Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post game thoughts vs florida

The only thing that I'm mad about is this very late games are killing me. I was up until 2:30 for two nights in a row and had to get up at 7:45 for work both mornings. Regarding the game, I'm not even mad, it was a amazing game, had the feel of a FF game. They made some incredible shots, plain and simple, their guards were on fire last night. JWIII may be first team AA this year and Perks 2nd or 3rd team. Two top 10 teams went head to head last night. Look at the box score:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400999724

FLA 13 off the bench, Zag's 5, difference 8, margin 6. Not THE factor but A factor.

SEC recount? Florida, not Kentucky, looks like league's best after Gonzaga win

Florida, however, fought off a team that had a shot to win the national title last season, a Gonzaga group that appears to be good enough to make another run.

On Friday, the Gators ignored the crowd and matched every Gonzaga shot until they pulled away in the second overtime. It was the best game of a tournament that featured an overtime bout between Duke and Texas earlier in the day.

The Gators also ended Friday's game with a statement victory no team in the SEC (and beyond) should dismiss.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebask...er-gonzaga-win

Well, if it as any consolation, this was a "statement win" for Florida- at least according to one guy...

Thumbs up

Let's beat Texas and rise in the polls!

Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
    Let's be honest. This is the Silas Melson Game. He had three chances to win it and he failed thrice. It's not unprecedented; Stepp had three shots to win it in the '03 2 OT classic vs Arizona and failed thrice.
    Thanks for putting it into perspective, PP.

It gave the coaches plenty to go on.

Walking in Portland this morning and people are stopping to congratulate the Zags (I am wearing a Bulldog sweatshirt). Getting lots of compliments and a Gator suggests we’ll be playing each other again in March. Lots of respect earned by a team who most didn’t know about in terms of our newish personnel just 2 weeks ago... beat Texas.

One heck of a great entertaining game. Wow. Two overtimes. Zags certainly could have won. Honestly, as good as Florida played, Gonzaga played every bit as good. Tied. as good as Hudson played, Williams played equally well if not better. As good as Chiozza played, I felt Josh played equally well. Josh was as unstoppable as Chiozza was. Josh played a GREAT second half hitting one clutch shot after another. One difference in the game was that Josh fouled out and Chiozza didn't. AS good as Florida's starting five is, Zags starting five out scored theirs. IMO Zags played absolutely great.

last night's game for me was a game that would tell me how GOOD Gonzaga is this year, and imo they're GREAT. IMO a top ten team. I enjoyed almost everything about the game. That was a good team. A VERY GOOD offensive team who also plays pretty tough D. At the end of regulation time, the game was tied 78 all. That is a really good score for both of these teams. I figured the game would be played in high seventies or low eighties because both of these teams are very good teams. I knew Florida's guards could shoot, and especially Hudson. Florida could have scored 130 against Stanford on Thursday night. True. They took their starters out with 8 minutes to go in the game. AS much as the media will say about Hudson they would have said just as much about JW3's game. He was also unstoppable, until Josh fouled out and then they triple-teamed him.

Of course I wish we would have won, but this was just as much a game we won as it was a game we lost. Zags played neck and neck with a team who will be in the top 4 this coming week in the polls. I'd have to say that's pretty good for the Zags. Zags had every bit of mental toughness and will to win as Florida had. As I said there was only one difference. Josh and Tillie fouled out. I almost forgot about Tillie fouling out. He fouled out in regulation time. KIspert played great. I would have had him taking the final 3 point shots instead of Melson. Melson was off the entire game. In fact Kispert did hit a 3 when the game was really over. My heart goes out to Melson. I've had that same thing happen to me and I think most players do. I know it hurts. Try to get over it quickly Josh because you ARE much better than that. One suggestion for Josh. Look at game film and take a look at your outside shot. You are NOT snapping your wrist and following through and making a parachute with your hand. Your shot is all arm. I also feel bad for the whole team because they played great and gave it 100% and lost in double overtime. Nothing to hang your head about. Yet I do know how it hurts, but damn, stay positive and keep believing in yourselves and your team. The team is young. We all knew that. It showed last night. The freshmen will improve by March. That too is a fact. I'm not worried in the least. The season is very very early. This loss will help us maybe more than a win would have. Zags have a long ways to go until they become the team they will be in March. Oh and if anyone questions our leadership any more I think they should have their posts deleted. I'm tired of hearing how guys like JW3 and Perkins and Melson are not leaders. If you can't see that then you're blind

Go Zags111
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

What I saw was two top ten teams battling it out in a high level not common in November. It could have gone either way. What to take away is the young guys were in the first big time game and they made some rookie mistake that they will not come March. The future is bright.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Great game to watch...team is a work in progress...youth exposed as to experience.

JW3 unstoppable.....yet no touch in final play in regulation?

Couple of things..............

1. Why so much zone???? Not a complaint, a real question. We had the far superior front court, the only way for Florida to win was to penetrate and dish for the 3, and the zone played right into their strength. 17 3's says it all............

2. Why the Perkins questions, and cry for a backup PG???? This was a S16 or E8 caliber opponent/game, and in those games the starting PG plays 38+ minutes in regulation. Look at the Gator PG, he could barely walk and came back in with less than a minute left in the 2nd OT. Too bad Josh fouled out in OT, Tillie too, but that is a different discussion. The Gator PG was a LOAD, and Josh played him really well on both ends of the floor.

I hated to lose this game, but there were many more positives than negatives. The season is about March, not November. Beat Texas, get 3rd in the PK80, come home, get better.......

Go ZAGS

That game was unreal. It was so much fun. The crowd was almost entirely Zag fans. It was just like a home game.

From my seat, the refs made a lot of foul calls that were bs and confirmed with watching the video replay above. If you were watching on tv you probably heard a loud booing sound while Florida player was shooting. That was the reaction to the video replay. When I returned to my hotel last night I went to the lounge to grab some snacks. There were fans there from other teams. Many of them approached me and said we got jobbed by the refs.

That was one of the best games I have ever been in attendance for and it was also one of the most unsatisfying at the same time. Florida is a great team. Gonzaga was better.

ETA: I think this is the type of game that will carry us in March. I'm glad all the guys got this experience even if it didn't result in a W. Gonzaga will be a scary matchup for anyone who draws us in the tournament.

Bring back the OCC

As to #2 above. It has nothing to do with Perkins. We just simply need a backup pg for when he’s out. Somebody that can run the team and doesn’t have to play out of position. It’s just unnatural for Silas who is a true sg doing the best he can to get us in offense when Josh takes a breather.

Great game...props to FLA for pulling it out.

I think if we watch our fouls a bit more we pull it out.....That schooling that JW gave out was incredible. It was a helluva baptism for guys like Kispert...who I think needed to engage a bit more down the stretch...TOUGH kid...Hes gonna be a GREAT one. We need to keep getting as minutes as possible for RUI and Larson as well as Jones.....the lack of bench experience killed us down the stretch. This Zags team is good REAL GOOD. This team will get better.....SCARY. BEAT TEXAS!

Special Props to PERKINS....Great Job leading the charge....be really careful with you're fouls...we need ya dude!

This Texas game is REALLY important! I think a win will validate the Zags as a top ten team whereas a loss will probably keep them where they are in the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Couple of things..............

1. Why so much zone???? Not a complaint, a real question. We had the far superior front court, the only way for Florida to win was to penetrate and dish for the 3, and the zone played right into their strength. 17 3's says it all............

2. Why the Perkins questions, and cry for a backup PG???? This was a S16 or E8 caliber opponent/game, and in those games the starting PG plays 38+ minutes in regulation. Look at the Gator PG, he could barely walk and came back in with less than a minute left in the 2nd OT. Too bad Josh fouled out in OT, Tillie too, but that is a different discussion. The Gator PG was a LOAD, and Josh played him really well on both ends of the floor.

I hated to lose this game, but there were many more positives than negatives. The season is about March, not November. Beat Texas, get 3rd in the PK80, come home, get better.......

Go ZAGS
    You have to remember - the zone shut Florida down for long stretches in the first half and was very effective. I suspect the Florida coaches coached up some adjustments at half time. I see the Zags switching back and forth during games all season depending on the skill set of the teams they are facing. Just part of the in game adjustments good coaches make.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    You have to remember - the zone shut Florida down for long stretches in the first half and was very effective. I suspect the Florida coaches coached up some adjustments at half time. I see the Zags switching back and forth during games all season depending on the skill set of the teams they are facing. Just part of the in game adjustments good coaches make.
    Good point, Florida scored 58 points in the first half against Stanford in the first half and 29 points against Gonzaga in the first half.
    Bring back the OCC

I am still a bit uncertain about Larsen. He doesn't look like he has the body strength to go head-to-head in rebounding battles against major college talent. It will be interesting to see if he gets some minutes to match up against Mohamed Bamba and Dylan Osetkowski on Sunday morning. Is Larsen's knee at 100%? That brace looked mighty big and he frequently seemed a step slow during his 6 minutes last night.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Zags are better than I had anticipated. Not as good as last year but still good. I'm proud of how they played vs a talented veteran team like Florida. With Kispert, Norvell and Rui, the youngster Zags got an education they needed.

I feel for Silas, but the pressure was immense (family, hometown, the whole game, big atmosphere) on his shoulders.

Zags always lose by 6. Weird.

Best vs Texas, Sunday.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

The one thing that I would change about this game other than making free throws down the stretch is that with 0.7 seconds left to go in the 1st overtime I would like to have seen a lob to Larsen at the rim. I know that he hadn't played much last night, but with his height AND bulk advantage it's far more likely that he gets a tip in and/or gets fouled than Melson making a rushed 3. And yes, I'd rather throw it up to Larsen than JWIII in that situation because of free throws even though JWIII did a much better job in that department last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryzag View Post
    This Texas game is REALLY important! I think a win will validate the Zags as a top ten team whereas a loss will probably keep them where they are in the rankings.
    In a nutshell......and it is no given, both teams coming off great games in losses....

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    The one thing that I would change about this game other than making free throws down the stretch is that with 0.7 seconds left to go in the 1st overtime I would like to have seen a lob to Larsen at the rim. I know that he hadn't played much last night, but with his height AND bulk advantage it's far more likely that he gets a tip in and/or gets fouled than Melson making a rushed 3. And yes, I'd rather throw it up to Larsen than JWIII in that situation because of free throws even though JWIII did a much better job in that department last night.
    They ran a lob for Rui but the pass wasn’t made.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryzag View Post
    I agree Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    One thing I would change is with 8 seconds left and the ball in a tied game, how on Earth is the ball not in Perkins or JwIII (or even Kispert's) hands with 2 seconds left?

I'm not dumping on Silas, it's just that those 2 were clearly the leaders/scorers, and maybe they don't make the shot, either. But that shot must be taken by one of those two IMO.

As good as we looked, and I'm damn proud of how tough they fought through some VERY questionable officiating, and some very hot shooting, we still need a couple good wins before conference season starts or we're going to be a little nervous.

If we beat Texas, I'll be extremely proud of the group going home, b/c Texas earned their stripes taking Duke to OT. It will be considered a very good win. We need that b/c we sure can't count on beating Nova in NYC.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    The game plan for stretches seemed to be pass the ball to Hudson and drain a 3-pointer. He was hitting them from all over the court. He didn't need much room last night.