Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post game thoughts vs florida

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I will take Melson coming up short in November as opposed to Stepp coming up short in March...

We only will get better folks.

In my 19 years following the zags this may be the first time ever i wasnt even too sad after a loss. This team is going to be awesome!! they already are.
    Totally agree. I think this will be a learning moment for Silas, for the Zags. This team is going to get a high seed and destroy March.

When Perkins fouled out I was already in the bargaining stages of grief; I knew it wouldn't be likely to pull this out without a point guard on the floor. Melson fought through a tough night and made a great play at the end, but fell just short. That was a great game full of amazing individual efforts. That 5-point play was a killer. So was the foul on the 3 pointer by JW3. The foul pressure by Florida in general was crippling, and didn't help the to get called for several cheapies. There were so many deflating plays but the guys kept battling. All is still well in Zagville, but that would have been a great resume game for March.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
    Let's be honest. This is the Silas Melson Game. He had three chances to win it and he failed thrice. It's not unprecedented; Stepp had three shots to win it in the '03 2 OT classic vs Arizona and failed thrice.

Although Silas did have a poor game offensively, I don't think we should collectively overreact. It was just a bad game. He's had enough great games that we know who he is. He is a fantastic player. One of the very best.

I was was most surprised by the missed free throw because Melson has hit lots of clutch free throws in important situations to help win games. I fully expected him to make that shot to. Win the game. I will have zero concerns the next time he's in that situation.

As always, he played great defense!

Let's be honest. This is the Silas Melson Game. He had three chances to win it and he failed thrice. It's not unprecedented; Stepp had three shots to win it in the '03 2 OT classic vs Arizona and failed thrice.
    This is hard to swallow. Although Melson may not have finished it, we we're in that very position because of him. Without him, we may have not even went into double overtime. But yeah... fetch.

- I'm exhausted
    - I'm so pleased with the team effort and play. it hurts to lose, but that was classic basketball.
    - it will be the bookend to the double o.t. loss to Arizona (at least this was in November and not march)

We lost the game because Hudson played out of his mind in the second half. That’s pretty much it. The guy was on fire and it didn’t matter if there was a guy in his face or not. Gonzaga was the better “team” imo.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Then you must have eye problems... or brain problems.
    If you want to accuse me of something.......don't dance around, step up. But you're way off topic. And very inappropriate.

I think this was the Hudson game. His 3's all game were killers.

Melson made a big play to even get to the rim to tie it. That three he missed was just short of a prayer; he doesn't shoot well on the run and I'm surprised it wasn't Kispert in that spot coming to the ball.

The biggest weakness that GU has this year: they lack a backup point guard for Josh. Melson just cannot run the offense. He is a PURE shooting guard. And Wade just doesn't look ready with his lack of size, his nerve injury, being away from the game so long, etc. I knew that the only chance GU had to win it was if Melson had hit that foul shot at the end of the first OT, or if he had hit that three at the end of the first OT after the traveling call (I would've gone with Kispert on that shot, but that's just me). When GU came out for the 2nd OT, they had a lineup on the floor that wasn't NCAA tournament caliber. They were done, and I was not surprised that Florida jumped on them and put the game away quickly.

I feel really bad for Melson, but as I keep telling people, pressure does amazing things to players. Silas could very well shoot 85% from the foul line this year, but pressure can make you miss. That being said, he HAS TO make that foul shot. It's easier than hitting an off balance three pointer.

JWIII was out of his mind tonight. I am still not convinced the NBA is going to be interested in him, though, due to his lack of height. He just needs a couple more inches and he would be there. I hope I am wrong because he was just amazing tonight.

This wasn't a game for Larsen at all. Florida plays a small ball game that made him out of place. I haven't seen Texas yet, but I hope he can get some more playing time vs. the Horns.

Tillie fouling out killed GU as well. It forced GU to use Rui far more than they wanted to.

I commend Florida. That was an awesome display of toughness. Everytime I thought GU might run away, they stung GU with a 3 (they made 17 of them - way too much), or Chiozza just ate up GU's guards with dribble penetration.

I have no idea what GU was thinking with that play on offense at the end of regulation. ANY shot, even JWIII for a three pointer, was better than what they got.

Overall, a great effort from a Zag team that some people doubted going into the season.

They biggest issue with a tourney like this is that GU could very well go home 1-2. Texas is going to be a handful. GU is totally exhausted right now. I know they have an off day, but they will be playing in the early afternoon on Sunday. Not much recovery time. Let's hope they get out of this thing 2-1. It would have been nice to have taken on #1 Duke. GU still has not beaten a #1. It's a program accomplishment that hasn't been achieved yet.

Zags played hard, still lost. They will improve as the season rolls on.

They have a pretty tall task on Sunday vs. the Longhorns but after watching them tonight, I think they can compete with ANY team.

Hope you do too.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Really fun game. I really like this team. We are going to be a b*#ch for any team to play against us as this season goes along. Lots to like about this team. The weaknesses in November are obvious so I won’t bore everyone with the weaknesses because those things should improve over the next few months. Huge game in consolation vs Texas, GO Zags

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    If you want to accuse me of something.......don't dance around, step up. But you're way off topic. And very inappropriate.
    You dont like a guy with his tattoos, his crossover, flashy style playing pg... its obvious. And the fact you already know where i am going makes you seem guilty as charged.

So explain your reasoning Abe. Tell us why you STILL dont like Perkins?

Dude has balls the size of your head. Has come up clutch multiple times this year... shoots over 50% from three which is ridiculous, 83 % from the free throw line, and has a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio, which for a guy with the ball in his hands who also has to create and score.. is pretty good in itself. He is clearly the best point guard on the team.. my 3 year old cousin could see that as well. Coming in to this year i thought he was better as a shooting guard-- and that could be true still. But to just think he is not very good still?

Please explain Abe why you dont like him? I still have yet to see a good argument from you in your defense. 98% of college coaches would LOVE to have him on their team.

I'm confused by this "dislike of Perkins" thing. What's the story? He's looked pretty great to me thus far.

They play at 10am.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Zags played hard, still lost. They will improve as the season rolls on.

They have a pretty tall task on Sunday vs. the Longhorns but after watching them tonight, I think they can compete with ANY team.

Hope you do too.
    I do!! would have LOVED to see them take on Duke because people think they are the # 1 team in college basketball..

Even with the loss i think we could hold our own with them or anyone. Just gotta stay out of foul trouble.

The biggest weakness that GU has this year: they lack a backup point guard for Josh.
    Said the same thing all game. If Jesse is healthy enough Few must figure out a way to get him 10mpg.

I can't recall a team making 17 3's on us before.

Has that happened in recent memory?

I recall St Mary's dropping 16 3's on us a couple years ago and that stuck in my mind...

Hard to win any game when you give up 17 three pointers. And the Zags almost did!

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Said the same thing all game. If Jesse is healthy enough Few must figure out a way to get him 10mpg.
    just made this post. all thinking along the same lines

And it wasn’t like many of them were uncontested.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Hard to win any game when you give up 17 three pointers. And the Zags almost did!
    That Hudson was hitting shots from all angles. Guy gets 3 feet off the floor on his jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    And each Zag seemed to take a turn at missing one in the early minutes of the game. If any one of those goes in...

Well it was a very close game.either side could have won. Sure there's no backup for Josh. We've got a shortage of 1..less so for the 2 spot. Jesse will be capable but not with a bum shoulder.
    We have superior bigs.....nobody's contested that. Larsen and Rui need to get going and soon. Out front, I fully agree we're just short. When Josh is off the court, that subtraction may not matter so much against some of the teams we've played but when it comes to the high end teams, it's a hugely palpable los.
    Josh is improving so much it's hard to imagine playing a tough squad without him.
    Also, it's good to remember that nobody WANTS to perform badly. More experience by the newer players will be required. In the meantime, we just ran short of leadership players who can score and manage a hard game. It'll get better as the season continues. Still though, with only one kid who plays the 1 spot well, this might be a chronic problem. Adjustments will help but it's pretty obvious we need support out front. I do think we have an EE team if nobody gets injured. Josh is playing as well as he can or as well as we might expect. He can't do much more. We're just short. Who knows, with some luck Jesse might get better or at least play 10 mins per game. He's a smart PG and shoots very well. Crossing fingers here.

My one complaint (Other than the refs not letting us rebound) is why do we have kispert in the game at the end when up 2 instead of Jones? Love kispert but fl went right at him for the tying layup.

Quote Originally Posted by El Zag View Post
    playing to not lose all over again,,
    What? You cannot be serious lol. We manned up and went toe to toe with someone that will be a title contender. We went back and forth all game long. We had several shots to win that game sure, a missed FT a terrible end of regulation play but it's whatever. Those were two GREAT teams out there battling back and forth changing leads more than I changed spots on my couch. Both teams answered the bell on multiple occasions. If we didn't lose Perkins and Tillie the outcome may be diffferent. Shows we need to rotate a bit more. Chill out man. This was just an instant classic. There was nothing in your quote above that I saw tonight. I've seen it with GU before and this was not the case not even a small tiny bit
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.