Playing to not lose is a kryptonite for Zags.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zags11
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Playing to not lose is a kryptonite for Zags.

Its obviously on the coaching staff. Its been this way for ages. Take the foot off the gas and try to kill clock. Then eventually certain teams will make a push and the team crumbles.

It isn't the players. Its few and company.

I'm not trying to start a fire but why do they do this?

Just kill the snake. Don't keep poking it.
  • Zags11
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

It really is Few's kryptonite. It is one of his few weaknesses. It doesn't matter as he wins 80+% but when this happens its pretty poor.

Take foot off the pedal, try to burn clock and it costs you.

Comment

• JAGzag
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

Wonder if it’s team dependent. I don’t remember feeling this last year...but yes, it’s been an issue going back YEARS it seems.

Comment

• tyra
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I see it a little differently. I think our implosion was the result of a combination of a ridiculous level of turnovers and the effectiveness of the Texas full court press. The latter initially resulted in two quick turnovers and none thereafter but by then it had completely taken GU out of its game.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

Isn't playing to not lose, playing to win? LOL I think you meant playing not to lose.

Comment

• Zagcity
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by tyra View Post
            I see it a little differently. I think our implosion was the result of a combination of a ridiculous level of turnovers and the effectiveness of the Texas full court press. The latter initially resulted in two quick turnovers and none thereafter but by then it had completely taken GU out of its game.
            May be try JJones as the inbounder, he's the one with height and a quarter backs arm. Just a thought...

Comment

• GrizZAG
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2009

It was like: Ok stop playing aggressively now, lets coast and let the other team in the door. That's what makes the elite teams what they are, they play damn hard right till the buzzer. Our history of playing not to lose has cost us many games over the years. And again, why the H### pull Rui late? He was on fire.
              One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagcity View Post
                May be try JJones as the inbounder, he's the one with height and a quarter backs arm. Just a thought...
                Not a bad idea.

At this stage of the season, the inbounder has yet to surface. What about J3? You don't have to worry about being fouled from that position.

Comment

• zagzilla
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I didn't see any taking foot off gas in the play calling. I saw us struggle vs press and on ball defense which does work vs GU consistently over the years. Hoped we solved it last year beating X, Press Virginia and S Carolina. Guess not.

Expect 'Nova to try us vs pressure too. Gotta coach em up

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagzilla View Post
                    I didn't see any taking foot off gas in the play calling. I saw us struggle vs press and on ball defense which does work vs GU consistently over the years. Hoped we solved it last year beating X, Press Virginia and S Carolina. Guess not.

With a lead and 5 minutes left, we more often not pound the air outta the ball, running down the shot clock, instead of running our normal offense. That's playing not to lose.

Comment

• Zag_Dad
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2013

Agree

Comment

• 2wiceright
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Dec 2007

BINGO!!!!
                        "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
                        -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• 2wiceright
                          Bleeds GU Blue
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                          With a lead and 5 minutes left, we more often not pound the air outta the ball, running down the shot clock, instead of running our normal offense. That's playing not to lose.
                          I saw it as just under 3 minutes trying to run the clock down, and get into our set at about 10 seconds. That's usually how it's done, minus the turnovers...W/out the turnovers - no overtime... JMO...
                          "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
                          -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• bartruff1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

I don't think there is anything unusual about losing a 20 point lead against a team when there is a single digit spread.

Against a team with a 20 point spread.....it is probably unusual to lose a lead.

I have never seen a statistic on those situations but I suspect Gonzaga is about average or better at winning games after losing a 20 point lead to a team of comparable skill. It is just the law of averages.

In order to have a 20 point lead on a similar team you have to play better than average or they have to play worse, so it is no surprise when averages work out by the end of the game. Gonzaga was favored by 3...so is it a surprise that in the end, the game was close....

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Jul 2007

Is it possible that we don't actually "take our foot off the gas" any more than any other team?

Could it be that, on average, it's simply that we build more big leads than most teams, and therefore (obviously) blow more?

And could it be that we don't notice/worry about the big leads we DON'T blow ... and that therefore, it's just our perception that we "take our foot off the gas?"

Comment

Working...
                              X