

• bigblahla
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Yeah nothing like seeing the faux Zag fans wearing their crimson and grey in the kennel when WSU played there....no value in playing WSU unless it is Wichita State University...

Just my opinion..

Go!! Zags!!!
            "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• Robzagnut
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

No interest in playing WSU any more. UW makes much more sense because of the Seattle market and Seattle area players.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Agree ---- worth playing UW for the Seattle area market exposure.

Also open to playing WSU in the arena every year or in Mac every year.

Comment

• GoZags
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I have zero problems with “Kelvin Sampson-ing” the Kewgs.
                  sigpic
                  “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                  ——-
                  List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                  Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Coug Tracks
                    Kennel Club
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                    I have zero problems with “Kelvin Sampson-ing” the Kewgs.
                    This series should stay in the past IMHO but you are conveniently forgetting Raveling played GU for years with absolutely nothing to gain.

Comment

• GoZags
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Coug Tracks View Post
                      This series should stay in the past IMHO but you are conveniently forgetting Raveling played GU for years with absolutely nothing to gain.
                      Good point. There weren't any WSU supporters at those games that were played in the Coliseum ..... thus "absolutely nothing to gain".
                      sigpic
                      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                      ——-
                      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• sittingon50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Coug Tracks View Post
                        Except a W.
                        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• 509er
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Robzagnut View Post
                          No interest in playing WSU any more. UW makes much more sense because of the Seattle market and Seattle area players.
                          To this end, I don't really see what uw has to gain by playing the Zags. It will be interesting how their new coach looks at the series but I wouldn't be surprised to see them cancel it. Personally I'd like to see them play both Pac12 schools and EWU and Idaho has well but there aren't enough OOC games on the schedule to accommodate everyone. No way is WSU going to agree to a MAC only series but EWU or Idaho might. I think most of the ticket holders would rather see GU vs EWU than GU vs Incartanate World.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 509er View Post
                            To this end, I don't really see what uw has to gain by playing the Zags. It will be interesting how their new coach looks at the series but I wouldn't be surprised to see them cancel it. Personally I'd like to see them play both Pac12 schools and EWU and Idaho has well but there aren't enough OOC games on the schedule to accommodate everyone. No way is WSU going to agree to a MAC only series but EWU or Idaho might. I think most of the ticket holders would rather see GU vs EWU than GU vs Incartanate World.
                            but a game against any regional opponent carries much more risk...it would be their superbowl. for teams like TS/howard/IW it is just another game they're getting paid to get their butt kicked...

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

I hope Hopkins will keep the UW-GU series going. He is whipping the huskies into a team, as every game this season has shown a palpable improvement. They are actually playing as a team, and he is creating the Syracuse zone defensive machine. From what I can see the players are really buying into it. Hopkins will not have the inner city magic that Romar had and the UW series will give zags a larger presence in the Puget Sound media. Besides Romar had specific reasons for dropping us which Hopkins does not have and he is used to tough schedules. We are going to see a more competitive UW basketball program than the last few years.
                              I would also love to see us play WSU or anybody in the Spokane arena or Key Arena (revive the Battle in Seattle) so non season ticket holders could get a chance to see the zags in person.

Comment

Working...
                              X