Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moment too big for the bench

Default Moment too big for the bench

Just think what this team will be 3 months from now. Rui and Larsen were ok and Norvell was not. Great learning experience for these guys. Now they know what big time college basketball is. On the other hand, I would put our starting 5 up against anybody in the country right now. This is easily an elite 8 team at worst.

5 points from the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    5 points from the bench
    Norvell incredibly disappointing thus far.

Forces everything, unsure of his role, and doesn't bring anything to the floor but untimely shots, out of control drives, and selfish plays....

Pretty much the exact opposite of a bench player's role.

Watch the game, let it come to you, find your niche, then do you.

Not try to go off.

He is rushing everything.

Hope he figures it out. This team really needs a scoring punch off the bench.

Norvell was off. Would have preferred trying Larsen at center with Williams as pf in second OT, but we've got fee months to figure it out. We sure looked better than a 17 team.

Kispert was terrible on defense in several crucial possessions this game. I realize now this comment may be OT, because he's a starter, but I needed to point this out somewhere.

Ugh, was about to post the same. Last year we came in waves thanks in large part to our lottery pick 6th man. This year we’ve got bench guys with hype but a ways to go. I’m really hoping Rui isn’t Bol. I thought he’d show us more by now but Few and the coaches know of what they spreak when they say he’s a year away, which will be a shame since we could be FF good with a credible bench.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    Ugh, was about to post the same. Last year we came in waves thanks in large part to our lottery pick 6th man. This year we’ve got bench guys with hype but a ways to go. I’m really hoping Rui isn’t Bol. I thought he’d show us more by now but Few and the coaches know of what they spreak when they say he’s a year away, which will be a shame since we could be FF good with a credible bench.
    Give him a little more time. I actually think he’s starting to get it a little bit. He did have 8 boards tonight if nothing else.

The team that GU put out in the 2nd OT was not a NCAA tournament caliber team. At least at this stage. I hate to put too much on the kid, but Melson's failure to hit that foul shot or connect on that three did GU in.

The biggest problem is not having a backup for Perkins. Silas is NOT a point guard. Never will be. He is a 100%, pure shooting guard. Wade would've been eaten up alive tonight. Josh is just going to have to learn to be super careful to not commit fouls. And not get injured. I feel we would've won that game if Josh hadn't fouled out.

I have a feeling than Silas will work like crazy on his game. He’s a guy who digs in. I hope he doesn't go into a mental tailspin because of last night’s mistakes. Florida’s a good team and we still have a number of green players. I wish we could have filled the available scholarship with a grad transfer. We are going to struggle for a few months.
    Parlez-vous français?

Why is Few skating? What TF was that end of game play? Why hasn’t he developed or recruited a backup PG? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Why is Few skating? What TF was that end of game play? Why hasn’t he developed or recruited a backup PG? Just asking.
    i'm guessing wade was supposed to be the back up pg...but a lot of teams, even great ones, only have one guy who can truly play the point for extended minutes (last year, unc sucked without berry)
    you've picked the dukies to beat florida and they only have one pg...they also suck when allen has to play point.
    i doubt few drew up the play to have melson hold the ball and heave up a prayer.

I think the potential on this team is amazing and 9 deep.... the upside is scary good....they will get plenty of minutes against the WCC....

The season is early. The Zags played great, imo. Melson didn't play his best game. But neither did Koulechov (Maybe Florida's best player. He sopred only 4 pts. Melson scored 12). It's a team game and the TEAM played great. AS I said losing Josh and Tillie really hurt Gonzaga at this time of year. Our bench will get better. A top 4 team in the polls will expose the youth of our team. The bench is so inexperienced. It showed last night. A great team like Florida will expose the inexperience of our first year players. They will learn and then get better. They will either learn or they won't play all that much. It was easy to see that all these guys on the bench have a long way to go. That's okay with me. They have a long time to get it all right. Few did recruit a very good guard to be the backup. Jesse Wade is hurt. You can't blame Few for that.

Go Zags111
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

He has won so much he is tired of winning....

Let's chill. We're 5 games in. Norvell hadn't played competitive games in quite some time. Being effective as a bench player is harder than doing so as a starter. Enjoy the ride, friends.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Last night's game is the reason for the pre-season................

Agree with all comments, save the Few skating, especially the time of the season. IT"S SO EARLY.............

This game magnifies what the team needs to work on, especially the current lack of depth on the bench. Perkins is fine, is our only true point guard, and played a great game against another elite PG. Tillie is a star in the making, and J3 is simply a beast. Kispert is a frosh, and this was his initial dip in the pool of elite opponents to be faced this year. He will be fine, just continue to give him minutes because the more times he is in situations like this, the better for March. Melson is fine, played a great game as well. Not sure what happened on the final play in regulation, and I bet no one feels worse about the missed FT in the first OT. Great learning experiences for all the guys..........

I know it's early, but not too early to remind everyone that the season is about March, not November. This was a GREAT college basketball game, too bad one team had to lose.

Go ZAGS

Great point guards aren't walking around with"Will shoot for Food" signs....they are a rare breed. Silas will be ok....Josh really has to be careful as teams will go after him. I think Wade will get minutes in conference....and hopefully get healthier and more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Let's chill. We're 5 games in. Norvell hadn't played competitive games in quite some time. Being effective as a bench player is harder than doing so as a starter. Enjoy the ride, friends.
    So true...Norvell is a good athlete and long...just needs more time.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    +1
    Bring back the OCC

That was an incredible game last night - against a high-caliber opponent. I was actually really impressed with the way GU handled themselves - hit several huge clutch shots (including Silas' drive that got him to the free throw line at the end of the first OT). To stay on topic, Norvell does look like he is rushing - I'm hoping he settles down, but I do like watching him in the open floor. I think he will be really good once he gets a little confidence. And Rui needs to find the middle ground between last year (just putting his head down and taking it to the hoop) and this year (playing within the system and just making the safe plays). Once he figures out that he is a mismatch to deal with, I believe he will be a good contributor off the bench. Larsen is also coming along well - surprised he didn't get more minutes last night.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Just think what this team will be 3 months from now. Rui and Larsen were ok and Norvell was not. Great learning experience for these guys. Now they know what big time college basketball is. On the other hand, I would put our starting 5 up against anybody in the country right now. This is easily an elite 8 team at worst.
    Fully agree with the needed learning experience.

-Rui
    -Larsen
    -Norvell
    -Kispert

Games vs Texas, Nova, Creighton, SMC, they'll all be good for these guys for March.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

And Rui needs to find the middle ground between last year (just putting his head down and taking it to the hoop) and this year (playing within the system and just making the safe plays). Once he figures out that he is a mismatch to deal with,
    Couldn’t agree with this more. Was saying that exact thing last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Fully agree with the needed learning experience.

-Rui
    -Larsen
    -Norvell
    -Kispert

Games vs Texas, Nova, Creighton, SMC, they'll all be good for these guys for March.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The team that GU put out in the 2nd OT was not a NCAA tournament caliber team. At least at this stage. I hate to put too much on the kid, but Melson's failure to hit that foul shot or connect on that three did GU in.

The biggest problem is not having a backup for Perkins. Silas is NOT a point guard. Never will be. He is a 100%, pure shooting guard. Wade would've been eaten up alive tonight. Josh is just going to have to learn to be super careful to not commit fouls. And not get injured. I feel we would've won that game if Josh hadn't fouled out.
    He’s “shooting” a pure 35% from the field.

He’s “shooting” a pure 35% from the field.
    Just can’t help yourself can you? You do see Melson’s contributions to this team right?